• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Agree with this 100%.

Every team has at least one young and developing 10 - Force (Pasitoa), Rebels (Gordon x 2), Tahs (Harrison, Donaldson & Edmed), Brums (Lolesio) and Reds (Lynagh, Grealy(?). And we also have JOC (James O'Connor) & To'omua here to get games in gold until these guys have truly earned it - at least one of those two should be at RWC 2023. Best position we've been in at 10 for a long time.
Donaldson would be the ideal pick up for the Reds.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
BUT YOU DIDN'T DEVELOP HIM?!?!?!

Sorry. Not directed at you. But couldn't resist!
For the betterment of Australian Rugby we will take him. Good to get a young 10 to a team that that struggles to produce any talent.

Don’t have the appropriate emoji to represent sarcasm…………..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I thought he was standard when not injured. I think he would be more reliable then stewart as no.3 choice and possibly a better choice then Hegarty as the no.2

Lance wasn't great this year and slipped down to 3rd I'd have Stewart and Hegarty in front of him.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
So I don't think we can expect the drip feed signings like other clubs do. The QRU seem to just name the whole squad, plus I don't now if there's much recruiting to do.

From our records on the front page we have 24 players signed for next year.

24 signed
Hookers – Alex Mafi & Josh Nasser
THPs – Taniela Tupou & Zane Nongorr
LHPs – Harry Hoopert
Locks – Lukhan Salakai-Loto, Angus Blyth, Ryan Smith, Tuaina Taii Tualima, Wilson Blyth
Backrower – Harry Wilson & Fraser McReight
Scrumhalf – Tate McDermott & Kalani Thomas
Flyhalf – James O’Connor
Centres – Hamish Stewart, Hunter Paisami, Jordan Petaia & Josh Flook
Wings – Suliasi Vunivalu, Iliaisa Droasese & Filipo Daugunu
Fullback – Jock Campbell & Mac Grealy

Now, I am not entirely sure if Wilson Blyth is on a development contract again next year or a full one (he probably should still be on a development one as I don't think he's quite ready).

From the un-signed guys of this year I think we can add in:
- Dane Zander as another LHP and Feao Fotuaika who can play both sides. Hoopert probably as 12 months to prove his worth.
- Liam Wright, Angus Scott-Young and Seru Uru as backrowers (with Uru covering lock as well if needed)
- Bryce Hegarty as back up 10 acknowledging that Hamish Stewart proved a reliable back up late in the season plus we have young Lynagh and Anan in the development program.
- Isaac Henry deserves a full time contract too

That takes us up to 31 which must be close to the mark considering the reduced salary cap. We need another hooker as Nasser isn't up to it yet (but is a fine back third option). James Hanson could be one, but depends on salary cap. Perhaps we get Rhys Van Nek back or consider Richie Asiata a hooker option.

A third scrumhalf is needed too. So we either take James Tuttle who is keen to come back apparently or chase Ben Meehan or do we back another youngster in Spencer Jeans or the like.

In short, the same squad basically as this year. Which will be fine for Super Rugby AU (Force one to watch next year, Brumbies look shaky). But it's going to require a mammoth improvement across the squad (playing and coaching) for us to be competitive with the kiwis.

Matt Faessler was on a contract this year - what chance he of breaking into the match day squad - surely a better option at hooker than Nasser?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Just turned the Tele on to watch the Penrith and Roosters game. There’s no Sam Walker. I thought he was the new star for the Roosters. Maybe a call for halfback going forward. Tate doing better than okay but a bit of competition doesn’t go astray.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just turned the Tele on to watch the Penrith and Roosters game. There’s no Sam Walker. I thought he was the new star for the Roosters. Maybe a call for halfback going forward. Tate doing better than okay but a bit of competition doesn’t go astray.
Just looked it up, he’s injured this week

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I know. Can play flyhalf but also a possibility at halfback.
Just read he has shoulder injuries, so a move back to rugby could be a good option for career longevity.
He had shoulder issues even when playing schoolboy footy , mind you he was playing both league and union at the time.

Will be a tough gig playing regular NRL with dodgy shoulders.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It would be foolish to think that was always the primary selection criteria. Well I hope not. I would welcome Donaldson with open arms.
Donaldson would be great pick up as also more likely to be developed better I hate to say it being at Reds or Brumbies...as this season showed me super rugby ready and looks to have more upside potential still to be unleashed.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
From the un-signed guys of this year I think we can add in:
- Dane Zander as another LHP and Feao Fotuaika who can play both sides. Hoopert probably as 12 months to prove his worth.
- Liam Wright, Angus Scott-Young and Seru Uru as backrowers (with Uru covering lock as well if needed)
- Bryce Hegarty as back up 10 acknowledging that Hamish Stewart proved a reliable back up late in the season plus we have young Lynagh and Anan in the development program.
- Isaac Henry deserves a full time contract too

Long time listener, first time caller...

I've heard credibly that the Brumbies were chasing Henry quite hard, and the Reds hadn't put anything on the table (at the time). Would be a huge shame to lose him - one of the shining lights late in the season for mine, and could flourish around Paisami and JOC (James O'Connor)

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Long time listener, first time caller.

I've heard credibly that the Brumbies were chasing Henry quite hard, and the Reds hadn't put anything on the table (at the time). Would be a huge shame to lose him - one of the shining lights late in the season for mine, and could flourish around Paisami and JOC (James O'Connor)
Didn’t he spend last year in the Brumbies system?