• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yep, I'd be sticking with the incumbent wingers - Koro and Wright.

I would have Petaia on the wing ahead of Koro.

Petaia has proven to be a better finisher this year. Although I think Petaia is our long-term 13 I like him on the wing this year until he can cut some errors out of this game.

I think the best game he played all year was on the wing too.

Especially given Ikakui, Paisami, and Foketi all look like really solid 13 options and in better form then Petaia (at 13).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
My take at the moment is that the backs most locked into the starting XV are:

JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, Paisami at 12 or 13 and Koroibete at 11.

White, Wright, To'omua and Banks would be the frontrunners for the other positions but there is far more uncertainty there.

Given the overall lack of experience in a lot of positions, I expect Rennie will be keen to start the test season with White, JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua at 9/10/12 if they are available. To'omua's form is the most questionable of late but I think his experience will win out.

I agree JOC (James O'Connor) 10, and Paisami is a lock in. Not sold on Koro, but only cos I can't seem to leave out Petaia or Wright from the list.

Here's my crack at out backline:

9. White - Incumbent playing well, Tate off the bench
10. JOC (James O'Connor) - Better form then both To'omua/Lolesio
11. Wright - Incumbent playing well, and skillset balances out the back 3, can act as another FB
12. To'omua/Paisami - 50/50 split depending on style of play.
13. Paisami/ Ikatau - Paisaimi first if not at 12. Then Ikatau on form. Happy to see Foketi here too.
14. Petaia / Koro 50/50 split here for me, I probably prefer Petaia though as his finishing ability is hard to leave out. But his errors shift him to the wing for me.
15. Banks - Probably our weakest link, but attacking form has been solid. Other parts of his game never an issue.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I agree JOC (James O'Connor) 10, and Paisami is a lock in. Not sold on Koro, but only cos I can't seem to leave out Petaia or Wright from the list.

Here's my crack at out backline:

9. White - Incumbent playing well, Tate off the bench
10. JOC (James O'Connor) - Better form then both To'omua/Lolesio
11. Wright - Incumbent playing well, and skillset balances out the back 3, can act as another FB
12. To'omua/Paisami - 50/50 split depending on style of play.
13. Paisami/ Ikatau - Paisaimi first if not at 12. Then Ikatau on form. Happy to see Foketi here too.
14. Petaia / Koro 50/50 split here for me, I probably prefer Petaia though as his finishing ability is hard to leave out. But his errors shift him to the wing for me.
15. Banks - Probably our weakest link, but attacking form has been solid. Other parts of his game never an issue.

If Perese keeps up his form at 13, he will also be in the running. A Paisami/Perese 12/13 combo has me salivating.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How are people leaving out Koroibete? It's insane.

He is absolutely not the reason the Rebels aren't scoring tries. If you put him on the end of the Brumbies or Reds backline he'd have a bunch of tries.

The try scoring differential in Super Rugby AU is unbelievable.

Brumbies 37 tries
Reds 30 tries
Waratahs 12 tries
Force 11 tries
Rebels 10 tries

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
How are people leaving out Koroibete? It's insane.

He is absolutely not the reason the Rebels aren't scoring tries. If you put him on the end of the Brumbies or Reds backline he'd have a bunch of tries.

The try scoring differential in Super Rugby AU is unbelievable.

Brumbies 37 tries
Reds 30 tries
Waratahs 12 tries
Force 11 tries
Rebels 10 tries

Exactly Koroibete hasn’t had anybody passing him the ball as the Rebels back line are lucky to pass the ball past 12. That’s why Koroibete is always pick and going from the back of the ruck. The Rebels just don’t play an expansive game ( I don’t want to say negative). I know play to they are playing to there strengths but when you have a player Koroibete please give him a chance at the end of a backline move once in a while. I can’t wait to see what he can if he gets the chance on the of an attacking back line.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
A couple of things from the weekends games, which were excellent to watch and both very competitive. Donaldson looks like a decent prospect at 10. He appears to be more suited to test footy than either Harrison or Lolesio at this point. IMHO of course.
Rebels looked good in parts but poor handling let them down often, turning over the pill when looking like adding points. If their ball security was 10% better the game was theirs.
I thought that Tim Anstee was quiet and Lee warner much more effective when he came on. There are quite a few good young locks floating around. Bodes well for the future in the engine room for the Wallabies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I watched Sitaleki Timani pretty closely in the Force game, and his game is exactly the same as what it used to be. He's a really big bloke who lumbers around and never really impacts the game quite as much as he should.

I'd be pretty surprised if Rennie picks him barring injuries to others. We certainly have a need for a big bloke who can smash people for 50-60 minutes, but I think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is better suited to that task than Timani.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Exactly Koroibete hasn’t had anybody passing him the ball as the Rebels back line are lucky to pass the ball past 12. That’s why Koroibete is always pick and going from the back of the ruck. The Rebels just don’t play an expansive game ( I don’t want to say negative). I know play to they are playing to there strengths but when you have a player Koroibete please give him a chance at the end of a backline move once in a while. I can’t wait to see what he can if he gets the chance on the of an attacking back line.

And yet there are many here who continually put Koroibete in the TOTW. Inconsistent to say the least.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Timani's last few games since arriving have been more effectual than Lukhan's. I don't disagree that he's probably only a short term back up option, however I think his set piece and maul work + workrate seems considerably better than my memories of him playing for the Wallabies as a 26 yo (not so surprising when you consider he has spent nearly 8 years with two of France's best clubs). I have been reasonably impressed.