• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby RD 9 Rebels v Brumbies

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not a word about the Reds Adam, or didn't you notice?

My comments were directed at the refs solely, and judging from many comments over the weeks I'm not alone.

I would have sworn I had seen Murphy turn out as a player for the Reds, but if not, then my mistake. Doesn't alter the fact that I think he's not up to the job.

Yes I noticed you mentioned Reds
He wasn’t a No.9, especially not at the Reds.
Either way I think the team they played for 10 years ago is largely irrelevant at this point.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What are you insinuating here?

Murphy was an Aus 7s player. He may have got a cap for the Reds at some stage via WTS but definitely wasn't what you would consider a Reds player.

Berry is the most anti-Reds ref going around.

I thought the Rebels were hard done by today and unlucky not to get a win. They've been close this year but game smarts are eluding. They need another real playmaker(not Hodge) on the paddock to take some pressure off MT. At the moment he has to try to create everything and drive the game. You could see today that there was an expectation of players to be in certain positions/running lines but they just weren't there. It is like he is coaching them during the game aswell.

Magnay had a strong physical game. Like I said earlier I think Holland/Magnay centre combo would be best for them at the moment.

Lots of errors made by the Rebels but the effort is there. I think a (positive) change of coach would be good for them.

Brumbies struggled against a lively Rebels Defense. Lolesio showing why he shouldn't be the Wallabies 10. Personally would have liked to see Pasitoa start at 12 instead of KB (Kurtley Beale). Wright continues to show that he is the best outside back in Oz. Young 7 was impressive and Valetini continues to grow as a player. Wobs 6 for me.

Purce, you seem to have caught the ailment currently going through the Reds fans base of using incorrect initials when identifying players. There was no KB (Kurtley Beale) playing 12 for the Brumbies. How about just using their full names so everybody knows who you are referring to.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Problems with the Brumbies scrum? I don't think so. The starting scrum was absolutely dominant, pushing the Rebels scrum back metres on occasions. It deteriorated a little when Ala'alatoa was replaced. But by then and later in the game, the scrum did not resemble the usual Brumbies 8 a hell of a lot.

Let's be real. The Brumbies are the only team likely to give the Reds a run for their money in the final, and no mater how much shit-talking the Reds fan roll out on these threads will alter that fact.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe I just know less about rugby than you guys, maybe I just have lower expectations, maybe I’m just less fussy. But I’m genuinely surprised at the level of negativity on here.

I thought it was a cracking game. Really enjoyed watching it

Thought Valetini and Ikitau were terrific. Great debut young Scott.

For the Rebs I thought Wells, Powell & Hosea all good. Thought Koroibete was great too but I reckon there were a couple of plays where he was only a bees dick off being on another level. I threw my hands up when Powell didn’t give him the short ball when he was flying. His work rate is miles above every other winger and his post contact metres make such a big difference in giving Rebs front foot ball.

Edit: someone remind me, did Wells make the Wallabies squad. We could do far worse than him at 6 or 8. He might not be as dynamic as some but he has a great combo of workrate, skill, accuracy & speed.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Agree, it was a great game to watch.

I'm used to Canberra fans being one-eyed to the point of no return, but suggesting Brumbies were always in control is so far off the mark.

Absolutely got it done on the scoreboard, and had a strong period in the first half, but don't forget one of the tries was a fortuitous turnover against the run of play and another was from a falcon.

Loved watching OG Melbourne boys rip it up. Valentini was frightening in defence, To'omua played a much better game than last week and would make a great second playmaker for the Wallabies. Lolesio is a future star and can't wait to watch him develop.

Great game.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought we were poor. Kicked aimlessly poor game management the decision to take the shot with 9 minutes to go was a terrible call

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
No we needed to get within a score. 3 points directly infront is always the best option in this situation. Brain dead is not taking them.
It put us 6 points down and gave us next to no hope of winning the game. We had to take a chance to try and win

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It put us 6 points down and gave us next to no hope of winning the game. We had to take a chance to try and win
So if you fail to score the try, you would only have 7mins or so to score twice. That possibility is better than taking a guaranteed score (that you need anyway) and giving yourself 9mins to get the other one? That’s not good Rugby IQ

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maybe I just know less about rugby than you guys, maybe I just have lower expectations, maybe I’m just less fussy. But I’m genuinely surprised at the level of negativity on here.

I thought it was a cracking game. Really enjoyed watching it

Thought Valetini and Ikitau were terrific. Great debut young Scott.

For the Rebs I thought Wells, Powell & Hosea all good. Thought Koroibete was great too but I reckon there were a couple of plays where he was only a bees dick off being on another level. I threw my hands up when Powell didn’t give him the short ball when he was flying. His work rate is miles above every other winger and his lost contact metres make such a big difference in giving Rebs front foot ball.

Edit: someone remind me, did Wells make the Wallabies squad. We could do far worse than him at 6 or 8. He might not be as dynamic as some but he has a great combo of workrate, skill, accuracy & speed.

I believe he did not.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s exactly the same play O’Connor made in the first game v the Brumbies which he was praised for.

You do realise if the Rebels scored at the end and kicked the goal they win, right?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
If anyone who refs is on here, can they clarify if joining players can just attach in front of the ball carrier at the back of the maul (i.e swim up)? Because I seem to recall that was not on. And yet happens relentlessly. Without sanction.
Watched the game with my three rugby playing sons and they all picked up on the Brumbies joining the maul in front of the ball carrier.

An early driving maul try that was overturned by the TMO, I thought thankfully they’ve picked up on that offside bind, but no , just a knock on . If anyone can be bothered , have a look at that disallowed try , Rob Valentini binds in front of FF (Folau Fainga'a) when joining the maul . Happens right in front of Murphy and the sideline official.

The same level of observation needs to be placed on the attacking maul as the team defending it . Murphy only had eyes for the Rebels for the majority of that game.

Could have been a great game if Murphy didn’t ref the shit out of it .

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
It’s exactly the same play O’Connor made in the first game v the Brumbies which he was praised for.

You do realise if the Rebels scored at the end and kicked the goal they win, right?
But the chances of that happening was incredibly low. We needed to press the issue that had already conceded a few penalties in their half if we go for the try we keep them defending if we suck a few more penalties out of them before scoring we potentially gain a man advantage.

We took the safe option in a must win game and it cost us big time

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
They let it go all the time. I don’t know why. It was introduced specifically to stop that.

It is not really just the Brumbies that do it though.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
But the chances of that happening was incredibly low. We needed to press the issue that had already conceded a few penalties in their half if we go for the try we keep them defending if we suck a few more penalties out of them before scoring we potentially gain a man advantage.

We took the safe option in a must win game and it cost us big time
I have seen infinitely more wins through taking the points in that situation than the reverse.