• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Any analysis of Angus Chrichton needs to include the position he would occupy.
I would imagine 6, 7, and 12 would suit his current League playing style and position but he brings negatives to each slot.
Too short for 6.
No current experience of jackaling for 7.
Current passing skills too slow for 12.
(as I write I have fond recollections of Will Miller running off Crichton's hip for several tries whilst at Scots)

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
He could not pass the bloody ball. Or would not. Other than that he might have been okay. But at least he would not have had to kick the ball. He could not do that either.

He could jump, fantastically well, and he could run. He could defend okay. Other than that he was pretty ordinary.

Oh that's right he was a very average player; he wasn't the face of Australian rugby or leading metrics like line breaks and tries scored across the Australian teams.

He was by far the most dangerous ball-runner Australian rugby has had in close to a decade (he wasn't just a finisher either- he regularly set up outside men).

He didn't come up through the pathways and play for Eastwood though..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I always amazed me how people rated players who could kick and pass better than Folau as being better overall rugby players than Folau because of Folau's obvious flaws yet seemed to completely discount the fact that the things Folau could do well were pretty much the best in world rugby.

Folau would still easily be the Wallabies fullback if he hadn't screwed everything up.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
So, yeah, I'm behind the times, but I see Todd Louden is coaching Southern Districts. Is he still a star coach of the future, and would he come into the reckoning for the Waratahs? He was the next big thing when coaching Uni.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting that they are announcing it as signing with Waratahs and Rugby Australia. Some help from the National body to fund his return? I did like what I saw of him at the Sunwolves.

In the Stan Sport Waratahs Special Paul Doorn was clear that they were trying to align with RA on overseas player signings. It seems like Scott Johnson's main role is to talk to the many players overseas. I doubt that all the people he talks would be offered contracts with RA but just they would be given an opportunity in Super Rugby to prove themselves.

If RA do tip in some $$$ as the tahs get a player and only pay half the wage.

Remember Jim Mackay was an RA hire and I'd expect them to have a strong hand in appointing the Waratahs HC.

Reactions: TSR

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
So, yeah, I'm behind the times, but I see Todd Louden is coaching Southern Districts. Is he still a star coach of the future, and would he come into the reckoning for the Waratahs? He was the next big thing when coaching Uni.

Was there last year too

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Any analysis of Angus Chrichton needs to include the position he would occupy.
I would imagine 6, 7, and 12 would suit his current League playing style and position but he brings negatives to each slot.
Too short for 6.
No current experience of jackaling for 7.
Current passing skills too slow for 12.
(as I write I have fond recollections of Will Miller running off Crichton's hip for several tries whilst at Scots)

Hence why I say his best position at rep level will be #20. Club I’d say #6 and a fill in at 6/8 for the Tahs. He’s very similar to Dempsey size wise, and was actually his understudy his first year in Aus schools.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I was extremely saddened by the passing of Tommy Raudonikis, one of the many NSW players I greatly admired for the way he played the game and more importantly the pride in whatever jumper he was wearing (was also smart enough to cross the Tweed in the right direction in later life :p) anyway back on topic, I was thinking about what NSW had lost and I reckon the 'tahs need to find some blokes that had the same passion for the sky blue he and his contemporaries had. Rebuilding a culture of pride in representing their state and playing for more than just the pay cheque.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I was extremely saddened by the passing of Tommy Raudonikis, one of the many NSW players I greatly admired for the way he played the game and more importantly the pride in whatever jumper he was wearing (was also smart enough to cross the Tweed in the right direction in later life :p) anyway back on topic, I was thinking about what NSW had lost and I reckon the 'tahs need to find some blokes that had the same passion for the sky blue he and his contemporaries had. Rebuilding a culture of pride in representing their state and playing for more than just the pay cheque.

FG, I think Hooper goes closest to embodying that of those around the Tahs right now.

And Chris Whittaker - I don't think he's the best choice for head coach, but he bleeds blue. It would be great if he could remain part of the coaching team into the future.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I was extremely saddened by the passing of Tommy Raudonikis. I was thinking about what NSW had lost and I reckon the 'tahs need to find some blokes that had the same passion for the sky blue he and his contemporaries had. Rebuilding a culture of pride in representing their state and playing for more than just the pay cheque.

Different sport, different times. Raudonikis had a pretty tough upbringing. Rugby players these days (particularly the little darlings that seem to be favoured by the NSW selectors) mostly have a gilded background and a golden ride into the team.

One answer might be to require any player who is considered to be in contention for a Waratahs contract to leave his "preferred" club and move to one of the strugglers for at least one season. Eat some dirt for a change.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One answer might be to require any player who is considered to be in contention for a Waratahs contract to leave his "preferred" club and move to one of the strugglers for at least one season. Eat some dirt for a change.

Weird. Or to put it another way, what is your constructive answer to the question?

Apologies for the dig.

I was angling at the fact that Eastwood seems to consider it more closely aligned to one of the strugglers who eat dirt as opposed to one of the blue ribbon clubs in the Shute Shield.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Apologies for the dig.

I was angling at the fact that Eastwood seems to consider it more closely aligned to one of the strugglers who eat dirt as opposed to one of the blue ribbon clubs in the Shute Shield.

It is funny how that has changed, a thousand years ago, if you were any good you were told to change clubs and if you ended up at Randwick there was a major chance you ended up in the Wobs (a mate of mine did and did)

Reactions: dru