• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I mean, I guess we could have signed up Valetini as a Schoolboy in 2016 rather than letting the Brumbies snipe him.

I take your point I men't more that have got into our squad. Rob left very early.

I just personally think that we are now are doing more from a club level than we ever have we are producing home grown wallabies & should be celebrating it. If we put out a full RV side we'd get pumped every week & we aren't turning our back on young juniors to through stupid money at former internationals chasing a bit of superannuation. We are about to loose 2 very good wallabies simply because we cant afford them. Its not our fault we can pay only a fraction what they can in Japan or France

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Lol where did I specify local talent in that post?

Okay then how do you propose paying Markika & Isi $800k - $1m when currently they are on about 200k (if lucky) & the cap goes down next season?

you always complain about what is completely out of the clubs control

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Okay then how do you propose paying Markika & Isi $800k - $1m when currently they are on about 200k (if lucky) & the cap goes down next season?

you always complain about what is completely out of the clubs control
Building an environment that players want to be apart of and stay in is 100% in the clubs control on top of that we have to look at who we are recruiting and why we are losing players.

We do not have the stability of clubs like the Reds or Brumbies and we have to look for ways we can be better. Issues of overseas clubs having bigger budgets aren’t exclusive to us

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Building an environment that players want to be apart of and stay in is 100% in the clubs control on top of that we have to look at who we are recruiting and why we are losing players.

We do not have the stability of clubs like the Reds or Brumbies and we have to look for ways we can be better. Issues of overseas clubs having bigger budgets aren’t exclusive to us

They aren't leaving because of a bad culture they are leaving because they are getting paid 4 times what they can in Australia. It 100% purely about money & we 100% purely cant afford it. Its not going to the Tahs for an extra 50k (which Philip knocked back) its japan for an extra 600k 4 time what they would earn here. You just don't get it or refuse to accept it.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
They aren't leaving because of a bad culture they are leaving because they are getting paid 4 times what they can in Australia. It 100% purely about money & we 100% purely cant afford it. Its not going to the Tahs for an extra 50k (which Philip knocked back) its japan for an extra 600k 4 time what they would earn here. You just don't get it or refuse to accept it.
This is the same problem faces by all clubs and The Reds in particular used to have a lot of annual turnover to their squad particularly after 2011. I think theirs is a model that should be embraced where as offering youngsters who show promise 3-4 year contracts allows a club to maintain a nucleus of core players and stability over that period is how you build to the top. You won't be able to keep them after that 4 year period as they will go off to more lucrative markets so rinse and repeat it is the only way we can't compete financially.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I note Valentini is off contract at the end of this season - I wonder if Powell could have a quiet worg

Valentini had the choice of Rebels or Brumbies, both were offering him a contract and his dad said go where it feels right. He choose the Brumbies program, I think anyone in his position would have done the same.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Valentini had the choice of Rebels or Brumbies, both were offering him a contract and his dad said go where it feels right. He choose the Brumbies program, I think anyone in his position would have done the same.
And that’s where we need to get better the Brumbies for a long time have been the yardstick. Trying to develop a program like they have got isn’t a shot at us

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Yep & I personally believe now with our culture he would choose to stay, very hard to knock back an opportunity at the ponies especially 5 years ago

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
And that’s where we need to get better the Brumbies for a long time have been the yardstick. Trying to develop a program like they have got isn’t a shot at us

Brumbies are definitely the yardstick as they like Rebels and Force have small local talent pool and hence rely on savvy recruiting and good coaching. The Rebels have had investment that not achieved desired results. Could do a lot worse then look at replicating the structures Brumbies had in place.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Brumbies are definitely the yardstick as they like Rebels and Force have small local talent pool and hence rely on savvy recruiting and good coaching. The Rebels have had investment that not achieved desired results. Could do a lot worse then look at replicating the structures Brumbies had in place.

They seem to be copying the Storm and aiming to just hi-jack Queensland's development pathways.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Exactly we need to be searching for constant improvement. We can’t accept anything less

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cohesion leads to winning or is it winning leads to cohesion? It’s the whole chicken or the egg argument. Honestly don’t think there is much between all the states in terms of professional programs, it’s just that some of the programs are winning environments. That attracts talent, so constantly means they are on top on a consistent basis unless they butcher their philosophies and manage to let one of the chasing pack into the fold. It’s not that Canberra are a better environment, it’s just a winning environment.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I actually think we need to stock up on players in the 22-24 age bracket. Find blokes who are only going to get 1 year deals at other Super Rugby teams and offer them 3. Get the best coaches you possibly can and back them in to develop the players.

18-21 year old targets should be predominantly local, now that we have a few coming through, and anything 26+ should be genuine gamebreakers and Wallabies/proper aspirants.

If a player gets to 26 and isn't of international quality, look elswhere. It's harsh because I am a critic of Super Rugby churning quality club men with 50+ caps, but this club can't afford to retain them. Where has it gotten us? Nowhere. No success. And an annual turnover of players that leaves us scrambling to find adequate journeymen replacements that might keep us in the battle to be the 3rd best Club in AU.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I actually think we need to stock up on players in the 22-24 age bracket. Find blokes who are only going to get 1 year deals at other Super Rugby teams and offer them 3. Get the best coaches you possibly can and back them in to develop the players.

18-21 year old targets should be predominantly local, now that we have a few coming through, and anything 26+ should be genuine gamebreakers and Wallabies/proper aspirants.

If a player gets to 26 and isn't of international quality, look elswhere. It's harsh because I am a critic of Super Rugby churning quality club men with 50+ caps, but this club can't afford to retain them. Where has it gotten us? Nowhere. No success. And an annual turnover of players that leaves us scrambling to find adequate journeymen replacements that might keep us in the battle to be the 3rd best Club in AU.

There's a number of good young squad players at the other clubs off contract next year that I reckon could be convinced to come to Melbourne with the prospect of more playing time:

Bayley Kuenzle
Joe Cotton
Reece Tapine
Triston Reilly
Isaac Henry

These blokes would all significantly strengthen the Rebels squad, particularly as a lot of them play in the centres and on the wing (two serious areas of weakness for the Rebels this year).

There's also a few players in Japan that I reckon would be worth a punt, particularly Isaac Lucas and Semisi Tupou (still can't believe we let him go with the state our backline is in).

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
There's a number of good young squad players at the other clubs off contract next year that I reckon could be convinced to come to Melbourne with the prospect of more playing time:

Bayley Kuenzle
Joe Cotton
Reece Tapine
Triston Reilly
Isaac Henry

These blokes would all significantly strengthen the Rebels squad, particularly as a lot of them play in the centres and on the wing (two serious areas of weakness for the Rebels this year).

There's also a few players in Japan that I reckon would be worth a punt, particularly Isaac Lucas and Semisi Tupou (still can't believe we let him go with the state our backline is in).
My understanding was that Tupou was not let go, his contract was expiring and a Japanese deal was offered during the period that there wasn’t any certainty that there would be a competition played at all.

For the record I don’t think any of these guys are any better than solid squad players.

The turnover happens because a) there is more money overseas, b) we aren’t a club that’s going to offer a winning environment if they do stay, c) lack of professional games to get your chance