• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Double Agent

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not sure if this was a strange Foxsports rugby dig... or I am def paranoid. They are running promos for an upcoming Matty Johns interview with Karmichael Hunt who has signed a train and trial deal with the Brisbane Broncos. He's playing in local Brisbane league comp. In the promo Johns mentions something about everything that Hunt has done since he left league.. but they only show footage of him playing AFL for the Suns... absolutely no rugby footage. You'd kinda' think being a dual international they'd show some Reds, Tahs or Wallabies footage. Benefit of the doubt is that they've lost usage rights to all rugby footage now that Stan have it.... or are they just being pathetically petty and not acknowledging rugby? Whatever, I am really enjoying Stan coverage and glad it left them. Okay, heading back into my Faraday Cage.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Not sure if this was a strange Foxsports rugby dig. or I am def paranoid. They are running promos for an upcoming Matty Johns interview with Karmichael Hunt who has signed a train and trial deal with the Brisbane Broncos. He's playing in local Brisbane league comp. In the promo Johns mentions something about everything that Hunt has done since he left league.. but they only show footage of him playing AFL for the Suns. absolutely no rugby footage. You'd kinda' think being a dual international they'd show some Reds, Tahs or Wallabies footage. Benefit of the doubt is that they've lost usage rights to all rugby footage now that Stan have it.. or are they just being pathetically petty and not acknowledging rugby? Whatever, I am really enjoying Stan coverage and glad it left them. Okay, heading back into my Faraday Cage.

Michael Faraday! What a man!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Benefit of the doubt is that they've lost usage rights to all rugby footage now that Stan have it..

I'd say that's it - given the number of older games Stan has put up in the catalogue, it looks like the rights deal was lock, stock and barrel.

The lesson: always retain ownership of your data.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Watching some of club rugby matches today on Stan has me wanting a club championship immediately following the club comps , logistical costs make the scope of the tournament prohibitive, so number and length are limited.

What I want to se is 2 pools of 4 teams, each teams plays the other teams in their pool once and the top two teams play the grand final(4 weeks all up):

Pool 1
-QPR 1
-Shute Shield 2
-WA 1
-John Dent 1

Pool 2
-Shute Shield 1
-QPR 2
-Dewar Shield 1
- WildCard*

Reactions: dru

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Watching some of club rugby matches today on Stan has me wanting a club championship immediately following the club comps , logistical costs make the scope of the tournament prohibitive, so number and length are limited.

What I want to se is 2 pools of 4 teams, each teams plays the other teams in their pool once and the top two teams play the grand final(4 weeks all up):

Pool 1
-QPR 1
-Shute Shield 2
-WA 1
-John Dent 1

Pool 2
-Shute Shield 1
-QPR 2
-Dewar Shield 1
- WildCard*

I'd expand them from 4 to 5 and include a WA, ACT and Vic rep squad to assume the wildcard and two extra place. 4 games a piece with pool winners play in the final. 5 weeks in total.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I don’t see a need to include a rep squad in a club championship

Just looking for a means to make it a little more inclusive. But if no rep squad then I'd still look to involve 10 clubs with either 3 from Brisbane and Sydney and then the winner of each of the other three competition the winner of a play off between the 2nd place Canberra and Perth team. Or just two clubs from each competition.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
SuperRugbyAU 9Gem
#FORvWAR 74,000

Again for comparison:

A-League Fox Sports
#MCYvMVC 11,000
#WUNvCCM 8,000

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think you need a Dewar shield rep side or else it'd be a spanking.

That's a big part of my thinking in suggesting rep squads. In any such structure I think total representation is a must. But I don't like the idea of Shute and QPR clubs annihilating clubs from other regions. I'd rather see a structure with 3 from each of the above plus the winner of the John Dent alongside a further rep squad from the ACT, Mel and Perth comps if that means they will be very competitive or even contenders.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If the clubs aren’t good enough to compete then I think you just increase the quota of QLD and NSW clubs rather making a rep team of the rest, which would ultimately be a team made up of the super rugby players from the Rebels, Brumbies and Force. If this rep team of professional players didn’t win a club competition then I’d be surprised.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
For Perth you could resurrect the Perth Spirit or the previous brand the Perth Gold as a rep team.

It could be limited to players who have played X # of games in the comp or less than y number of games in Super to make sure the squads don't become full of Super Rugby players. I would think WA would get behind the team and potentially with bigger crowds than just being a single club side