• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Surely there is a higher propensity to support a sport you have previously played?

The difference with basketball there is an extremely clear competitive class difference between NBL and NBA (as with the A League against just about every other soccer league) which as rugby fans we don't see in our competitions (Super and TRC). For most fans or casual viewers there isn't an alternative product (there certainly isn't in NRL and AFL for that matter).

Imagine how much money how much money Basketball Australia or FFA would rake in if they were getting a cut of all the merchandise or TV rights (or things like game pass) for related things in Australia compared to if RA did? It would be extremely disproportionate.
Yep aree completely, didn't mean otherwise, but you kind of get what I mean, for you need to be able to see near the top of the sporting codes to be successful on tv and crowds etc. I just mentioned it because some were talking about Hockey and basketball player numbers, and I don't see it as really having much to do with sports following? I would guess Basketball Aus etc would get of merchandise rights etc of Aus basketball etc, but wouldn't be much would it?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Hockey is seriously underfunded. Hockey participation numbers though is huge. Melbourne would have at least 20 clubs with more the 10 teams at each. Altona is a small top league club, has 5 mens, 4 women's, and probably about 12 junior teams.

Majority of the Aussie men's team are based in Perth most of the year, they normally go to play in the IPL to make some money.
What I was trying to inject was some reflection on these statements that Rugby Union should be looking at the examples set by other sports is rather silly. Rugby Union has its own unique dynamics that are so different from these other sports.

Also, I'd challenge that Hockey participation numbers are huge. 125,000 registered players across a country of 26million is far from huge. The economics around field hockey is so different. Last I looked Hockey Australia's reported revenue was primarily government grants.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Whose participation claims aren’t. My local club claims 5,700 players across junior and senior leagues. I also cant think of many people I know who don’t play, used to play, or have a kid playing. There are such low barriers to entry.
Agree. Lots of council courts, hoops on houses plus increasing indoor facilities for all season/weather play. Small team sizes and number of players required for a game compared to a lot of other team sports. Little equipment required. Little contact concerns like contact sports. Good uptake in schools who increasingly have courts. Couple that with the NBA and it's not a hard product to market and the market growth is understandable. It also doesn't compete directly with many other sports except maybe Netball somewhat.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
regards basketball it’s no2 most popular outside sports in the world (behind futbol)

most popular indoor sports in the world.

Australian men’s basketball program is really starting to see the spoils of what Michael Jordan impact left on the game.

off topic: I’m also seeing a few colts rugby players now coming thru the ranks with the name Lebron (rebels have their own Lebron who’s a pretty handy midfielder)

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
It also doesn't compete directly with many other sports except maybe Netball somewhat.
Maybe not directly, but ask any lock what sport most people assume they play, and rugby isn't their first guess.....

A strong basketball culture is just one more challange we are almost unique in having to face in World Rugby (except obv France, Italy and NZ)

Reactions: dru

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
It is interesting that we are talking about other sports. Molman mentioned netball.

Netball has large participation numbers but have struggled to turn that into fans. There is a cross section of social netballers who don't even know Super Netball exists. There has been to a large extent poor engagement between Super Netball teams / state Netball associations and grassroots Netball.

A lot of marketing of Super Netball and events relating to Super Netball are aimed at 9 or 10 year old girls which doesn't appeal to interested adults.

The governance of Netball Australia has been of a similar standard to that of RA.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I would love to us consider:

Louwrens, C Gordon, Vaihu/Lancaster, Jooste, Proctor, Daugunu, Kellaway, RES: Tuttle, Feliuai, Anderson

For our backs next week, presuming fitness.

It's not necessarily... the style? we've been playing, but it puts our really strong communicators in important defensive positions, and puts our two biggest attacking weapons out wide with a lot of space.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Interesting point of view I've pinched from the Roar about the Rebs (thanks Piccolino whoever you are) - "I think the point is by partering with the consortium, Rebels don’t have to make a profit. Instead, having a local A league and Super Rugby team drives up the value of the land they bought cheap in Western Melbourne. So long as the team losses are less than the value uplift from their commercial land, the Rebels are a good investment and their losses are worth funding. If it justifies a metro line being funded it will be a particularly good investment for the consortium'

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting point of view I've pinched from the Roar about the Rebs (thanks Piccolino whoever you are) - "I think the point is by partering with the consortium, Rebels don’t have to make a profit. Instead, having a local A league and Super Rugby team drives up the value of the land they bought cheap in Western Melbourne. So long as the team losses are less than the value uplift from their commercial land, the Rebels are a good investment and their losses are worth funding. If it justifies a metro line being funded it will be a particularly good investment for the consortium'
Yeah I mentioned this earlier in the thread, however the issue with this is it’s not a sustainable business model longer term, land owned by them is finite and developers aren’t known for giving a shit about their developments past settlement date.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Actually quite happy with the win over Drua, when you consider who was missing.

Wilkin, Leota, Kemeny, Kellaway, Anderson. That's 33% of your starting lineup.

20 and 23 season, 23 points secured 8th place. We are currently sitting on 19, 9th is on 9 points. So two more wins from the remaining 7 games should all but assure the Rebels of finals rugby for the first time (I don't agree with a top 8) But this year ill take it.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Makes sense for the consortium, but they will fund the "loss making" Rebels through debt, any profits being taken by the company, and if/when they want to exit (say the gov doesn't build the train line) or the consortium goes bust, then any new owners, including VRU or RA, would have to pay off the debt first.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rebels are really 2nd half heros. We've lost 5/7 first halves so far. Our 1st half points differential is -71 and our 2nd half points differential is +38.

In other terms, we've scored 73 points and let in 144 in the first half. In the 2nd half we scored 129 and let in 91.

Guess this points to our relatively weak starting XV but strong bench. Or Kevin's halftime pump ups.

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Rebels are really 2nd half heros. We've lost 5/7 first halves so far. Our 1st half points differential is -71 and our 2nd half points differential is +38.

In other terms, we've scored 73 points and let in 144 in the first half. In the 2nd half we scored 129 and let in 91.

Guess this points to our relatively weak starting XV but strong bench. Our Kevin's halftime pump ups.
What's the points differential for when Tupou is on and off the field?