• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don’t think any player would have any issues with Rodda. Not saying none of them wouldn’t of liked him to stay around, that’s a given but I don’t think any would harbor an discontent or anger.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I don’t think any player would have any issues with Rodda. Not saying none of them wouldn’t of liked him to stay around, that’s a given but I don’t think any would harbor an discontent or anger.

Can you read their minds? :)

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I was unimpressed by the circumstances of the departure of all the boys who left the Reds at the start of COVID. It was a bad look, but as time's gone on and I've heard whispers of what additional factors may have played a role for each (other than money and having an arrogant grub for a manager) I've softened my opinion.

With respect to Rodda for the Wallabies. I wouldn't pick him because his last good games in Gold were a long time ago now, and it's hard to get a read on what form a player in France is in unless they are clearly and visibly dominating the big matches over there e.g European cups quarters, semis, final, Top 14 final etc.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
With respect to Rodda for the Wallabies. I wouldn't pick him because his last good games in Gold were a long time ago now, and it's hard to get a read on what form a player in France is in unless they are clearly and visibly dominating the big matches over there e.g European cups quarters, semis, final, Top 14 final etc.

All he has to be is better than the other options, our other options aren't exactly dominating anything, so I expect him to get a shot at some stage because is a better player than most of them

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rodda's form in France has been good. Went off early in his team's loss on the weekend to Stade Français who won on the back of two good tries from Sefa Naivalu (might've been made easier by Colby Fainga'a playing in the centres for Lyon).

That loss essentially sealed Lyon's fate of not cracking the finals. So maybe we'll see him back sooner than planned. He won a Man of the Month at the start of the year and would've been in Lyon's top 5 players most weeks. Definitely not Skelton's level of impact and would've been outplayed by Rory Arnold.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rodda's form in France has been good. Went off early in his team's loss on the weekend to Stade Français who won on the back of two good tries from Sefa Naivalu (might've been made easier by Colby Fainga'a playing in the centres for Lyon).

That loss essentially sealed Lyon's fate of not cracking the finals. So maybe we'll see him back sooner than planned. He won a Man of the Month at the start of the year and would've been in Lyon's top 5 players most weeks. Definitely not Skelton's level of impact and would've been outplayed by Rory Arnold.

This made me extremely sad

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I’d have Swain in front of Frost. Frost is a good prospect but I think Swain is further advanced. If Frost keeps improving, his time will come.
Frost is part of the reason the Brums scrum looks depowered. One of his more notable games was when he played 6, and I'd agree that other Brumbies locks are in front of him at the moment. But you're right, he has potential.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Frost is part of the reason the Brums scrum looks depowered. One of his more notable games was when he played 6, and I'd agree that other Brumbies locks are in front of him at the moment. But you're right, he has potential.

Yeah It takes years for these young locks to put on the extra size required, I don’t know if it’s the long limbs or what, but you don’t see many locks under 22/23 competing physically. Arguably locks have the longest development timeline and it’s why it hurts so much when they leave.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
All he has to be is better than the other options, our other options aren't exactly dominating anything, so I expect him to get a shot at some stage because is a better player than most of them

It's a classic Australian rugby problem, that a player's stock seems to rise when they aren't playing and competing with the Kiwis every week.

Rodda is a great player, who showed plenty during his last season in Super Rugby and in the 18/19 international seasons but they were a long time ago now. Does he have more credit in the bank than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Neville or even Phillip (who had an excellent 2020?). For me the answer is no. I don't disagree that he likely will (and should) have an opportunity at some stage in the year, but first up? I wouldn't

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's a classic Australian rugby problem, that a player's stock seems to rise when they aren't playing and competing with the Kiwis every week.

Rodda is a great player, who showed plenty during his last season in Super Rugby and in the 18/19 international seasons but they were a long time ago now. Does he have more credit in the bank than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Neville or even Phillip (who had an excellent 2020?). For me the answer is no. I don't disagree that he likely will (and should) have an opportunity at some stage in the year, but first up? I wouldn't

Out of interest, is his situation fundamentally any different to, say, Hooper?

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Fundamentally no, but different in the fact Hooper liaised with RA to take a well earnt sabbatical after more than 150 Super Rugby games and 100 test matches while Rodda abandoned them mid-pandemic at the age of 23. Also let's not forget Hooper captained the Wallabies to a win over the All Blacks just 7 months ago and won the John Eales medal for Wallabies player of the year in 2020.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Yeah - he is no where near as good.

I don't think he's clearly better than Philip or Neville. With LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Hosea rounding out the options I don't see why he'd walk back in.

I disagree with the assessment that he is a great player. He was a competent test level lock, no more.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah - he is no where near as good.

I don't think he's clearly better than Philip or Neville. With LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Hosea rounding out the options I don't see why he'd walk back in.

I disagree with the assessment that he is a great player. He was a competent test level lock, no more.

I'd take a competent test lock at the moment. Neville hasn't proved his worth yet, we can't be picky.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I was shocked to learn Tom Robertson is 107kg. That's at least 10 kg lighter than all his 'competitors' for the spot (and probaly about 15kg lighter than likely opponents). I don't think we can consider him at test footy at that weight.

I understand your logic but I can't ignore his form in holding up solid Force scrum so not sure it is creating impact on the field being lighter (but by logic understand it should - must have very good technique perhaps).

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I agree with an earlier post advocating for (Vunivalu, Wright, Petaia) Wallabies back-three.

Banks is a fine player but will never be a genuinely dangerous threat in the backline at international level.

He's a solid fill-in option for the time being, but the future has to be Wright at 15 with Vunivalu and Petaia on the wings, IMO.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

One has played 25 tests and hasn't played tests or Super Rugby since 2019. The other has played 105 tests, hasn't missed a test match and has just missed Super Rugby 2021.

One walked out on his contract (which he legally entitled to do) and the other has had six months overseas on a sabbatical structured into his contract by his ongoing employer (Rugby Australia).

Aside form that they're identical though.