• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies' Chairman doesn't pull punches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If my fat arse can ride 8km into work three times a week then you can surely pump your long veldt-running legs to the rugby?

You're right about the rude staff though. Sorry for giving you guys a job you ungrateful fuckers!

R

rugbywhisperer

All you poor little diddums in Sydney.
Now apply those travel thoughts to whatever Brisbane ground a game is at.
The lest painful is the buslink to Suncorp but you then have the interminable wait and 30km bus ride.

Getting in and out of Ballymore is a trial that tests the best of us - the only saving grace being the reduction in crowds means it is actually getting easier.
Of course then there is the famous facilities at Ballymore, the extremely expansive seating, the overly officious 'crowd controllers', usually not being allowed to use the newer seating - oh what an enjoyable time it is going there - NOT

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
All you poor little diddums in Sydney.
Now apply those travel thoughts to whatever Brisbane ground a game is at.
The lest painful is the buslink to Suncorp but you then have the interminable wait and 30km bus ride.

Getting in and out of Ballymore is a trial that tests the best of us - the only saving grace being the reduction in crowds means it is actually getting easier.
Of course then there is the famous facilities at Ballymore, the extremely expansive seating, the overly officious 'crowd controllers', usually not being allowed to use the newer seating - oh what an enjoyable time it is going there - NOT
Don't you guys all just ride in with the wagon loaded with moonshine, and hitch the carts outside?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
NTA said:
If my fat arse can ride 8km into work three times a week then you can surely pump your long veldt-running legs to the rugby?

You're right about the rude staff though. Sorry for giving you guys a job you ungrateful fuckers!

Distance not the issues. I use the bike a lot but I am just not that keen to ride through the city and cross the harbour bridge after a few lagers at 11pm. Seems like an unpleasant idea.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I reckon they should build a new stadium and home admin office out at homebush, they don't have the money but thats where they should be planning, theres heaps of ungentrified areas still down there, in fact right next to stadium australia, 40-60k stadium with home offices and a bit of parking, easier to get to from eastwood than getting to the SFS

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
RugbyFuture said:
I reckon they should build a new stadium and home admin office out at homebush, they don't have the money but thats where they should be planning, theres heaps of ungentrified areas still down there, in fact right next to stadium australia, 40-60k stadium with home offices and a bit of parking, easier to get to from eastwood than getting to the SFS
I think the utility of Homebush has been well seen with S14 games out there already, not to mention the crappily attended Tests. No thanks. And that aint only 'cos I live East. It is a shit place to watch rugby. Another stadium won't fix that - besides, contracts have been signed for several years. Aint gonna change.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
the main problem is the stadium, in developing the game and in terms of audience development it would be better than the SFS if it was a purpose built rectangular stadium

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I really don't know what you guys are whingeing about, the SFS is class.

Close enough to town to get on the sauce, small enough to get a good view, you can get a pie and a beer during the game. One of my favourite grounds in the world as a matter of fact.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
RugbyFuture said:
the main problem is the stadium, in developing the game and in terms of audience development it would be better than the SFS if it was a purpose built rectangular stadium
The SFS is a purpose built rectangular stadium! It's also one of the best places to watch rugby I've ever been. Perhaps Jade stadium had a slight edge, but only cause they refrigerated the whole thing to stop your beers going warm

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Moses said:
RugbyFuture said:
The SFS is a purpose built rectangular stadium! It's also one of the best places to watch rugby I've ever been. Perhaps Jade stadium had a slight edge, but only cause they refrigerated the whole thing to stop your beers going warm

on one side of the city though

C

chief

SFS is a pretty class stadium for the one rugby game I saw there. I don't see the fuss here, the location isn't too bad, good for Randwick supporters.

Ballymore is a decent stadium too, I like the atmosphere it has to it, but whisperer is right, it is becoming a very dodgey stadium. The very few places to get your food. However the good thing is transport has improved, The Northern Busway is only about a 15 minute walk from Ballymore. With plenty of buses to and from there.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
RugbyFuture said:
Moses said:
RugbyFuture said:

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Rugby has citywide appeal though. I know we have talked about neglecting the West at length here, but the most important areas are still the East and North. The SFS is pretty central to both of those, with the move to Homebush only serving to alienate them.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
RugbyFuture said:
Moses said:
RugbyFuture said:

Is there a location in Sydney which isn't on one side of the city?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Homebush.

But anyway - the point is at the SFS the transport is shit, the service is shit, but as a viewing stadium its hard to beat. I would like to attend Suncorp for a S14 game some time (not this year alas) to make the comparison. It would need a decent crowd to beat a Crusaders v Tahs game though. Brumbies v Tahs is a bit dead because most people really have no idea how to support their rugby team.

A mate of mine who supports AFL (but like a good Aussie likes to watch any sport) said that rugby needs better crowds. I said "oh well the numbers aren't that bad" and he said "No, I mean you need better crowds. People who know how to cheer and get loud and show their team some spirit. Not just sitting there like they watch it on TV".

C

chief

Rugby in Australia are more there to see the game, as Noddy(?) pointed out in the moments of the decade. We are keen to see a decent game of rugby. This will sound completely like a stereotype, but I was at a Broncos Rugby League game twice this year, sorrounded plenty of drunks yelling at the referee being shit, and for someone to "feed the cu*t." While at a Union game similar crowd, you get less drunks and a lot less yelling which some people think it comes across as less passion.

T

troya

Homebush sucks ...... give us pre game mataches so we can see some tries scored before the main match.
Why dont they play the Waratah "A"s or Junior Waratah games for every home match or the Army V Navy games.

But ... knock knock .... Miss Marketing lady out there at Waratah Limited . Let everyone know....

They still have the 2009 schedule on their web site

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
chief said:
While at a Union game similar crowd, you get less drunks and a lot less yelling which some people think it comes across as less passion.

No. The fact that most people sit there like stunned mullets and won't even join in on a chorus of "WA-RA-TAAAAAHS!" is proof positive that we're a bunch of wet fish as rugby supporters.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And quite a few older members ALWAYS leave before the fulltime whistle to avoid getting caught in a traffic jam, no matter what the state of play. It's hard to fathom why they go in the first place. Any raising of one's voice is severely looked down upon by those members.

Status
Not open for further replies.