• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby RD 9 Rebels v Brumbies

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
But the chances of that happening was incredibly low. We needed to press the issue that had already conceded a few penalties in their half if we go for the try we keep them defending if we suck a few more penalties out of them before scoring we potentially gain a man advantage.

We took the safe option in a must win game and it cost us big time
I assume I’m not going to change your mind.

Your entitled to your view - but have a look at the other comments here and listen to the commentators. Your the only one I’ve heard that thinks it was the wrong play.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
So if you fail to score the try, you would only have 7mins or so to score twice. That possibility is better than taking a guaranteed score (that you need anyway) and giving yourself 9mins to get the other one? That’s not good Rugby IQ
We lost due to our poor decision making. That was by far our best opportunity to get the 7 we needed. If we decide to take a chance and the brumbies defence beats us well good luck to them. We needed to win to cement a finals shot and we needed to be bold. Hated seeing us settle for a bonus point

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Two very iffy refs and both are ex Reds No 9s. Neither is Super ready.

Having said that, the Brumbies always were in control. Best was Rob Valetini with Tom Wright, Darcy Swain and Tom Banks also having strong games. Joe Powell best for the Rebels.

Reckon To'omua confirmed my view that he isn't Wallaby worthy this year.

EDIT : Koroibete also put in a poor shift.

Korobete is an interesting player to consider this season, I absolutely love the guy and he would be among the first picked for the Wallabies if it was up to me.......but he has not scored in 7 games.

Who would be that last winger to go 7 games without scoring a try and have a shot at Wallabies selection?

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I assume I’m not going to change your mind.

Your entitled to your view - but have a look at the other comments here and listen to the commentators. Your the only one I’ve heard that thinks it was the wrong play.
It’s because people want to make the safe play that they won’t get criticised for fuck that I want to win and our best opportunity to win was by scoring a try so we had to go for it. Yes their is more risk taking the more aggressive option but with our season sits we can’t afford the conservative approach

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s because people want to make the safe play that they won’t get criticised for fuck that I want to win and our best opportunity to win was by scoring a try so we had to go for it. Yes their is more risk taking the more aggressive option but with our season sits we can’t afford the conservative approach
That’s not true at all. It’s because most of us think the best option to win the game was to kick the goal. It’s not a more conservative play. It puts more pressure on the other team. If you score the try you have to rush the conversion to give you maximum time to get the extra score to win. Even if win the penalty to kick for the win it is unlikely to be as easily kicked. Do you remember what happened the first time the Reds played the Rebels.

Your entitled to your opinion, but I’d suggest you don’t go down the path of thinking you are just clever than the rest of us or you just want to win more.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Korobete is an interesting player to consider this season, I absolutely love the guy and he would be among the first picked for the Wallabies if it was up to me...but he has not scored in 7 games.

Who would be that last winger to go 7 games without scoring a try and have a shot at Wallabies selection?
Israel Falou went a pretty long stint.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They let it go all the time. I don’t know why. It was introduced specifically to stop that.

It is not really just the Brumbies that do it though.

Right on both counts TSR, happens often and not only by the Brumbies.

On the subject of mauls, the Brumbies were pinged twice (maybe more) for obstruction in the maul. It looked to me that Swain took the catch and was always the first man in the maul. I couldn't see where the obstruction took place. Can anyone clarify?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Just curious for some other opinions, but IMHO To'omua looked off and was certainly below his best. He looked slow and at times hesitant. I cant help but wonder if there is a lingering or low level concussion thing he is suffering with.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Watched the game with my three rugby playing sons and they all picked up on the Brumbies joining the maul in front of the ball carrier.

An early driving maul try that was overturned by the TMO, I thought thankfully they’ve picked up on that offside bind, but no , just a knock on . If anyone can be bothered , have a look at that disallowed try , Rob Valentini binds in front of FF (Folau Fainga'a) when joining the maul . Happens right in front of Murphy and the sideline official.

The same level of observation needs to be placed on the attacking maul as the team defending it . Murphy only had eyes for the Rebels for the majority of that game.

Could have been a great game if Murphy didn’t ref the shit out of it .
It's curious because they went hard on it a while back, but now have completely forgotten to do anything about players binding in front, and indeed don't seem to consistently insist on the ball being passed back if players actually join legally. I'm not suggesting it is just Brumbies either, but they do put up the largest data set of mauls, and I was watching them...........

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Right on both counts TSR, happens often and not only by the Brumbies.

On the subject of mauls, the Brumbies were pinged twice (maybe more) for obstruction in the maul. It looked to me that Swain took the catch and was always the first man in the maul. I couldn't see where the obstruction took place. Can anyone clarify?
They were pinged for the ripper not being bound. The ref was right both times as far as I could see - but again it’s something that happens all the time.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Just curious for some other opinions, but IMHO To'omua looked off and was certainly below his best. He looked slow and at times hesitant. I cant help but wonder if there is a lingering or low level concussion thing he is suffering with.

Considering the head clash he had last game, I'm shocked they let him back on the field this week.

Reactions: mst

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
That’s not true at all. It’s because most of us think the best option to win the game was to kick the goal. It’s not a more conservative play. It puts more pressure on the other team. If you score the try you have to rush the conversion to give you maximum time to get the extra score to win. Even if win the penalty to kick for the win it is unlikely to be as easily kicked. Do you remember what happened the first time the Reds played the Rebels.

Your entitled to your opinion, but I’d suggest you don’t go down the path of thinking you are just clever than the rest of us or you just want to win more.
Yeah we lost kicking penalties despite being a man up.

It was the safe play you can debate the merit of taking a risk to try and win but you can’t deny it was a conservative decision.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
But the chances of that happening was incredibly low. We needed to press the issue that had already conceded a few penalties in their half if we go for the try we keep them defending if we suck a few more penalties out of them before scoring we potentially gain a man advantage.

We took the safe option in a must win game and it cost us big time
You are fighting the Force for that 3rd spot though so surely.picking up the losing bonus point is also a factor tick that first then try for the win was the smart play.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
You are fighting the Force for that 3rd spot though so surely.picking up the losing bonus point is also a factor tick that first then try for the win was the smart play.
If we are trying for a losing bonus point the coach should be sacked it’s a terrible attitude to have. Bonus point or not our season relies upon the Reds beating the Force now and is out of our destiny further more the losing bonus point was irrelevant we are now 2 points behind them as opposed to 3 points but we are 33 points the the good when it comes to points different so even if they manage a losing bonus point against the reds and we were tied on competition points we could beat the Tahs by 1 and make finals

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
If we are trying for a losing bonus point the coach should be sacked it’s a terrible attitude to have. Bonus point or not our season relies upon the Reds beating the Force now and is out of our destiny further more the losing bonus point was irrelevant we are now 2 points behind them as opposed to 3 points but we are 33 points the the good when it comes to points different so even if they manage a losing bonus point against the reds and we were tied on competition points we could beat the Tahs by 1 and make finals

Yeah my bad the losing bonus point is irrelevant well sux to have your destiny tied to the results of other games now.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
We lost due to our poor decision making. That was by far our best opportunity to get the 7 we needed. If we decide to take a chance and the brumbies defence beats us well good luck to them. We needed to win to cement a finals shot and we needed to be bold. Hated seeing us settle for a bonus point

But we needed 9 points, so taking the easy 3 and retaining the kick off and having the chance to get back down the other end and score again was the right play. That score putting us in striking distance of a win, even if they went for the 7 and got it. Still would have then needed another 3 to win the game. Was a 99.99% 3 pointer compared to a 50/50 going for the 7.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
But we needed 9 points, so taking the easy 3 and retaining the kick off and having the chance to get back down the other end and score again was the right play. That score putting us in striking distance of a win, even if they went for the 7 and got it. Still would have then needed another 3 to win the game. Was a 99.99% 3 pointer compared to a 50/50 going for the 7.
That 3 points also takes up 20secs of the remaining 9mins. It also guarantees you’re in the contest to the 80th min, if you don’t score a try it’s game over with 9mins to go.

There is not a coach in the world that wouldn’t take that 3. If they didn’t they have rocks in their head. Let’s not forget it was directly in front, 20m out.

This is like trying to have a political conversation with Bob Katter or Mark Latham

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

And should add that the Rebels are statistically the worst Australian team to score points off a line out, from memory they tried 3 times that game and came away with 0 points, so kicking to the corner and going for a try off a lineout is far less then 50/50 option