• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
What type of lock is he? Definite one for the future?

Not 100% sure, never seen him play. Just know he has been the system since straight out of high school.

As much as ppl want to have a crack at us for poaching players, we have more in our system right now than the storm have managed in 23 years of which we now have one of them lol. (& I love the storm). Rugby is going okay in victoria it seems

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Not 100% sure, never seen him play. Just know he has been the system since straight out of high school.

As much as ppl want to have a crack at us for poaching players, we have more in our system right now than the storm have managed in 23 years of which we now have one of them lol. (& I love the storm). Rugby is going okay in victoria it seems

I was thinking the same thing. I was at Harlequins on the weekend and despite covid restrictions there's a lot of people around that care a lot about rugby. Just don't seem to show up at Rebels.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I was thinking the same thing. I was at Harlequins on the weekend and despite covid restrictions there's a lot of people around that care a lot about rugby. Just don't seem to show up at Rebels.
So many play Union but support league

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Its easy when you are allowed to rort the salary cap and filch all of Queensland's talent
Xavier Coates is their first marquee signing in more than 10 years. Yeah I don’t agree with them having a Queensland zone both the AFL and Union do a better job trying to grow the game. Look the salary cap well that was shocking I am not even a big storm fan as I always have preferred Union. But they have been clean for 10 years and still dominating

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Its easy when you are allowed to rort the salary cap and filch all of Queensland's talent

Spoken like a typical New South Welshman. Amazingly, It is 11 years since Storm's salary cap penalties were handed down. Since then the Storm have won 3 premierships, are you suggesting they are still breaching the salary cap? Just because you breach the salary cap doesn't mean you win premierships.

The Eels got caught breaching the salary cap and the only thing they won other the Auckland 9s was the wooden spoon.

When you say filch all of Queensland's talent - do you mean good talent identification and development. It is not like they plucked guns when they were recruited, Billy Slater was unwanted and drove from north Queensland to Norths Devils, the Storm's then feeder team for a trial. Munster was playing in Rockhampton for Central Queensland Capras.

Members Section you are correct the Rebels have significantly better local development than Storm. Storm have only had four Victorians play first grade - Mahe Fonua, Young Tonumaipea, Richie Kennar and Dean Ieremia.

Back to rugby, Derpus any truth to the rumour that the Tahs are about to sign a sponsorship agreement with Krispy Kreme Donuts to celebrate the Tahs number of wins this season?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
any way back to Rugby ..

We all happy with Foote? for me a bit same same as Wessels

Nope. WE improved thorugh the TT comp, but not to the levels required. We need a coach who has the championship mentalaity and midset. Ideally someone who has won major championships before.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
We definitely improved as TT went on.

Things improved after that terrible 50-3 pasting. Not perfect, but definite imporvment.

Playing a natural 5/8 at 5/8 - genius. Guidance and support from To'omua was a very smart decision.

Leota, Wells, Kellaway all improved throughout TT. No suprise to see them in the Wallaby squad as a result.

Hosea and Powell can feel unlucky they didn't get a call-up intho the squad of TT form.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So the club said last week they have 27 players signed up for next season. As per Reg there is 16 plus Nowlan according to his Instagram post last week which leaves 10 of the following

Unsigned:
Ed Craig (2021?)
Matt Gibbon (2021)
Rhys Van Nek (2021?)
Cabous Eloff (2021?)
Rob Leota (2021)
Richard Hardwick (2021)
Ross Haylett-Petty (2021?)
James Tuttle (2021)
Theo Strang (2021)
Carter Gordon (2021?)
Lewis Holland (2021)
Mason Gordon (2021?)

Ed Craig was in the video of leaving players but not named on the website. Not sure if Mason Gordon was actually signed up full time nor Isaac Aedo Kailea, but hopefully they are apart of the 27 or close to getting re signed. George Worth was an injury cover 1 season contract.

Found this article https://www.rugbypass.com/news/melb...uo-to-squad-ahead-of-super-rugby-au-kick-off/ about the 2 Argentine boys but gives no time on it.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
So the club said last week they have 27 players signed up for next season. As per Reg there is 16 plus Nowlan according to his Instagram post last week which leaves 10 of the following

Unsigned:
Ed Craig (2021?)
Matt Gibbon (2021)
Rhys Van Nek (2021?)
Cabous Eloff (2021?)
Rob Leota (2021)
Richard Hardwick (2021)
Ross Haylett-Petty (2021?)
James Tuttle (2021)
Theo Strang (2021)
Carter Gordon (2021?)
Lewis Holland (2021)
Mason Gordon (2021?)

Ed Craig was in the video of leaving players but not named on the website. Not sure if Mason Gordon was actually signed up full time nor Isaac Aedo Kailea, but hopefully they are apart of the 27 or close to getting re signed. George Worth was an injury cover 1 season contract.

Found this article https://www.rugbypass.com/news/melb...uo-to-squad-ahead-of-super-rugby-au-kick-off/ about the 2 Argentine boys but gives no time on it.
Leota would have re-signed as he got out of his French contract