• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
That is not an official data source. It’s a site that relies on information been provided by contributors and isn’t reviewed or endorsed by anyone. Don’t get me wrong crowds are poor but I wouldn’t be reading half of what is available on the internet unless it comes from a creditable journalist or directly from a club

https://www.austadiums.com/copyright
Directly from the website so they don’t get sued

The Austadiums Website is not an official website of any stadium or sports venue in Australia or anywhere else in the world. We can not guarantee the accuracy of information on this site and are in no way responsible for any circumstances which may occur as a result of our content

I trust them, & if you read the tea leafs around melbourne & Victoria across all sports it sits in line with about a 25-50% down turn. Look ppl out side of this state will look down & attack but the last 12 months have taken a massive toll that simply cant be explained on a forum but in short.

*The city offices being only at 50% capacity is having a massive hit. People dont go into the city on fridays anymore, dont go to bars & dont lob up to the afl, rebels, storm anymore its only die hards like you & me.

*Going to sport is something you do in your free time & ppl dont want to be controlled in that environment & the rules you have to follow when you go is intense. Children on the 2nd level cant even go to the bottom level after a game to go & get a selfie with their favorite player now day.

*I live in a regional town & work in a regional city with an afl club that very well could win a premiership this year & at a work function last week more than 75% of ppl said even when things open up again "i dont even know if I want to go to melbourne with going on" while I personally dont subscribe to that its a general feeling in country that melbourne is a dirty place full of ppl decision makers that dont care about country ppl.

Sports make have to accept that the cash in days of just take it to melbourne they'll support any sport days are over

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I was at every match, you’re talking shit. It was essentially the same as it has been the last couple of seasons which is between 7-9k. Poor but nothing any worse than it had been in previous seasons.
Lol the ground holds 29k there is no way one in three seats were full. The crowds were disappointing there is no two ways about it, we weren’t helped by the draw so it’s not all the clubs fault more the circumstances of the year

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wasn't sure where to post this but here is my idea for Australia’s 2nd tier competition. There are pro’s and con’s to this idea, however I believe this could be the best way forward without having to run at too much of a loss financially, and without having to rebrand too much.
How it would work:
*Once the Wallaby squad is picked, that eliminates roughly 38-40 players who wouldn’t take part (Unless dropped or for match fitness)*
Teams:
· Queensland Reds XV
· NSW Waratahs XV
· Western Force XV
· ACT Brumbies XV
· Melbourne Rebels XV
· Australian U20s
· Presidents XV (Made up of non-contracted club players and those who don’t get called into the above sides)
· TBD (Team from Fiji, Samoa, Tonga or somewhere else)
Everyone would play each other once, with top 3 or 4 progressing into finals.
Pro’s
· Already established squads of players with teams only having to call in players from respective state club competitions
· Already established team fanbases for support
· Gives players on fringe of wallaby selection 7-9 games to prove their worth or fitness
· Gives Australian Under 20 players the opportunity to test themselves against professional teams without the wallaby players involved
Con’s
· Diminishes the club competitions by taking the best players to fill squads and the Presidents XV
· No Wallaby players, so will there still be interest
· Club players having to move potentially interstate for a number of weeks

Below I have given a crack at teams based on Wallaby squad selection and injuries. I haven’t taken into account players leaving for other teams (i.e Pasitoa, Fines, Tapine etc)

For the Australian Under 20s, I have put their best squad together including super rugby players. These players could be picked for their super rugby franchise, however thought would be good to have them as strong as possible.

For the Presidents XV, I have included players who would probably get called up to other super teams but thought it would be fun anyway. We really have a shortage of club locks.

apcxv-png.12389

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That is a monumental piece of work, congratulations. I am not sure that it would be a good idea to put an under 20s squad in the comp. Maybe just have some of them, the more physically mature, in the Presiden't XV and just have the 6 squads. You obviously have a detailed knowledge of the club players, have you had a look at Eastwood's locks? Also Tim Anstee will be available after the Sevens. Michael Icely is another pretty handy Woodie.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Wasn't sure where to post this but here is my idea for Australia’s 2nd tier competition. There are pro’s and con’s to this idea, however I believe this could be the best way forward without having to run at too much of a loss financially, and without having to rebrand too much.
How it would work:
*Once the Wallaby squad is picked, that eliminates roughly 38-40 players who wouldn’t take part (Unless dropped or for match fitness)*
Teams:
· Queensland Reds XV
· NSW Waratahs XV
· Western Force XV
· ACT Brumbies XV
· Melbourne Rebels XV
· Australian U20s
· Presidents XV (Made up of non-contracted club players and those who don’t get called into the above sides)
Pro’s
· Already established squads of players with teams only having to call in players from respective state club competitions
· Gives players on fringe of wallaby selection 7-9 games to prove their worth or fitness
· Gives Australian Under 20 players the opportunity to test themselves against professional teams without the wallaby players involved
Con’s
· Diminishes the club competitions by taking the best players to fill squads and the Presidents XV
Below I have given a crack at teams based on Wallaby squad selection and injuries. I haven’t taken into account players leaving for other teams (i.e Pasitoa, Fines, Tapine etc)
For the Australian Under 20s, I have put their best squad together including super rugby players. These players could be picked for their super rugby franchise, however thought would be good to have them as strong as possible.
For the Presidents XV, I have included players who would probably get called up to other super teams but thought it would be fun anyway. We really have a shortage of club locks.
apcxv-png.12389

A lot of thought put into this and you've put up some interesting ideas. I agree with the idea of using the respective 2nd XV of each of the franchises as the base for the teams. Could even look to just wrap them in the previous NRC iterations. It would allow for those teams to be entirely professional. But I also agree with Wambers on throwing the U20s in there. They might be better off being folded into a combined 6th teams. Which I think should be RA run but branded in a central location (.i.e. Western Sydney, Brisbane 2 or elsewhere). This would allow for RA to ideally professionalize that squad for the entirety of the competition as well.

I'd want to see it run as a double round robin structure so each team gets 10 games. I think that's more appropriate personally. Something that has been banded about is that the franchises have recognised the lack of quality games talent are playing so a short single round isn't enough in my opinion. The exception being if we could get say all three PI nations involved in some form.

What I'd love to see is an expansion of the Aus Rugby Shield. With the abridged concept involving 6 teams forming the 1st div. and a 2nd Div. involving Syd Subbies, Brisbane Subbies, NSW Country/Wildfires, QLD Country, SA Falcons, Melbourne Axemen, Darwin Mozzies and Perth Gold. With the 2nd Div. running in two pools of 4 in a single round with a final and then a rep squad from that Div. getting a game against the bottom placed team from the 1st Div.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Having all the club games available on STAN will be a big boost for the lesser known players from struggling clubs. Maybe this is the pathway we are all looking for?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Having all the club games available on STAN will be a big boost for the lesser known players from struggling clubs. Maybe this is the pathway we are all looking for?

No. The pathway needs to involve a level that provides a far sterner testing ground than either Sydney or Brisbane premier Rugby can provide. What I'm essentially suggesting is a similar set up to NZ with the Bunnings NPC and Heartland Championship. A 6 team set up would allow for the franchises to run their extended squads and academy players and for RA to look over the uncontracted players in both Syd. and Brisbane to form a 6th team.

While the 2nd Div. would essentially allow players from the 'lesser' comps to compete and potentially be seen. Something that is very difficult at present.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
At the same time, club footy in NZ is eroding at a rapid rate - schools are gaining primacy as the recruiting ground for pro pathways.

Needs to change.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
At the same time, club footy in NZ is eroding at a rapid rate - schools are gaining primacy as the recruiting ground for pro pathways.

Needs to change.

Yep schools are the primary recruiting ground in NZ , has been for a while, but they put them in academies and get them playing club, ITM (now Bunnings) Cup

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Just to show what rugby is competing with, AFLs distribution to The Gold Coast Suns exceeds the total revenue of Super Rugby clubs by millions.

$27 million to the Suns in 2019, exceeds the total distribution of RA grants in the same year for all 5 teams.
F4AC1274-DBFE-47AE-BBCE-D6253E74CC42.jpeg

488C3AC5-4539-4823-B986-85D63C6CD362.png

Reactions: mst

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Just to show what rugby is competing with, AFLs distribution to The Gold Coast Suns exceeds the total revenue of Super Rugby clubs by millions.

$27 million to the Suns in 2019, exceeds the total distribution of RA grants in the same year for all 5 teams.

Bloody hell! And I suppose they're throwing just just as much at the Giants. Crazy money. We'd be going ballistic if RA was wasting that kind of money

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Bloody hell! And I suppose they're throwing just just as much at the Giants. Crazy money. We'd be going ballistic if RA was wasting that kind of money

Crazy money, but they got a 2.5 billion dollar 7 year deal, we got 100 million for 3

it roughly works out to nearly $20m per team per year (not going directly to just 2.5 billion divided by 7 years then divided by 18 teams)

us works out to around 6.6m

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
How it would work:
Teams:
· Queensland Reds XV
· NSW Waratahs XV
· Western Force XV
· ACT Brumbies XV
· Melbourne Rebels XV
· Australian U20s
Pro’s
Con’s

apcxv-png.12389
Been enjoying presidents xv in super w so why not a presidents xv in nrc mark3.0

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
That participation rate image just shows that junior participation isn't everything. I'm sure a lot of those kids playing soccer thought the same thing I did when I played soccer as a kid - that it's a fun game to play but boring as batshit to watch.