• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is there Fijian Drua team thread yet? I would love some complete fantasy- based on nothing - speculation about who may end up in the team!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The 12 Heartland Unions are aboard re: NZR-Silver Lake deal NZRPA looking like the only ones not:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/p...for-nz-rugbys-silver-lake-deal-to-be-approved

Concerning report that RA may not be fully supportive of Moana Pasifika and/ or Fiji Drua being part of Super Rugby v6.0:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...for-moana-pasifika-and-fiji-is-not-guaranteed
I just read as needs to make sure does not conflict with oz interests as far as bid goes and given how much nzru been involved and no doubt ensured there interests are represented I see this as reasonable.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I just read as needs to make sure does not conflict with oz interests as far as bid goes and given how much nzru been involved and no doubt ensured there interests are represented I see this as reasonable.

Yep I don't think there anything to sinister in it. I just hope it doesn't get squashed for any reason.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Concerning report that RA may not be fully supportive of Moana Pasifika and/ or Fiji Drua being part of Super Rugby v6.0:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...for-moana-pasifika-and-fiji-is-not-guaranteed

Concerning? Not in the slightest. A huge step forward for common sense and hopefully a growing understanding from NZR that they need to work with their partners not without them.

From Marino: “But I guess my view on this is that I think over time we have tended to try and make Super Rugby the solution for domestic rugby in our markets, as opposed as to what it was initially set out to be. That was to provide a blockbuster top-end, very quick, short and impactful competition structure, that complemented the domestic structure in each of the countries, not took over the domestic structures.”

That's the most heart-warming statement I have heard from RA in ages.
Next time, but I won't hold my breath, NZR might hold the press announcements until they actually do the negotiations and lock in their partners.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Concerning? Not in the slightest. A huge step forward for common sense and hopefully a growing understanding from NZR that they need to work with their partners not without them.

From Marino: “But I guess my view on this is that I think over time we have tended to try and make Super Rugby the solution for domestic rugby in our markets, as opposed as to what it was initially set out to be. That was to provide a blockbuster top-end, very quick, short and impactful competition structure, that complemented the domestic structure in each of the countries, not took over the domestic structures.”

Next time, but I won't hold my breath, NZR might hold the press announcements until they actually do the negotiations and lock in their partners.
Hope yet that SRAU will remain.

Perhaps could end up with SRAU (1 full round or 2) and a single round combined TT.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hope yet that SRAU will remain.

Perhaps could end up with SRAU (1 full round or 2) and a single round combined TT.

Yes, I'd like a post domestic TT. NZR to prove they have the costs of the two additions sorted. RA to properly protect Aus interests. In which case the issue is far from finalised.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Geez Dru, it was Moana Pacifika that called the press conference with NZR. But they had too as they and Drua had to have the go ahead in some way to get the sponsors etc they need to get it signed off by RA. I would of thought you would of been happy that NZR did all the work and so RA could just concentrate on Australian rugby.
And we know if the teams get turned down, who will be the ones responsible I suppose.;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yes, I'd like a post domestic TT. NZR to prove they have the costs of the two additions sorted. RA to properly protect Aus interests. In which case the issue is far from finalised.

Yep well if we had a one round dometic com and then full TT all Aus teams could get home and away matches with all other Aus teams. But whatever we will see in a few months I suppose.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Geez Dru, it was Moana Pacifika that called the press conference with NZR. But they had too as they and Drua had to have the go ahead in some way to get the sponsors etc they need to get it signed off by RA. I would of thought you would of been happy that NZR did all the work and so RA could just concentrate on Australian rugby.
And we know if the teams get turned down, who will be the ones responsible I suppose.;)

Its just the definition of "all the work" that I'm not quite sure of. Well lets hope there just as keen to do some of the heavy lifting as well. :)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Its just the definition of "all the work" that I'm not quite sure of. Well lets hope there just as keen to do some of the heavy lifting as well. :)

:) Actually in the press release , that I saw that was basically Bee Gee Williams, I am sure most of you saw it, Mark Robinson was in background and only really stepped forward to say something like "it conditional on the final moneys being attained by June 30th, and our partners in Australia signing off on it" . He also said that there had been continuous discussions with RA all through the whole thing and they were right up with play.
That was why I thought that paper report was a bit piss poor and really seemd to be trying to paint RA as seemingly trying to be diificult, when it was just what was said all along.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can I ask when reading this
(From Marino: “But I guess my view on this is that I think over time we have tended to try and make Super Rugby the solution for domestic rugby in our markets, as opposed as to what it was initially set out to be. That was to provide a blockbuster top-end, very quick, short and impactful competition structure, that complemented the domestic structure in each of the countries, not took over the domestic structures.”

When reading this I wonder what we all think domestic structures are. I personally don't considerthe Super teams from NZ or Australia as 'domestic' teams. That is what NRC and NPC are. And I actually agree with Marino, and do believe that Australia has maybe done by not having a level below. NZR has still got a proper domestic comp though. I really hope he is a man of his word and looks towards a proper domestic comp in Aus!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Can I ask when reading this
(From Marino: “But I guess my view on this is that I think over time we have tended to try and make Super Rugby the solution for domestic rugby in our markets, as opposed as to what it was initially set out to be. That was to provide a blockbuster top-end, very quick, short and impactful competition structure, that complemented the domestic structure in each of the countries, not took over the domestic structures.”

When reading this I wonder what we all think domestic structures are. I personally don't considerthe Super teams from NZ or Australia as 'domestic' teams. That is what NRC and NPC are. And I actually agree with Marino, and do believe that Australia has maybe done by not having a level below. NZR has still got a proper domestic comp though. I really hope he is a man of his word and looks towards a proper domestic comp in Aus!

Yes, a domestic competition is what we should be looking at - instead of rather than alongside Super Rugby in my view.

However, we've seen ARC and NRC fail because they have failed to engage the Sydney market. Sydney sports fans just won't buy into meaningless entities like the Sydney Fleet, Sydney Stars, Sydney Rays with any enthusiasm.

Any domestic competition will fail if it fails in Sydney, whether people like it or not that's just the way it is. NSWRU is part of the problem and needs to have no involvement.

I won't repost what I've posted on another thread. http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/australian-rugby-ra.12818/page-541

As I've noted on that thread, Wayne Bennett sums it up reasonably well.

“I am getting into it and buying into what it means to the club,” Bennett said.
“Everywhere you go fans grab you and remind you who you are playing.
“It’s what makes the game, it’s why I love it.

“It’s what people outside Sydney don’t get about Sydney – the genuine rivalry between the clubs here.
“Because that’s what the fans want here in Sydney. They embrace the national league, but they also embrace the club rivalry and unless you live in Sydney you didn’t realise how strong it is.”

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would embrace a new entity. I don't give two shits about the existing clubs. Vast majority of people my age couldn't even name one.

You blokes need to wake up if you think that's the future of Rugby in NSW.

And if i am wrong and it is, rugby is fucked.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I would embrace a new entity. I don't give two shits about the existing clubs. Vast majority of people my age couldn't even name one.

Some here may sneer at this statement, but Rugby in Australia could learn a lot from the MLR.

New, privately owned entities, independent of the managing Union, driven by profit. The MLR teams are currently small, but they're investing money in growing their fan bases and tribalism, because that's what's good for the bottom line, rather than what's good for the old boys network.

Without hyperbole, I'm more confident in the future of that competition than I am of Super Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Yep. If a proper WS franchise were to ever appear. My allegiances would immediately flip to it over the Tahs. The ARC failed due to being too close to the clubs. Providing them with too much ability to directly comment on the competitions and drive discontent among the bases. This even extends to the Tahs as demonstrated by all the 'controversy' stirred by Donaldson selection over Edmed by Edmed's club coach. The NRC actually didn't fail. Acted in the means it was intended and frankly should have been maintained.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
but all in all shows why RA (and all rugby boards) have got an uphill battle. Even the few that come in here and post can't really agree what is best it seems. Still it fun seeing everyone's ideas.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Some here may sneer at this statement, but Rugby in Australia could learn a lot from the MLR.

New, privately owned entities, independent of the managing Union, driven by profit. The MLR teams are currently small, but they're investing money in growing their fan bases and tribalism, because that's what's good for the bottom line, rather than what's good for the old boys network.

Without hyperbole, I'm more confident in the future of that competition than I am of Super
Rugby

Mate, I'm an avid MLR follower. I most definitely wouldn't sneer at the suggestion. In fact, my suggestion of an independent org. to run Super Rugby is directly based off MLR's structure. Something I also would like to see emulated is the MLR pilot program that is designed to reach over 60k schools by 2023 that helps provide the basic kit and extensive instruction to schools via the use of online resources such as QR codes etc. Alongside direct links to their respective MLR franchise. All little things that can have an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.