• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby RD 9 Rebels v Brumbies

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
For every good thing To'omua does he seems to balance it out with a poor choice. His form at the moment isnt super encouraging for the Wallabies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Two very iffy refs and both are ex Reds No 9s. Neither is Super ready.

Having said that, the Brumbies always were in control. Best was Rob Valetini with Tom Wright, Darcy Swain and Tom Banks also having strong games. Joe Powell best for the Rebels.

Reckon To'omua confirmed my view that he isn't Wallaby worthy this year.

EDIT : Koroibete also put in a poor shift.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Sorry but this is laughable. Yellow card against Hosea was a joke, and Hardwick stole that fair and square. I’d be absolutely ropeable if I was the Rebels.

Refereeing performance seems to affirm that there really is little understanding about the rules around the maul and the default is to just reward perceived dominance.

I thought I was going insane. That first half was excruciating to watch as a Rebels fan. It felt like every marginal call went against us whereas the Brumbies were just coached by the Ref. Always given benefit of the doubt.

Embarrassing the Brumbies only won by 6 with that massive advantage.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Having said that, the Brumbies always were in control. Best was Rob Valetini with Tome Wright, Darcy Swain and Tom Banks also having strong games. Joe Powell best for the Rebels.

Another weekend, another time the Brumbies scrum got spanked.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
The scrum is a concern, as is closing out games, doesn't bode well for the final.

I do wonder though, why the fuck does anyone run anywhere near Valetini without making it really obvious you passed it 2+ phases ago?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Refereeing performance seems to affirm that there really is little understanding about the rules around the maul and the default is to just reward perceived dominance.
If anyone who refs is on here, can they clarify if joining players can just attach in front of the ball carrier at the back of the maul (i.e swim up)? Because I seem to recall that was not on. And yet happens relentlessly. Without sanction.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)

Having said that, the Brumbies always were in control. Best was Rob Valetini with Tome Wright, Darcy Swain and Tom Banks also having strong games. Joe Powell best for the Rebels.

What are you insinuating here?

Murphy was an Aus 7s player. He may have got a cap for the Reds at some stage via WTS but definitely wasn't what you would consider a Reds player.

Berry is the most anti-Reds ref going around.

I thought the Rebels were hard done by today and unlucky not to get a win. They've been close this year but game smarts are eluding. They need another real playmaker(not Hodge) on the paddock to take some pressure off MT. At the moment he has to try to create everything and drive the game. You could see today that there was an expectation of players to be in certain positions/running lines but they just weren't there. It is like he is coaching them during the game aswell.

Magnay had a strong physical game. Like I said earlier I think Holland/Magnay centre combo would be best for them at the moment.

Lots of errors made by the Rebels but the effort is there. I think a (positive) change of coach would be good for them.

Brumbies struggled against a lively Rebels Defense. Lolesio showing why he shouldn't be the Wallabies 10. Personally would have liked to see Pasitoa start at 12 instead of KB (Kurtley Beale). Wright continues to show that he is the best outside back in Oz. Young 7 was impressive and Valetini continues to grow as a player. Wobs 6 for me.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reds didn’t even play this round and you still manage to have a crack at them lol

FYI, Damon Murphy isn’t an ex Reds No. 9

Not a word about the Reds Adam, or didn't you notice?

My comments were directed at the refs solely, and judging from many comments over the weeks I'm not alone.

I would have sworn I had seen Murphy turn out as a player for the Reds, but if not, then my mistake. Doesn't alter the fact that I think he's not up to the job.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I would have sworn I had seen Murphy turn out as a player for the Reds, but if not, then my mistake. Doesn't alter the fact that I think he's not up to the job.

He was with the Melbourne Rebels ARC team for a season and was signed by the Reds for a season but never got a Super Rugby game. He was a pretty good sevens players at the National level.

Agree re: your comments about the low standard of officiating overall.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The scrum is a concern, as is closing out games, doesn't bode well for the final.

I do wonder though, why the fuck does anyone run anywhere near Valetini without making it really obvious you passed it 2+ phases ago?

It appears in the second half we got to the boot and withdraw in to our shells. Instead of getting on attack, taking the game away and closing it it out we play territory and pressure then hope for errors. The flaw with that plan is if you have the ball you have chance the Brumbies keep gifting teams the ball. It's happed regularly this season irrespective of the line up or substitutions. Appears to be a game plan.

Scrums are a big worry, so is our physicality in general.