• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
What have they proven exactly?

They've played test rugby but not produced any consistent form at that level. They're hardly standouts at test level either and none of them seem to have particularly high ceilings.

With the likes of players like Malcolm Marx and Dane Coles, hooker has become an elite position in terms of the overall influence they can have on a game. I feel like the Wallabies have been a long way short of anyone that good at hooker for a long time.

No one would look at the Wallabies hooking options and think we're well stocked in that area. I wouldn't confuse having a bunch of players who all seem like much of a muchness as far as selection is concerned as being reasonably stocked at hooker. We've got a bunch of similar options because we don't have any standouts as opposed to having several really strong options to pick between.

This is Andrew Ready's fault he had a breakout season for the Reds then went right off the boil too lazy and firey to stay in that environment and was let go, clearly didn't work on anything and let himself go a real shame he could of been a main stable had he wanted to put in the work. He should be nowhere near even conversations for higher honours and that is a reality of his own creation.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm a little torn atm - on one hand i want established centre pairings at Super Rugby level to then kick on to test, much like Nonu and Smith did for so long. Eg Simone/Ikitau and Paisami/Petaia.

On the other hand, we have 3 shit hot options who all seem to want to play 13, which is also not bad as competition will drive them all higher, but we don't want them all playing 13, and then force 2 of them to play a different position at test level.

Ideally though, somehow Paisami, Ikitau and Petaia are all in the team. For me, that means Paisami (as i've said before Horan was even saying) should decide he's playing 12 and not budge on that. Has all the skills required other than his tendency to telegraph his L-R pass, thought that is something that could and should be ironed out very quickly. Everything about him screams 12 to me. Those rushes out of the line for a big hit can just as effective as a good line break, but you're far more likely to fuck it up at 13, than 12. So for me, Paisami is our 12.

Ikitau - good grief, was a little quiet against the Reds (and huge credit to Flook for that), but he looks pure gold, and seems a more natural fit at 13 than Paisami. They will make one hell of a combination going forward.

Petaia - at this stage, i'd be happy for him to follow the Umaga/Mortlock progression of using their freak skills on the end of a movement, while he learns to calm his mind and use those skills to put other people into space. That puts him on a wing, for the moment, but the idea of him at fullback is mouth watering.

I'm all for Banks/Latho 2.0, but i can see what people are saying about him just not quite owning matches. That said, neither did Latham until he was 29, then for 3 years he was the best fullback in the world. I'd wager Banks will do similar, and until Jordy can kick as well as Banks, TBH i'd be having Jordy as strike impact from the bench.

The wings atm are locked in with MK and Wright, and Banks compliments them well, so i'd be going with that.

Wright is the smokey though - has everything required to play any back position other than 9, but seems so at home out on the wing. If Banks wasn't at the Brumbies/got injured then Wright would be the only logical option to replace him, and it feels that way for test level atm as well, until Petaia can prove consistency and that he can kick as well/better.

JOC (James O'Connor) vs Lolesio - i'll wager Lolesio is the bloke that lifts the RWC and plays 100 tests at 10, but JOC (James O'Connor) has the experience/runs on the board atm and both are superb options, and excellent goal kickers.

10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. MK
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Banks

22. Lolesio
23. Petaia

IMO, that's the best we can roll out atm, and it makes me turgid. Get Arnold back in combo with Neville (fuck Rodd the sook), with Phillip, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hosea and maybe Timani for depth, and a backrow of Valetini, Wilson and McReight/Hooper, and fuck me we have a special team lining up.

It's up to you now Mr Rennie!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'm a little torn atm - on one hand i want established centre pairings at Super Rugby level to then kick on to test, much like Nonu and Smith did for so long. Eg Simone/Ikitau and Paisami/Petaia.

On the other hand, we have 3 shit hot options who all seem to want to play 13, which is also not bad as competition will drive them all higher, but we don't want them all playing 13, and then force 2 of them to play a different position at test level.

Ideally though, somehow Paisami, Ikitau and Petaia are all in the team. For me, that means Paisami (as i've said before Horan was even saying) should decide he's playing 12 and not budge on that. Has all the skills required other than his tendency to telegraph his L-R pass, thought that is something that could and should be ironed out very quickly. Everything about him screams 12 to me. Those rushes out of the line for a big hit can just as effective as a good line break, but you're far more likely to fuck it up at 13, than 12. So for me, Paisami is our 12.

Ikitau - good grief, was a little quiet against the Reds (and huge credit to Flook for that), but he looks pure gold, and seems a more natural fit at 13 than Paisami. They will make one hell of a combination going forward.

Petaia - at this stage, i'd be happy for him to follow the Umaga/Mortlock progression of using their freak skills on the end of a movement, while he learns to calm his mind and use those skills to put other people into space. That puts him on a wing, for the moment, but the idea of him at fullback is mouth watering.

I'm all for Banks/Latho 2.0, but i can see what people are saying about him just not quite owning matches. That said, neither did Latham until he was 29, then for 3 years he was the best fullback in the world. I'd wager Banks will do similar, and until Jordy can kick as well as Banks, TBH i'd be having Jordy as strike impact from the bench.

The wings atm are locked in with MK and Wright, and Banks compliments them well, so i'd be going with that.

Wright is the smokey though - has everything required to play any back position other than 9, but seems so at home out on the wing. If Banks wasn't at the Brumbies/got injured then Wright would be the only logical option to replace him, and it feels that way for test level atm as well, until Petaia can prove consistency and that he can kick as well/better.

JOC (James O'Connor) vs Lolesio - i'll wager Lolesio is the bloke that lifts the RWC and plays 100 tests at 10, but JOC (James O'Connor) has the experience/runs on the board atm and both are superb options, and excellent goal kickers.

10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. MK
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Banks

22. Lolesio
23. Petaia

It's up to you know Mr Rennie!

Fortunately he has a broader perspective than the average Ponies fan.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

TBF, it is close to the backline/reserves Rennie went with in a few tests last last year, with the two major exceptions being no Hodge (who from memory is injured?), and Ikitau for Petaia, which form-wise is spot on.

As for Petaia, despite his talents he's not really the best option in any position, although wing is probably his best position right now as it helps to conceal his flaws, but a bench spot is most ideal as he covers a few positions.

Obviously the other main consideration is To'omua at 12, pushing Paisami to 13.......... but I feel that persisting with Paisami at 12 to refine his skillset is the best future planning.

Banks has been in good form the past month, but is probably holding onto that position as being the best of the rest.......... by the time the RWC rolls on I'm sure Rennie will be contemplating other options - Petaia, Maddocks, Wright......... and a bit left field - Muirhead?

Vunivalu will surely come into consideration at some point as well........... with the money RA have paid for him, he must.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Is there any chance Koro is overlooked -- he's been a main stay but the Rebs haven't even looked like wanting to score a try all season, and your wingers job is to score tries first and foremost mix in his tactical weakness and MAYBE he hasn't shown enough. (I'm not advocating for this, just wonder if anyone thinks it's possible he gets left out for Jordies or Muirhead, perhaps Vuni after a few SRTT games.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't think so. He's the only Rebels back that's looked halfway dangerous. And he has plenty on the board for the Wallabies.

He's pretty much first picked.

Nah nah nah, Rennie has a broader perspective than the average Ponies fan. Ramm and Maddocks are the obvious options.

(Sorry to those two, they're legit great players but couldn't remember any other outside backs at the Tahs to use as bait)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nah nah nah, Rennie has a broader perspective than the average Ponies fan. Ramm and Maddocks are the obvious options.

(Sorry to those two, they're legit great players but couldn't remember any other outside backs at the Tahs to use as bait)

Newsome? surely. How'd you miss that chance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I'm confused how you've ended up here from the suggestion that Koroibete is the first back picked (which I think he pretty clearly is).

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is there any chance Koro is overlooked -- he's been a main stay but the Rebs haven't even looked like wanting to score a try all season, and your wingers job is to score tries first and foremost mix in his tactical weakness and MAYBE he hasn't shown enough. (I'm not advocating for this, just wonder if anyone thinks it's possible he gets left out for Jordies or Muirhead, perhaps Vuni after a few SRTT games.

While he might not be scoring tries he is doing so much around the field. The guy is amazing and there isn't a chance he is left out. He would cover the most metres of any back three player by a mile.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My take at the moment is that the backs most locked into the starting XV are:

JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, Paisami at 12 or 13 and Koroibete at 11.

White, Wright, To'omua and Banks would be the frontrunners for the other positions but there is far more uncertainty there.

Given the overall lack of experience in a lot of positions, I expect Rennie will be keen to start the test season with White, JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua at 9/10/12 if they are available. To'omua's form is the most questionable of late but I think his experience will win out.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Chuckle. You chaps can give it, but you cannot take it (as an old mate of mine used to say).:)

I can take (I welcome them, that's how progress is made) well argued retorts any day of the week, but you were exceptionally lazy with that critique, and resorting to provincial bias is not a strong foundation for Tahs fans to be building on right now.

:)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Vefry insightful Wamb. Just where do you think Rennie might be severely at odds with that backline. I reckon it will be close to Test 1, although I would personally prefer Petaia on the wing in place of MK.