• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

can anyone tell me what happened to andrew barrett? so many schoolboys caps but nothing seems to have come of it?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I saw him at the ground this year and he's just one of those good schoolboy players who never kicked on. He was playing 1st grade in 2006 when he was still at school and he hasn't improved as a 1st grade player since. He's no dud at that level but seems to have lost whatever speed he had at school, which was not a lot to start with.

His strength at school was that he played beyond his years with rugby smarts, but others caught up with him as he got older.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He talks the talk

I'm no one-year wonder, says new Waratah Barnes
JOSH RAKIC
January 10, 2010
Barnstorming run...Berrick Barnes has been enjoying his pre-season time with the Waratahs and thinks the team is a strong chance for a Super 12 title.

SUPERSTAR (?) Waratah Berrick Barnes hosed down speculation a deal with new franchise Melbourne Rebels was a fait accompli and gave his best indication yet he intends to remain in Sydney beyond this year.

The Wallabies vice-captain is yet to take the field for NSW after abandoning a sinking Queensland ship late last year. But since talk of Melbourne's introduction in 2011, he has been the target of speculation after agreeing to only a one-year deal with the Waratahs, which expires this year.

However, the 23-year-old inside centre/five-eighth does have an option to extend his association with the Waratahs into 2011, and the fact his girlfriend also resides in Sydney suggests Barnes is considering making Sydney home.

"Obviously you take an interest in Melbourne because you're part of the competition and they're the new team coming in," Barnes told The Sun-Herald.

"And it's obviously known to everyone I've signed a one-year deal. But all going well, and we'll see how we go the next few weeks. I've come down here to play football for the Waratahs.

"I haven't worried about Melbourne one bit. I'm fully focused on my role here to begin the season, and things will happen down the track which are out of my control.

"You guys can write what you want. I'm here for the Waratahs."

The fact the Wallabies are based in Sydney for the second half of each year is also appealing to Barnes, who admitted he'd taken quickly to the Sydney lifestyle.

"I enjoy being able to get down to the surf after a training session and just relax and get away from it all," Barnes said.

"I didn't have that freedom in Brisbane where you'd go home and you've got to live it 24 hours a day. It's good here to get that little bit of a break and get that bit of downtime."

Barnes joins fellow Wallabies Phil Waugh, Al Baxter, Adam Freier, Dean Mumm, Lachlan Turner, Drew Mitchell, Kurtley Beale, Luke Burgess, Dave Dennis, Sekope Kepu, Wycliff Palu, Tatafu Polota-Nau and Benn Robinson in an impressive Waratahs squad, and said playing in a team with such great experience was extremely appealing.

"I've come down to be part of a side that's led by Phil Waugh and other senior guys like Al Baxter," said Barnes, who at 22 all but carried the Reds' hopes on his shoulders alone.

"It is a bit like Wallabies training. It's good to have those guys from the Wallabies camp and that nucleus.

"Those combinations are obviously going to help the team.

"They've got a good leadership group down here, and even the younger guys like Daniel Halangahu, Ben Mowen and Tom Carter take on a big responsibility.

"These guys are all helping out, which puts the Waratahs in the best position to win a title."

Barnes also hinted he could line-up in the No.12 jumper – his most successful position for the Wallabies – by paying incumbent No.10 Daniel Halangahu a massive compliment.

Halangahu staved off attempts from Kurtley Beale to hold the five-eighth's position at the end of last season, and many experts see him as the Waratahs' best option at 10, with Barnes at No.12 and Beale No.15.

"There's no preference between flyhalf or inside centre for me. I've come here with the aim to play in a side and earn my spot, wherever that may be – 10 or 12," he said.

"They've got guys here in No.10 like Daniel Halangahu, who's a calm sort of player, controls the game and kicks well. And then you've got Kurtley who brings a lot of skill and flair to his game as well. I'm just as happy at 12 so it'll come down to whatever Chris Hickey and Scott Wisemantel think are best."

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
let the bidding begin, melbourne want him, nsw want him, saying he will stay in sydney is only going to make melbourne pay more for him, good management and good play! its why he is who he is!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
waratahjesus said:
let the bidding begin, melbourne want him, nsw want him, saying he will stay in sydney is only going to make melbourne pay more for him, good management and good play! its why he is who he is!

Somebody with some grey hair should take him aside and tell him Son, once you string together more than three good games together in a year and manage to go the whole season without breaking down, by all means take the spotlight. Until then, put your head down. But the kid loves the attention.

Never ever have I seen this much hype about a player who plays so little yet is quoted and interviewed ad nauseam. He is wonderfully talented but let's see it now.

G

Geronimo

Oh soo true. But he is a good bloke from all reports, but I would like to see him produce more consistently.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Aren't the rebels "banned" from signing Wallabies for 6 months? (not that it's in any way enforceable)

T

TOCC

Gagger, all teams are forbidden from signing a player from another province before the end of the season, there is however no stopping a manager from negotiating with another club before the end of the season.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
the ban isnt actually a ban, they can sign the player at any time, there just a) not allowed to announce it and b) the player cant talk about or pull on the jersey of a rival club whilst playing for another.

the papers will however still be able to report on who has signed were.

T

TOCC

waratahjesus said:
the ban isnt actually a ban, they can sign the player at any time, there just a) not allowed to announce it and b) the player cant talk about or pull on the jersey of a rival club whilst playing for another.

the papers will however still be able to report on who has signed were.

maybe you interpreted these quotes from JON differently to me, but they definetly indicate that a player wont be able to sign until after the season

"We will be introducing a protocol as to when signings can and can't happen," O'Neill said.

"It's hard to be entirely prescriptive, people will still negotiate," O'Neill said.

"But they can't announce or they can't then clinically sign players until after the end of Super rugby.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-window-for-super-signings-20100105-lrx0.html

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
they can sign a letter of agreement and in fact a contract is my understanding TOCC, the only thing they want to avoid is players and teams announcing signings while australian teams are still playing.

last year there was a shot of matt giteau holding a brumbies jersey while the super 14 was still going, happens all the time in other professional sports but its a bad look anywhere.

its unrealistic, especially for wallaby players to think they can only sort there window and move to a new city to play in a couple of months between seasons.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, no more Brendan Cannons having press conferences in April/May announcing their next contract wearing their new jersey. :angryfire:

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Never ever have I seen this much hype about a player who plays so little yet is quoted and interviewed ad nauseam. He is wonderfully talented but let's see it now.

Not even sure he is that talented, but does work hard, tackles very well. At the moment I would class him in the same category as Elton Flately as far as talent is concerned - they'll get the job done for you but probably won't blow a game open like a Larkham/Horan type.

T

TOCC

waratahjesus said:
they can sign a letter of agreement and in fact a contract is my understanding TOCC, the only thing they want to avoid is players and teams announcing signings while australian teams are still playing.

last year there was a shot of matt giteau holding a brumbies jersey while the super 14 was still going, happens all the time in other professional sports but its a bad look anywhere.

its unrealistic, especially for wallaby players to think they can only sort there window and move to a new city to play in a couple of months between seasons.
hey maybe your right, but it would seem to contradict what was said by JON, no ones stopping a player from negotiating, JON has even conceded thats practically impossible, so a player might have a firm idea of where he wants to be in the proceeding year, they just wont be able to officially sign until the end of the season, maybe he can sign a letter of agreement earlier though.

Heck who knows, there might be a contract window in June when the internationals are taking place

T

TOCC

definetly looks as though a player wont be able to sign until August waratahjesus

"And we've got to talk to Australian players and talk to Australian rugby to see what the (recruiting) conditions are."

Those conditions, which at present allow the Rebels to talk to but not sign any Wallabies or Super 14 players until August, are being discussed.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...es-on-rebel-hunt/story-e6frfgkf-1225819013782

however its believe that the new melbourne team is going to try and contest this rule

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Phil Waugh's words are music to the ears of the Tahs faithful & fickle

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/bold-waugh-flags-philosophical-shift-for-waratahs-20100123-mrk5.html
''The biggest thing for us this year is to play an attractive style of rugby,'' Waugh told The Sun-Herald.

''..I think the most important thing is to play a very high-skilled game of rugby which is attractive for people to watch.''

''On top of guys like Lachie Turner and Rob Horne, we've got the likes of Berrick Barnes and Drew Mitchell on board this year.

''The strike-power and creativity are certainly there."

A different philosophy on last year's 'win first, entertain later' but count me amongst the cynics. Enough talk, let's see them execute.

They've imported some talent but the real question remains chemistry. The backs need to start working as a unit instead of as 7 individuals.

The big question - Will Phil be dropping himself to the bench then ? Surely one of the biggest obstacles would be his style of rugby and insisting his teammates slow the pace of the game down so he can keep up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
All well and god to talk about playing nicely, but people are attracted to winning too Phil

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
NTA said:
All well and god to talk about playing nicely, but people are attracted to winning too Phil

the tahs won more games than any other australian side last year, winning didnt attract the crowds.
the report on last night sounded like they outplayed the reds in running rugby quite a bit, good signs, the wins will come, barnes putting the ball in front of the tahs pack can only lead to good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.