• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And yet there are many here who continually put Koroibete in the TOTW. Inconsistent to say the least.
Because the whole point being made is that despite being at the end of the most limp backline attack Koroibete leads the comp in stats like defenders beaten, offloads, post contact metres, carries and is second in line breaks. He’s outperforming all the other wingers, even though he isn’t getting any of the inside assistance the others are.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep, Koroibete does more with less and that’s what makes him one of the best wingers in Australia and consistently in the TOTW.

Sitting on the end of the Brumbies or Reds backline and getting the tries, meters etc that Koroibete gets doesn’t impress me as much.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What are our thoughts on Muirhead? I liked his early season work, but maybe his form has stagnated a bit in the past few weeks.

I'd love to see him in a Wallabies squad, but I'm not quite sure he's got it in him to play well at the highest level. More than happy to see him given a chance at some point, but he's still a bit behind Koro and Wright.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I feel Muirhead falls in the same category as guys like Campbell, if they were playing in lesser backlines we wouldn't be talking about them

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Muirhead has the particular advantage of being comfortable on both sides of the field. That said with the return of Wright to imediate form I don't see him getting a start without an injury or a few others failing at test level.

5 rounds of super rugby trans-tasman is plenty of time for that to change though.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What are our thoughts on Muirhead? I liked his early season work, but maybe his form has stagnated a bit in the past few weeks.

I'd love to see him in a Wallabies squad, but I'm not quite sure he's got it in him to play well at the highest level. More than happy to see him given a chance at some point, but he's still a bit behind Koro and Wright.
I think he’s good. Smart player with a good skill level and gets involved.

But I wouldn’t have him in front of Koroibete, Wright, Petaia or Daugunu and I think it’s likely Vunivalu will move past him in the next 12 months. At some point you only have so many spots for wingers in your squad.

If Rennie sees it differently and gives him a chance, good luck to him. He has had a good year.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think he’s good. Smart player with a good skill level and gets involved.

But I wouldn’t have him in front of Koroibete, Wright, Petaia or Daugunu and I think it’s likely Vunivalu will move past him in the next 12 months. At some point you only have so many spots for wingers in your squad.

If Rennie sees it differently and gives him a chance, good luck to him. He has had a good year.
Muirhead works really well with limited space and has a very good pass on him plus speed which helps. I just don't think he is as quick as Koro, Wright or Daugunu and his defence can be suspect he really should have put Flook away last week with the shot he put on him.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A couple of things from the weekends games, which were excellent to watch and both very competitive. Donaldson looks like a decent prospect at 10. He appears to be more suited to test footy than either Harrison or Lolesio at this point. IMHO of course.
Rebels looked good in parts but poor handling let them down often, turning over the pill when looking like adding points. If their ball security was 10% better the game was theirs.
I thought that Tim Anstee was quiet and Lee warner much more effective when he came on. There are quite a few good young locks floating around. Bodes well for the future in the engine room for the Wallabies.

Both Harrison and Lolesio were preferred to Donaldson at U20s and seem to have continued ahead of him in Super Rugby. A very big call, almost without any basis at all imho, to say he is better suited to test rugby after essentially one Super game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Very good, but not excellent, Super level player, at wing and fullback. I would not advocate for his inclusion in the test side.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
According to Rugby Pass Koroibete’s had 3 turnovers this season.

If you argued he had a low tackle percentage (60%) maybe you’d have something to work with - but even then I’d argue that there is at least a component there where he misses tackles but forces the players back into the inside defence.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Both Harrison and Lolesio were preferred to Donaldson at U20s and seem to have continued ahead of him in Super Rugby. A very big call, almost without any basis at all imho, to say he is better suited to test rugby after essentially one Super game.
Have to agree but he certainly didn't look out of place at Super level he seemed more capable of going to the line and creating space for his outside backs the Harrison has this season. That drop kick conversion was a thing of beauty.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Muirhead I really rate as a rugby player, unfortunately way too many in the bigger, stronger, faster category ahead of him for a wing slot. I wish he'd made a switch to halfback earlier in his rugby career.... he would be a bloody handful in that spot. Has all the skills plus real speed and agility.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

He looks ok, but I don't think you can have both him and Wright in the 23, too similar in both style and physique. The Darkness would just put a Barrett on the wing and kick to it.

I haven't seen enough of Muirhead being tested in defence against bigger blokes, how would he fair against a Caleb Clarke?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He looks ok, but I don't think you can have both him and Wright in the 23, too similar in both style and physique. The Darkness would just put a Barrett on the wing and kick to it.

I haven't seen enough of Muirhead being tested in defence against bigger blokes, how would he fair against a Caleb Clarke?
Wright's taller and faster then Muirhead.. both are really good footy players.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Muirhead is a better football player than a lot of the other wingers but not as good an athlete. Unfortunately for him on the wing athleticism generally trumps football smarts and Petaia, Daugunu, and Vunivalu are ahead of him.

I would argue Wright is the one player candidate who appears to have both the football nous and athleticism.