• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Also - a couple of people have commented that thought the card as yellow. But I haven’t seen anyone disagree actual first contact with the head was red, or argue that Boshier was dropping - which he clearly wasn’t.

First contact with the head is red. The rule on that is black and white. The refs rulings on mitigation might be inconsistent but the rule it self was clear.

I think his only argument is that the contact with the head wasn't with force in the face that it was a very glancing blow. I doubt it will be succesful.

I still don't get why some people are suggesting Latu would make a Wallabies team and/or is better than the guys we have available. He got done for drink driving AGAIN a few months ago. And as far as I can tell he's not been playing much for Stade Français anyway. If he can't crack his club side and can't keep his booze under control, why should he even be considered for a Wallabies spot.

Add in that Beale has only ever really had form in Europe and has consistently under performed for the Wallabies (or at least has more recently), that means we are only talking about locks who would clearly be an improvement on our current squad if we allowed overseas players beyond a few guys for injury cover (Samu for instance). And even then we should be adding back Rodda shortly, Phillip has been good, and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is pretty solid.

I think all in all the two players rule is probably a good fix. Having said that I'd be okayish with the idea of allowing open selection for the WRC team with players playing in Australia being a priority (obviously the coaches should have a bias towards the players they already know and have already had in the squad playing for them etc over the past 3 years).

People are suggesting Latu because his games at hooker in 2019 were better than anything we've had since. It is clearly a position of weakness for the Wallabies.

What do you mean he hasn't been playing for Stade Francais? I looked at their last three games on 30 May, 6 June and 12 June and he started all of them.

I wouldn't bring Beale back either. Hopefully Tom Banks really makes the position his own this season but the reality is his form at test level has been average at best. It is also a problematic position for the Wallabies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I still don't get why some people are suggesting Latu would make a Wallabies team and/or is better than the guys we have available. He got done for drink driving AGAIN a few months ago. And as far as I can tell he's not been playing much for Stade Français anyway. If he can't crack his club side and can't keep his booze under control, why should he even be considered for a Wallabies spot.

He's started 9/10 of the last games and been consistently Stade's best forward. Immovable over the ball.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Yeah same. But we know our 23 are good, it's our depth that's not. Some Super sides could use him too. But no point crying over spilt milk, I'll stop.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yeah same. But we know our 23 are good, it's our depth that's not. Some Super sides could use him too. But no point crying over spilt milk, I'll stop.

Pone is handy depth thp, got a bit of work to do on his scrummaging but is only 24, prob wont be at his best till after the RWC

Wilson

David Codey (61)
His last game was the 6th french time & meets up with the team on the 24th according to the story on rugby.com.au so your prob on the money about Hosea being cover for him. Although he should have been in there originally :mad:

Maybe, but he likely stands as first reserve lock to come into the squad if he's with them now, possibly even as soon as Swinton is ruled out. He certainly still has some things in his game to work on to be test match level, so I don't mind them waiting a little longer and giving him something to work towards.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
You could argue that only a handful of players would improve our best 23. But there are tonnes of players that would make the extended squad. I mean, Foketi made it and Kerevi exists for fuck sake.

And depth is the issue we need addressing. As everyone keeps saying. We can find 23 goodish test players in the country. It's once you need to take a step down that we immediately fall to shit.

Agreed - he's running the risk of getting a possible conviction which will cause some issues for his ability to travel internationally.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’m not surprised either, as indicated in my post prior to the decision.

re Foketi, there seems to a fair bit of discontent about his inclusion in the squad, but IMO he has been the form Australian 12 over the past couple of months and therefore has earned the right to at least be looked at.