• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Really the only point you can take away from the FTA ratings, is that when you factor in Stan Subscribers they’re significantly higher then what Foxtel ever used to get. Season trends and all that can’t really be assessed just yet, because we don’t see the split between Stan and FTA.

And realistically if we’re talking of value to broadcasters, it’s in the Stan figures we don’t see, not the FTA figures we do.

Which is interesting given that the Foxtel era product is considered by many to be superior. On this metric at least, it is not.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ok fair enough , as I said I have never even looked at ratings until RN noted that I would be interested in poor figures for some game, so I looked at them and weren't quite making sense in what I had read. Think I will just go back to not looking as seems they mean a lot anyway. Perhaps they just figures that anyone can use as they want?
I will just go back to being lost in space with all these things:confused:

Actually Dan it was a comment about a past kiwi game against the rebels where rebels were soundly thrashed and you made the comment that would be good game for the casual sports fan which I replied I doubt lack of a contest it would which the gem ratings of 43k showed. From there you have gone on to try to link this to something else and misquoting me etc.

Mate I know you are desperate to try and prove TT is all good irrespective of lopsided results. I will reiterate again I am pro TT (alongside some form of domestic comp which could be short form with TT the longer form comp) if and only if the issue of lopsided results can be addressed. As otherwise we are heading to another super rugby cluster fArk that just recontinues the terminal decline of oz rugby. The current Poor win loss ratio is not sustainable and unless nzru and Ra can align on what is required then continuing on with the farce full TT is an option is just ludicrous. Hence would like to see what plans both parties are working to in order to address this which I presume will come out when they are ready (noting RA has talked of reform, use of imports but also noted nzru very quiet at this point).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Actually Dan it was a comment about a past kiwi game against the rebels where rebels were soundly thrashed and you made the comment that would be good game for the casual sports fan which I replied I doubt lack of a contest it would which the gem ratings of 43k showed. From there you have gone on to try to link this to something else and misquoting me etc.

Mate I know you are desperate to try and prove TT is all good irrespective of lopsided results. I will reiterate again I am pro TT (alongside some form of domestic comp which could be short form with TT the longer form comp) if and only if the issue of lopsided results can be addressed. As otherwise we are heading to another super rugby cluster fArk that just recontinues the terminal decline of oz rugby. The current Poor win loss ratio is not sustainable and unless nzru and Ra can align on what is required then continuing on with the farce full TT is an option is just ludicrous. Hence would like to see what plans both parties are working to in order to address this which I presume will come out when they are ready (noting RA has talked of reform, use of imports but also noted nzru very quiet at this point).
To answer, the NZR has no need of reform by using imports, and so would I doubt feel it needs to be talked about. I agree the lopside TT won't work, and while we play the same comp as we are it will not change, we agree there, Aus playing Aus and NZ playing NZ teams followed by TT has as you said proven to be a waste as after 2 weeks all Aus teams were out, as can be expected in a five week comp. that is why I believe Aus rugby to go stronger need stronger competition ovr a substained period, or same ol same ol, and hell I am very happy watching Super Ao, but my whole argument is around the need for Aus rugby to be strong, not in 10 years when there is a few more teams, but sooner before game loses even more relevance in Aus sports scape.
You and I know how strong the game was in Aus on the back of good Wallabies (especially) and super teams during 90s and early 2000s. We had great tv numbers, bloody great crowds at super games, test matches where you had to get in early to purchase, and much as you and I might want the game to be built from ground upwards in Aus, I am afraid it will have to be good at top and try and build downwards from there. Mate strong international comps are needed with a good domestic comp below.
If I was looking at it from Kiwi point only I would say happily ( and it is said here) bugger Aus, who needs all there problems etc etc, let them whither with Wallabies get weaker, but I honestly believe that full comps are way to go, as I want Aus rugby to be strong, and I believe we ned it to be, just as I believe Aus rugby meeds NZ.

People talk about learning from past mistakes with Super, I agree, lets learn from it and look at it when it was very good for Aus rugby as well as NZ!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To answer, the NZR has no need of reform by using imports, and so would I doubt feel it needs to be talked about. I agree the lopside TT won't work, and while we play the same comp as we are it will not change, we agree there, Aus playing Aus and NZ playing NZ teams followed by TT has as you said proven to be a waste as after 2 weeks all Aus teams were out, as can be expected in a five week comp. that is why I believe Aus rugby to go stronger need stronger competition ovr a substained period, or same ol same ol, and hell I am very happy watching Super Ao, but my whole argument is around the need for Aus rugby to be strong, not in 10 years when there is a few more teams, but sooner before game loses even more relevance in Aus sports scape.
You and I know how strong the game was in Aus on the back of good Wallabies (especially) and super teams during 90s and early 2000s. We had great tv numbers, bloody great crowds at super games, test matches where you had to get in early to purchase, and much as you and I might want the game to be built from ground upwards in Aus, I am afraid it will have to be good at top and try and build downwards from there. Mate strong international comps are needed with a good domestic comp below.
If I was looking at it from Kiwi point only I would say happily ( and it is said here) bugger Aus, who needs all there problems etc etc, let them whither with Wallabies get weaker, but I honestly believe that full comps are way to go, as I want Aus rugby to be strong, and I believe we ned it to be, just as I believe Aus rugby meeds NZ.

People talk about learning from past mistakes with Super, I agree, lets learn from it and look at it when it was very good for Aus rugby as well as NZ!

My point of NZRU is they have been behind the design of the competition and Imo as key partner and major rugby power have a responsibility to look at how to make the best competition and be open to how that is achieved. That was my point Dan as I am tired personally of NZRU taking charge and lead on things when it suits them and putting up their hands saying nothing for me to get involved in when it does not suit them. In fact to me this has been the history of super rugby which another poster eloquently stated has been designed to suit Kiwi interests and All Blacks. You know my views there but lets not open that up again as I know we won't agree on our different views on NZRU as I won't on your (recent) views of RA and Hamish etc.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Edit: this is off topic. Delete and/or move to 'Where to' dumpster fire.

I think the issue with this is that, as you point, much of that popularity was built on Nobody and his generational team we haven't been able to reproduce.

It wasn't a product of effective structures and solid grass roots also as you point out.

So how do we get back there? The idea that we could reduce the number of teams to 'improve' the average quality doesn't cut the mustard. We still won't have a generational team of Wallabies driving popularity, with one of the best ever second rowers who could nail spot kicks from the sideline to boot.

We simply don't have anyone even approaching guys like Gregan, Horan Eales etc. Not a single player in our team is close to best in the world. I include Tupou in that assessment based on his current international resume.

the whole 'going back' thing doesn't recognize that era for what it was. It was success despite maladministration, not success because of good administration.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Good to see Fox Sports have a rugby article on their front page last night/today, quite long and in depth as well. Even if it essentially is saying how badly we are getting spanked by the Kiwi's.

I think Fox will come back to the party re news articles and scores by the time next Super season rolls around, they're at risk of becoming the NRL/AFL network, which obviously is their core products, but if the rumours of ESPN taking back their content are true, that means they would lose UFC, NBA and NFL, as well as Rugby, A-League and some tennis which has already happened.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Stans coverage is great. Plus the women are great. And also they are such spunks. The Women of Stan. Stan's Women.

Cheika is a yes, Mehrts, Turinui and the jettisoning of Maaaardo and Kearns is a beautiful, beautiful motherfucking bonus.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
The Women of Stan. Stan's Women.

541853-maureen-duval.jpg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Good to see Fox Sports have a rugby article on their front page last night/today, quite long and in depth as well. Even if it essentially is saying how badly we are getting spanked by the Kiwi's.

I think Fox will come back to the party re news articles and scores by the time next Super season rolls around, they're at risk of becoming the NRL/AFL network, which obviously is their core products, but if the rumours of ESPN taking back their content are true, that means they would lose UFC, NBA and NFL, as well as Rugby, A-League and some tennis which has already happened.

I also think the banishment of Rugby from News Corp papers was also a strong message to other codes about breaking away from Foxtel/News, A-League will cop the same but longer term the stance will need to soften pending the support of those codes. More codes are going to break away as more competitors come on the market, if News ban all these then they’ll have no sports to cover in their paper.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I also think the banishment of Rugby from News Corp papers was also a strong message to other codes about breaking away from Foxtel/News, A-League will cop the same but longer term the stance will need to soften pending the support of those codes. More codes are going to break away as more competitors come on the market, if News ban all these then they’ll have no sports to cover in their paper.

News Corp already barely covers A-League/football. Only through Marco & Russell on their newswire. No permanent football writers at the DT, HS or Aus for a couple of years now

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I have really enjoyed Stan, the product is way better than Fox for mine. Love the coverage of club rugby, hopefully they get some schoolboy stuff as well.

It's great isn't it. I've started watching the highlight videos and it really makes me feel more involved.

On a side note, Drew Mitchell is getting better as a commentator after a pretty slow start. He has good insight and I like hearing his tactical opinions. Turinui is still by far the best pundit (though I always tune in for Cheika).

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Stan is pretty good, at least they look like they care as opposed to the last few years of Foxtel. The only issue (and pretty first worldish) is not being able to channel surf. Yesterday the missus watched footy on TV, i just chucked the rugby on my phone. But streaming is definately the way of the future.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me to see the new TV's simply have a way where you can watch multiple streaming channels at the same time, I presume you would just remain logged into your preffered channel and change just like a normal channel switch.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Personally I'd love a "combined broadcast" sort of thing for Friday and Saturday night where I can just put the first game on and it automatically flows through to the next one when it finishes. It's a pretty small thing, but it's nice to not have to think about changing it over when I'm not paying as much attention. If they want to fill the any gap in between with ads to avoid dead air then more power to them.

If I could build the queue myself and choose whether it swaps at the end of the current game or the start of the next one for crossovers (e.g. club game into kiwi super game) that'd be even better.