• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is a report in the Oz that Simon Cron might just be in the running. He did a sensationally good job with Norths, and would be a massive coup for the Tahs if he takes the reins.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think the tahs need to acquire a private detective to see if they can find the rugby strategy blueprint for Tahs success as apparently it has been missing since late 2014.

It was pretty simple, actually. First, import a world class number 6. Then, get the team very match fit, and do all the fitness stuff with them. Use all your motivational techniques to the max. I won't mention F****

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
There is a report in the Oz that Simon Cron might just be in the running. He did a sensationally good job with Norths, and would be a massive coup for the Tahs if he takes the reins.

Rugby news 2021: Waratahs new coach, Darren Coleman, Simon Cron, Michael Hooper, Wallabies, Super Rugby, updates (foxsports.com.au)

But it’s understood Hooper wants Cron to coach the Waratahs – and the Wallabies captain is an influential voice at the table, even if he does not get an official vote.

Cron is likely to have the support of new Waratahs chairman Tony Crawford, who was the President of Northern Suburbs when the New Zealander led the Shute Shield club to their first title in 41 years in 2016.

Well interesting. I would love for Cron to come back but he would need an experienced Director to help out.

The Article also states Holloway might be coming back

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Rugby news 2021: Waratahs new coach, Darren Coleman, Simon Cron, Michael Hooper, Wallabies, Super Rugby, updates (foxsports.com.au)

Well interesting. I would love for Cron to come back but he would need an experienced Director to help out.

The Article also states Holloway might be coming back

Cron does seem to have good contacts in the media, his every move through the last couple of years has been very positively documented. Undoubtedly he's a talented coach, but surely the Tahs need a head coach with more experience, even if paired with a strong DOR.

A surprise that they're not even interviewing Manenti.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cron does seem to have good contacts in the media, his every move through the last couple of years has been very positively documented. Undoubtedly he's a talented coach, but surely the Tahs need a head coach with more experience, even if paired with a strong DOR.

Arguably Cron's one year as head coach of Toyota Verblitz is more high end experience than Coleman has.

The Tahs could certainly do worse than listen to the wishes of Hooper in this regard.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

A surprise that they're not even interviewing Manenti.

I think the board and management needs to get their respective heads out their arses and realise this rebuild is a long way from finishing.

This is all about about managing the media's and supporter's expectations.

We need to pick and stick with a coach and live with the pain. This team is young with good potential but quite shit at the moment. There is no evidence this will change in the short term, and chopping and the coach because of these inevitable bad results to come will create a giant suck hole of misery for much longer.

Cron or Manetti or Coleman? Meh, I don't see much between them but we went the "experienced" coach way and burnt him, how could any experienced coach trust the board and management not to do the same again, the only motivator to me would be the cash we don't have and get in a mercenary who will do a job and expect to get a pay-out when it fails

Or we do a "Qld", pick someone with potential and stick with them through the pain and upgrade the roster as we can

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Or we do a "Qld", pick someone with potential and stick with them through the pain and upgrade the roster as we can

Cron? Perhaps ask Cheika back in the DOR role? I know he doesn't want to interrupt things, but could it work?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think the board and management needs to get their respective heads out their arses and realise this rebuild is a long way from finishing.

We need to pick and stick with a coach and live with the pain. This team is young with good potential but quite shit at the moment. There is no evidence this will change in the short term, and chopping and the coach because of these inevitable bad results to come will create a giant suck hole of misery for much longer.

Cron or Manetti or Coleman? Meh, I don't see much between them but we went the "experienced" coach way and burnt him, how could any experienced coach trust the board and management not to do the same again, the only motivator to me would be the cash we don't have and get in a mercenary who will do a job and expect to get a pay-out when it fails

6m in the bank and a handsome profit this year. Cash we aren't willing to spend seems more accurate.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Cron? Perhaps ask Cheika back in the DOR role? I know he doesn't want to interrupt things, but could it work?

I think the DIR may help, but they need buy in from the board and management as to the rugby philosophy, how they want to play

And the that sets out the recruitment, player retainment etc etc

So less marque randoms that come on the market that fulfil marketing goals and more "this kid/established player has the bones to play the way we want and is an upgrade on the current roster"

So less picking up the super talented young back who can't tackle or the hooker who can't throw or the prop who can't scrummage with the hope that they will turn into something against their essential nature

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think the DIR may help, but they need buy in from the board and management as to the rugby philosophy, how they want to play

And the that sets out the recruitment, player retainment etc etc

So less marque randoms that come on the market that fulfil marketing goals and more "this kid/established player has the bones to play the way we want and is an upgrade on the current roster"

So less picking up the super talented young back who can't tackle or the hooker who can't throw or the prop who can't scrummage with the hope that they will turn into something against their essential nature

You have the bones of a good team, getting that new 8 , Hanagian and Hooper back should really make you a better side next year off the bat.

Probably need a fullback maybe Donaldson and an extra winger to partner Ramm. but I dont really know where else you need to look at fixing.. Maybe a THP so HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) can go back to LHP.. and some better bench players.

Probably getting a coach that makes defence an important feature would help.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Cron was on "The Wondering Bear" podcast the other week and made a number of statements around building the Norths group and doing it with club players rather than just recruiting. I saw this as a jab at Coleman.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)

No doubt we need to pick and stick, and focus on developing a pathway for identifying good players and developing them through the system.

But whichever coach is chosen now is going to have to withstand a year or two of frustration, and plenty of negative press. I don't want to see a young but talented coach thrown into that situation and burnt out by it.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
None of those shortlisted names are overly inspiring.

Open question- would any of them actually be an improvement over Rob Penney?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not sure if it's already been mentioned but this article has Dylan Pietsch from the sevens at the tahs next year:
Once Pietsch returns from Tokyo with “gold”, he will join the Waratahs.
Already he is a part of their fabric, having painted every one of the playing group’s boots in Indigenous art for their final Super Rugby match of the year against the Chiefs.
Capable of benching 160kg and squatting 190kg, Pietsch will be a physical presence for the Waratahs when he touches down.

Article is well worth a read too, goes into some of the struggles he's been through and his desire to improve indigenous representation in the game. Looks like he could add a lot to the tahs off the field as well as on as they try and rebuild.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not sure if it's already been mentioned but this article has Dylan Pietsch from the sevens at the tahs next year:

Article is well worth a read too, goes into some of the struggles he's been through and his desire to improve indigenous representation in the game. Looks like he could add a lot to the tahs off the field as well as on as they try and rebuild.

Would love to know Ben Batger's thoughts on another Randwick player getting a gig at the Tahs!