• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Rd 9 Force v Waratahs

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
KOB, I agree it looks problematic. I reckon at least half the penalties in the final 10 minutes of just about every game are either marginal or incorrect, or are inconsistent with the way the rest of the game has been refereed. It does seem to be the Assistants that make those calls. Maybe if shots at penalty goal were banned in the last 10 minutes (perhaps with the exception for foul play), there would be quite a few different results more in keeping with the flow of the game over the whole period.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Maddocks is a frustrating one. He is clearly more talented thank Banks. Bigger, possibly faster(?), great passing range.

Just cocks up a lot. I wouldn't be comfortable with him at 15 for the Wallabies.
Agree. I think he could be really good. But he seems to lack some self-belief at times and makes poor choices. If he reaches his potential, he'd be in the conversation. Maybe not now.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
I still would like to have it clarified who got penalised.

Perhaps whoever was throwing the shadow you can see in the bottom right of the first picture, which is clearly out of alignment with the rest of the shadows.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Perhaps whoever was throwing the shadow you can see in the bottom right of the first picture, which is clearly out of alignment with the rest of the shadows.

And what material effect did that have on the subsequent play. The tackler in the contest that brought that phase to a close was well on side in the first photo. The play went nowhere near the outside defenders who might have been on side or off side.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Good pick up, and BR beat me to it, we don’t know what he is doing at that time of course but you’d think that is the player in between Swinton and Faulkner in the next shot, certainly looks pretty inconsequential.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
And what material effect did that have on the subsequent play. The tackler in the contest that brought that phase to a close was well on side in the first photo. The play went nowhere near the outside defenders who might have been on side or off side.

Umbrella type defence patterns are designed to attempt to keep the ball constrained to the inside backs. Not sure if this was the case here however if it were then it is intended to cut off wider play and allows defences to tighten up in the middle. The bottom line being that it is not just the defenders involved in a tackle that can be influential in the overall defence.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Good pick up, and BR beat me to it, we don’t know what he is doing at that time of course but you’d think that is the player in between Swinton and Faulkner in the next shot, certainly looks pretty inconsequential.
Well, offside is offside. Consequential or not. Ruled upon fairly inconsistently, though. Some ARs call it, some never do.
Someone was probably in front, but probably on the periphery. Anyway, if the Tahs didn't fuck up the lineout this is irrelevant!

Reactions: TSR

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well, offside is offside. Consequential or not. Ruled upon fairly inconsistently, though. Some ARs call it, some never do.
Someone was probably in front, but probably on the periphery. Anyway, if the Tahs didn't fuck up the lineout this is irrelevant!

I completely agree with the last point!

onwards we march

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I still would like to have it clarified who got penalised.

It was definitely an AR call from the open side AR, which was Cooper. I am pretty sure that there was an offending player that was slow to get back (possibly buggered or even dazzed/injured); wider than in the picture above. I believe it was Perese. Debatable call IMO.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Umbrella type defence patterns are designed to attempt to keep the ball constrained to the inside backs. Not sure if this was the case here however if it were then it is intended to cut off wider play and allows defences to tighten up in the middle. The bottom line being that it is not just the defenders involved in a tackle that can be influential in the overall defence.

All true Serge, but in this case none of the players outside, whether offside or not, advanced to the point where they would have been instrumental in cutting off a wide attacking play - see photo 2. As I said, I reckon it was immaterial and just the whim of whichever official called it to make his mark on the game.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
KOB, I agree it looks problematic. I reckon at least half the penalties in the final 10 minutes of just about every game are either marginal or incorrect, or are inconsistent with the way the rest of the game has been refereed. It does seem to be the Assistants that make those calls. Maybe if shots at penalty goal were banned in the last 10 minutes (perhaps with the exception for foul play), there would be quite a few different results more in keeping with the flow of the game over the whole period.

Changing rules based on a clock leads to arguments, what if the penalty occurs at 69:59? Do you round off to ten minutes to go?

The easiest solution is to return to leather balls, and soak them in a bucket of water prior to kick off to add some weight. What a different game we would see!

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
All true Serge, but in this case none of the players outside, whether offside or not, advanced to the point where they would have been instrumental in cutting off a wide attacking play - see photo 2. As I said, I reckon it was immaterial and just the whim of whichever official called it to make his mark on the game.

Unfortunately,an AR does not have the benefit of hindsight as you do. He/she makes the call as the offence occurs (ie much closer to the time of photo 1 rather than photo 2 in this instance) and communicates that to the Ref who then processes the incoming message along with thinking about the evolving action in front of her. The call from the AR might have been something along the lines of 'Blue offside centre field' and may or may not have had numbers in the call. The picture the AR was probably seeing was Blue player or players offside who may (or may not) impact the play as the ball was being played in that direction. Usually a referee will also ask for further information from the AR after blowing the penalty, so as to better inform the players on the detail and get an accurate mark for the penalty.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought I'd share the Saturday results of the sporting teams I support.

Eastern Suburbs Rugby lost on Saturday afternoon against Manly. After leading most of the match, Easts were only up by 5 in the dying minutes. Manly scored in the corner on the siren and then converted from the sideline to win by 2.

Wests Tigers were heavy underdogs against Souths in the NRL. They were up by 8 points with less than 15 minutes to play. Souths scored to cut the lead to 2 and then kicked a new 2 point field goal to draw level. Souths then scored a try in golden point extra time to win.

The undefeated Sydney Swans were heavy favourites against GWS. They led all match until GWS closed the gap and then kicked a goal to go ahead with a minute to play and hung on to upset the Swans.

Then the night finished with the Waratahs, losing to a penalty goal after the siren.

Lucky it's only sport.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So are the Tahs improving or were the Force just crap?

Tahs have definitely improved.

The last two games have easily been their best performances and I'd actually say round 6 against the Reds where they still got beaten 46-14 was better than a lot of their early performances.