• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Loved those comments from Rennie. Great minds clearly think alike or he's been reading GaGR!

You've basically got G&GR and Roar as the push of the fan in rugby in Australia. Oh ofc social media etc. But any rugby professional would do a lot worse in looking at these two fora to get a feel for the fan thinking.

Frenchy

Bob McCowan (2)
Loved those comments from Rennie. Great minds clearly think alike or he's been reading GaGR!

What a praise from Rennie on JOC (James O'Connor). Sounded like a total consecration. For Wallabies 10, to start, but with clear hint that captaincy is on the cards as well.

And it looks more and more like Petaia could be given a crack at 15. Very interesting prospect.

If he does well there it solves a big issue, and frees up a spot for one more quality winger. Australia's backline could look really damn good on paper.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'm not sure we're THAT light on at hooker. Fainga'a & BPA are proven test hookers. Mafi has been there abouts for a while now. Kaitu'u has also been good.
100% agree that none of the fullbacks have really done anything all that impressive. I'm a little surprised Campbell hasn't been in the mix, while I do feel like he's simply not a test level player he and Banks have been the form 15's. And with Hodge out now might be in that conversation.

And Jordie I'm skeptical on, but if he can consistently play like he did against the Brumbies every week than he can play wherever he bloody wants, but I'd still want to see him giving 15 a crack at Super before I throw him in there against the AB's. Probably too late in SRAU now but if he gets some time against the Kiwi teams and they give him a thorough testing then I guess I'm happy to give him a crack at it, but he's gotta be consistent with it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It
I'm not sure we're THAT light on at hooker. Fainga'a & BPA are proven test hookers. Mafi has been there abouts for a while now. Kaitu'u has also been good.
100% agree that none of the fullbacks have really done anything all that impressive. I'm a little surprised Campbell hasn't been in the mix, while I do feel like he's simply not a test level player he and Banks have been the form 15's. And with Hodge out now might be in that conversation.

And Jordie I'm skeptical on, but if he can consistently play like he did against the Brumbies every week than he can play wherever he bloody wants, but I'd still want to see him giving 15 a crack at Super before I throw him in there against the AB's. Probably too late in SRAU now but if he gets some time against the Kiwi teams and they give him a thorough testing then I guess I'm happy to give him a crack at it, but he's gotta be consistent with it.

What was revealing by thorn and JOC (James O'Connor) in reds brumbies post match discussion on Jordy is how much extra work he does outside scheduled training sessions. This is what makes Jordy a real quality player and why he has a high ceiling as yes has the talent but does not just rely on that and puts In the extra hard yards to improve and be the best he can be. This to me is why he will almost without doubt prove the knockers wrong as sounds like kind of guy who will work his socks off to constantly improve. Wish we had more of his type with that mindset in rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You've basically got G&GR and Roar as the push of the fan in rugby in Australia. Oh ofc social media etc. But any rugby professional would do a lot worse in looking at these two fora to get a feel for the fan thinking.

I would think players would avoid these sites as not sure hearing what keyboard warriors have to say is who they want to be listening to.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
But do you really want to be blooding a lock at 32. I'm not sure he's better enough than our other options to justify picking someone of his age. MAYBE if we have an injury or two and want someone to just plug in. But I'd imagine Sitaleki Timani is the other option to fill that role.

Yes.. Yes.. can you see what his done as a player thgis year and last..I bet every day you would want him in your team... Timani is no Neville

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Wright has been one of the genuine finds of the last couple of years. I predict a long career in gold for him if he wants it.

Its the confidence, I heard when i first met him... he walked in with a confidence .. a dick .. biggerr then everyone
its how he came back last 2 weeks.. he thinks his better then everyone .. and he is

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah Timani didn't really cut it the first time. Not sure he will get a cap unless we cop a lot of injuries.

His big his strong... I stillHate him.. he shagged one of my best friends.. and i didnt agree she shagged him.. i said he sucked at rugby... lol.. Nevilles better

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
lol that hiis 6.6 and his lucky his in the brumbies said.. and go fuck your self.. we dont teach bit idiots..
\

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
His big his strong. I stillHate him.. he shagged one of my best friends.. and i didnt agree she shagged him.. i said he sucked at rugby. lol.. Nevilles better

This post reminds me of what Dru said on this very page:

Any rugby professional would do a lot worse in looking at these two fora to get a feel for the fan thinking.

I expect Rennie will be now having real second thoughts about Timani based on him shagging one of Tomikins mates. It's this type of piercing analysis that sets GGR apart.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This post reminds me of what Dru said on this very page:

I expect Rennie will be now having real second thoughts about Timani based on him shagging one of Tomikins mates. It's this type of piercing analysis that sets GGR apart.

Soft chuckle. Baba, I wasn't thinking that coaching teams would be checking fan thoughts on who they should select, or how a team should play. Or even really players checking out if they are god this week. But I do think a professional rugby administrator should be checking regularly into the main fora to see if what they are doing is gelling with the crowd or putting them off. I don't think they should be making decisions around it per se, but it is certainly background info.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

What have they proven exactly?

They've played test rugby but not produced any consistent form at that level. They're hardly standouts at test level either and none of them seem to have particularly high ceilings.

With the likes of players like Malcolm Marx and Dane Coles, hooker has become an elite position in terms of the overall influence they can have on a game. I feel like the Wallabies have been a long way short of anyone that good at hooker for a long time.

No one would look at the Wallabies hooking options and think we're well stocked in that area. I wouldn't confuse having a bunch of players who all seem like much of a muchness as far as selection is concerned as being reasonably stocked at hooker. We've got a bunch of similar options because we don't have any standouts as opposed to having several really strong options to pick between.