• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
If (and big if) people insist on true origin for QLD and NSW then make a third BaBas team for everyone else. But the everyone else gets players who were not born or at least played during their high school.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If (and big if) people insist on true origin for QLD and NSW then make a third BaBas team for everyone else. But the everyone else gets players who were not born or at least played during their high school.
I don’t think the other states need to be combined. Wouldn’t you want to see Vic vs WA? There is more than enough players across SS, QLD Prems, Super Rugby, etc. to easily find numbers. 5pm kick off before the main event of NSW vs QLD at 730

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
As much as I would like to see WA play I would want them to be playing NSW and QLD not VIC as an ongoing thing.

While the Allies didn't really work in AFL I think BaBas would work in rugby as the concept is established. You could run it as neutral uniform and home state/country (eg Fiji) socks or gold shirts, blue shorts and socks that represent SA/ACT

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just start with Kiss approach and start with nsw and qld and once working consider adding a combined states side...learn to crawl then walk and then run

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Do you though? Like they may not be super interested in the concept (and maybe they would) but disenfranchise them?

Disenfrcise is probably a strong word, but you do have to remember that one of the excluded states will be WA and considering history...can you imagine the meltdownd

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Let's assume that BaBas team the worst of the three schedule over three weeks as

BaBa v Qld
BaBa v NSW
Qld v NSW

Last game serves as a final. If you really want to wring another week throw in an actual final. If needed you could compress the first two games to a wed/Sat which leaves you with two more Saturdays free.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Let's assume that BaBas team the worst of the three schedule over three weeks as

BaBa v Qld
BaBa v NSW
Qld v NSW

Last game serves as a final. If you really want to wring another week throw in an actual final. If needed you could compress the first two games to a wed/Sat which leaves you with two more Saturdays free.
I’d much rather a forward pack from Victoria with Uelese, Valetini, Samu, Hosea, Faulkner, Fa’amasuili, Leota up against Godwin, DHP, Hardwick, Tizzano etc. to settle proper state grudges. Just like Bell, Philip, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Dempsey bashing it up against JOC (James O'Connor), To'omua, Petaia etc.

Wouldn’t expect a game against NSW or QLD. Play Vic vs WA twice and QLD vs NSW twice.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Disenfrcise is probably a strong word, but you do have to remember that one of the excluded states will be WA and considering history.can you imagine the meltdownd

I don't think it is at all. Invited in because they are needed, but then left adrift for the big ball.

Nup. One thing that is quite constant to me is the need for a National footprint. NSW and Q does simply not cut it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

BaBa v Qld
BaBa v NSW
Qld v NSW

Not going to lie but I have zero interest in watching this series, point of state of origin is that it’s a clear step up from NRL. This tournament wouldn’t be, if anything I’d argue it would be a step down In quality given they’re consolidating from 5 from 3 teams and a mishmash of players.

I see little point in a state based origin concept given super rugby teams also represent states(minus Melbourne). And looking at the Reds, most players are local players or come through the grassroots anyway so that parochial link already exists at that level.

Personally I would rather watch a Pasifika vs Barbarians match.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not going to lie but I have zero interest in watching this series, point of state of origin is that it’s a clear step up from NRL. This tournament wouldn’t be, if anything I’d argue it would be a step down In quality given they’re consolidating from 5 from 3 teams and a mishmash of players.

Adam, for me this discussion starts with the KIWI outrage that our teams aren't strong enough subsequently supported by RA into the shrink to greatness policy. The only time you would (well that I would) put it out there is in a TT where reach reduced numbers were demanded.

But it may also follow a domestic where the number of teams was increased and the strength in consolidation more obvious.

You are right though. It's getting very convoluted.

Where things are headed is a straight TT with Kiwi approved friends and no domestic. Time will tell whether this is enough of a departure from Super to make the product in Australia (considerably) more successful. I have not supported the proposal, but I do really hope they are right and a success it is.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, a bodgy league knock-off won't help anything.

No. But a good league knock-off with a rugby background and a fan support may have things to offer. It's just as silly to have a policy of "never means never" as it is to pay over the odds for any level of league success.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Fuck State of Origin. We have the states playing each other week-in-week-out in Super Rugby.

Fuck "representative" teams and the Baa Baa's playing each other -- the representative teams are too close to the Super Rugby teams in terms of identity.

We have to think of unique and truly interesting ideas that can capture the interest of the Australian public. To do that it has to be novel, dynamic and unpredictable.

How's this?

Context:
  • All Union and League fans grew up playing touch footy, which is essentially non-tackle league. This typically worked with picking two captains, and the captains pick players sequentially.
  • We've all lamented that we don't have a draft in Australian rugby: the NFL and the AFL have one, and it's a major event that generates huge interest because of how gamified and unpredictable it is, and what fans can learn from it.
The Idea:
"Green vs. Gold": a 3 game series in Sydney, Brisbane, and one other city.
  • RA picks two coaches from the Australian Rugby scene -- these can be up and comers or established coaches. E.g. Darren Coleman could be a pick, as everyones always suggested he COULD be Super Rugby worthy, but hasn't had a crack.
  • The two captains of the two bottom placed teams in Super Rugby AU are designated captains of 'Green' and 'Gold' respectively.
  • The captains pick the coach they want to work with, and then spend a week formulating a plan together.
  • We have a televised draft: the captains and coach pick sequentially their squad from a pool of all Super Rugby AU players.
  • Some rules would be formulated: you can't pick the same position twice in a row, you can't pick more than X players from a single position etc.
Novelty / Interest Factor:
  • We'd generate a huge amount of interesting content -- why did the captains pick certain players first? What players were overlooked? Who do the players rate more or less than we do?
  • It'd generate conversation: "WHAT? Hooper didn't pick a single Waratahs player in his squad? Who could blame him? They fucking suck".
  • We'd see interesting squads mixed, and it would be a quasi-Wallabies trial as the best of the best are playing against each other.
ANOTHER IDEA (To functionally replace the NRC): "Contender Series"
  • When the Wallabies season starts, each Super Rugby team (without Wallaby representatives and internationals) play a team picked from their local competition. These games are televised and shown over sequential weekends.
  • E.g. Week 1: Waratahs vs Shute Shield Representative XV
    • Week 2: Reds vs. Hospital Cup Representative XV

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Fuck State of Origin. We have the states playing each other week-in-week-out in Super Rugby.

Fuck "representative" teams and the Baa Baa's playing each other -- the representative teams are too close to the Super Rugby teams in terms of identity.
Yep you're right.

[*]We have a televised draft: the captains and coach pick sequentially their squad from a pool of all Super Rugby AU players.
A nice idea, but it doesn't work well.

South Africa just tried this same green v gold captains' pick. It didn't surprise by being the worst game played in the Republic last year, despite having the pick of the crop.

We do have other better options to add content.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

We have to think of unique and truly interesting ideas that can capture the interest of the Australian public. To do that it has to be novel, dynamic and unpredictable.

How's this?

Context:
  • All Union and League fans grew up playing touch footy, which is essentially non-tackle league. This typically worked with picking two captains, and the captains pick players sequentially.
  • We've all lamented that we don't have a draft in Australian rugby: the NFL and the AFL have one, and it's a major event that generates huge interest because of how gamified and unpredictable it is, and what fans can learn from it.
The Idea:

"Green vs. Gold": a 3 game series in Sydney, Brisbane, and one other city.
  • RA picks two coaches from the Australian Rugby scene -- these can be up and comers or established coaches. E.g. Darren Coleman could be a pick, as everyones always suggested he COULD be Super Rugby worthy, but hasn't had a crack.
  • The two captains of the two bottom placed teams in Super Rugby AU are designated captains of 'Green' and 'Gold' respectively.
  • The captains pick the coach they want to work with, and then spend a week formulating a plan together.
  • We have a televised draft: the captains and coach pick sequentially their squad from a pool of all Super Rugby AU players.
  • Some rules would be formulated: you can't pick the same position twice in a row, you can't pick more than X players from a single position etc.
Novelty / Interest Factor:

• We'd generate a huge amount of interesting content -- why did the captains pick certain players first? What players were overlooked? Who do the players rate more or less than we do?
  • It'd generate conversation: "WHAT? Hooper didn't pick a single Waratahs player in his squad? Who could blame him? They fucking suck".
  • We'd see interesting squads mixed, and it would be a quasi-Wallabies trial as the best of the best are playing against each other.
ANOTHER IDEA (To functionally replace the NRC): "Contender Series"

• When the Wallabies season starts, each Super Rugby team (without Wallaby representatives and internationals) play a team picked from their local competition. These games are televised and shown over sequential weekends.
  • E.g. Week 1: Waratahs vs Shute Shield Representative XV
    • Week 2: Reds vs. Hospital Cup Representative XV

When the conversation about SoU first came up this is what I actually preferred. A 'Green vs Gold' Series. So I'd support what you're suggesting. In fact, I like both ideas and think they should implemented in some form or the other.

I would like to suggest a few tweaks though. Instead of RA selecting two coaches. Have two squads featuring Dave Rennie's selection (Gold) and one selected by the fans (Green). Or at the very least look to introduce a level of fan engagement in the process. May be a group of 60 players are selected and then depending on votes split between the teams. I think that would be pretty interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.