• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Not sure about 2022 but Tom Lynagh is a new signing to the Reds, so I assume he is on the list of possible fly halves to back up JOC (James O'Connor).

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Sad to see Hegarty go but it's not too surprising. He's at that stage in his career where he needs to think about how long he has left and what he can get for his time. Absolutely stoked for him to be going to Leicester though, it's a step up from the Japan/MLR contract I thought he'd get.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
How's Sam Greene going over in Japan? I'd imagine he'd be an ok replacement for Hegarty especially if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down?

No idea but I think I heard previously that he is focused on qualifying for Japan due to his residency there.
Unsure if what I recall refers to Greene or another player but that would probably rule him out from the reds.

Would have to take a significant paycut to be Hegarty replacement

J

JeepsTragic

From the un-signed guys of this year I think we can add in:
- Dane Zander as another LHP and Feao Fotuaika who can play both sides. Hoopert probably as 12 months to prove his worth.

Reds have two problems:

First is neither Zander nor Hoopert can dominate a scrum in club rugby so what chance do they have in Super rugby?

I will give Zander some credit that he does sometimes step up when playing for the Reds. But other times he gets worked. especially against the kiwi's.

Nonggorr seems to be developing well is is a good option as reserve tight head BUT the Reds are very thin on the ground for loose heads.

Second problem is losing Hegarty. He is not a super star but he is solid and can cover a number of positions. I cant see anyone in the current crop of players that can fill his boots. When does Noddy jnr arrive? Has he played any rugby at a senior level? Does he come here and play club rugby for a bit to get used to playing men instead of schoolboys? I cant see him making any impact in 2022 unless he is as exceptional as his old man. Not bagging him in any way - I suppose he is an unknown quantity.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't understand the issue people have with Zander, he scrums really well and has developed a mountain of experience for a front-rower who is only 21 years old, this year he has demonstrated quality scrummaging at super rugby level against wallaby and all black props.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
From the un-signed guys of this year I think we can add in:
- Dane Zander as another LHP and Feao Fotuaika who can play both sides. Hoopert probably as 12 months to prove his worth.

Reds have two problems:

First is neither Zander nor Hoopert can dominate a scrum in club rugby so what chance do they have in Super rugby?

I will give Zander some credit that he does sometimes step up when playing for the Reds. But other times he gets worked. especially against the kiwi's.

Nonggorr seems to be developing well is is a good option as reserve tight head BUT the Reds are very thin on the ground for loose heads.

Second problem is losing Hegarty. He is not a super star but he is solid and can cover a number of positions. I cant see anyone in the current crop of players that can fill his boots. When does Noddy jnr arrive? Has he played any rugby at a senior level? Does he come here and play club rugby for a bit to get used to playing men instead of schoolboys? I cant see him making any impact in 2022 unless he is as exceptional as his old man. Not bagging him in any way - I suppose he is an unknown quantity.

I think that Hamish is far better than Hegarty and has the skills to cover plenty of positions.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Hamish was progressing into a great flyhalf in his late teenage years and seems to has not moved on as we hoped. I would still regard him as having a solid core base in all key areas but seems to have lost his mojo. Not that I would want to lose him at the Reds but maybe a new environment with another franchise will invigorate his passion for rugby. His complacency might be the issue.
In terms of our options for flyhalf, or more so ‘playmaker’, beyond JOC (James O'Connor) he is still our best choice with Hegarty tripping off OS. Lynagh and Annan are still 1 to 2 years away and really there is no one else if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down. Thoughts?

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hamish was progressing into a great flyhalf in his late teenage years and seems to have not moved on as we hoped. I would still regard him as having a solid core base in all key areas but seems to have lost his mojo. Not that I would want to lose him at the Reds but maybe a new environment with another franchise will invigorate his passion for rugby. His complacency might be the issue.
In terms of our options for flyhalf, or more so ‘playmaker’, beyond JOC (James O'Connor) he is still our best choice with Hegarty tripping off OS. Lynagh and Annan are still 1 to 2 years away and really there is no one else if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down. Thoughts?
I think that’s all pretty accurate.

I thought Stewart had a bit of a surge in 2020 and thought he might have really kicked on, but unfortunately he doesn’t seem to have this year. I think he is sound as a 10 back up, but I think it was notable that McDermott was more prominent when JOC (James O'Connor) was out.

I think the problem for Hegarty is that the re-signing of JOC (James O'Connor), the form of Vunivalu, the blooding of Grealy and the acquisition of Lynagh all probably combine to erode his value to the Reds beyond next season and, that being the case, the gap between what he could get here and what he could get OS probably widened significantly for a 2 year deal. Pure speculation on my part, of course, but when it comes to spreading the contracting dollars around I can see a likely scenario where Hegarty got pushed down the priorities.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hamish was progressing into a great flyhalf in his late teenage years and seems to has not moved on as we hoped. I would still regard him as having a solid core base in all key areas but seems to have lost his mojo. Not that I would want to lose him at the Reds but maybe a new environment with another franchise will invigorate his passion for rugby. His complacency might be the issue.

I don't know about Hamish in his late teens, I thought he came from 7 at school. He has always been an incredibly talented rugby player and ended transitioning to 10. I don't think Red coaches have been good playmaker builders for some time. I include Thorn but it started earlier.

Stewart can certainly play rugby in the 10 position. That isn't good enough from my POV. That said Tate is getting stronger at 9.5, and you'd imagine Stewart would have Paisami outside him who is also building playmaking abilities.

It doesn't fill me with enthusiasm though.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Hamish thrives on praise and his performance is a direct correlation of how coaches value him. Stiles brought him along nicely at flyhalf in his late teens but still away to go to be in Wallabies contention at that time. I still think he’s got a bit of juice in the tank before shipping of OS. I rate him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hamish thrives on praise and his performance is a direct correlation of how coaches value him. Stiles brought him along nicely at flyhalf in his late teens but still away to go to be in Wallabies contention at that time. I still think he’s got a bit of juice in the tank before shipping of OS. I rate him.

Sensational player. 10 just seems a square peg in a round hole if you know what I mean? OR he has to be allowed to try things, playmaker things moreso than defence and turnovers.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't know about Hamish in his late teens, I thought he came from 7 at school. He has always been an incredibly talented rugby player and ended transitioning to 10. I don't think Red coaches have been good playmaker builders for some time. I include Thorn but it started earlier.

Playing Kerevi ball in 2018 and 2019 didn't help the Reds with their play making either. The gameplan seemed to firmly sit the camp of let Samu get us over the gain line and just see what happens.

I actually think there is direct correlation between Stewart's slowed development down the track and the way he has been asked to adapt his game quite severely from his first few years in the Reds system.

In saying that, it shows the difference between a solid player like Stewart, and a great player like Paisami who has adapted his game and evolved quite a bit in a shorter time in the Reds setup.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Playing Kerevi ball in 2018 and 2019 didn't help the Reds with their play making either. The gameplan seemed to firmly sit the camp of let Samu get us over the gain line and just see what happens.

I actually think there is direct correlation between Stewart's slowed development down the track and the way he has been asked to adapt his game quite severely from his first few years in the Reds system.

In saying that, it shows the difference between a solid player like Stewart, and a great player like Paisami who has adapted his game and evolved quite a bit in a shorter time in the Reds setup.

I would think you'd still want a playmaker with a Kerevi gain line strategy. What happens immediately after Samu takes it up? Don't you need a 10? But yes, it was how Stewart was asked to play and he did it well.

From recollection we played a double backline with Kerevi with 10 directing which was fed. But Stewart in 2021 was used in contact and D in order to give JOC (James O'Connor) and Paisami more freedom. I don't feel I'm dissing Stewart at all suggesting that Hegarty is a better 10, Stewart was excellent doing what he was asked to do. It just develops a skillset that is not a traditional 10.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
You're essentially arguing about your second-string fly-half.

As a back-up, Stewart should be more than adequate (provided he doesn't have to start more than two to three games).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You're essentially arguing about your second-string fly-half.

As a back-up, Stewart should be more than adequate (provided he doesn't have to start more than two to three games).

If your squad development is on song, your second-string flyhallf is also a very good likelihood your future first-string flyhalf. Otherwise you have built in a transition gap at some future point.