• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
So, the Rebels’ excuse is that RA don’t have the AFL’s level of funding so they just had to piss away what they had… and not pay taxes?

Seems like a reasonable excuse…
The Suns or Giants would not be able to meet their financial obligations without getting 2.5 times the amount Collingwood gets from their split of the TV rights. Despite generating far less revenue for the game.

It comes down to equality v equity

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Suns or Giants would not be able to meet their financial obligations without getting 2.5 times the amount Collingwood gets from their split of the TV rights. Despite generating far less revenue for the game.

Uh, so now you’re saying the Rebels should’ve received more money from RA?

Haaaaaaaaaaaa…

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So I just read that RA didn't even attend yesterday, voted no via proxy. Shows how poorly that organisation is run, willing to kill rugby in a state that is producing Wallabies with out the balls to attend.

Say what ever you want about Rebels directors, not having a representative from RA at that meeting is completely unacceptable.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The AFL's current broadcasting deal is worth $4.5b dollars over 7 years. RA's is $100m over 3 with a 2 year option to extend which was taken making it roughly $166m over 5. Do you see the difference here and how they are able to afford it? Again some of the reasoning here astounds.

Last edited:

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So I just read that RA didn't even attend yesterday, voted no via proxy. Shows how poorly that organisation is run, willing to kill rugby in a state that is producing Wallabies with out the balls to attend.

Say what ever you want about Rebels directors, not having a representative from RA at that meeting is completely unacceptable.

Say what you will about the Rebels directors. Okay, they caused this mess. Operated a business while insolvent and now want to be bailed out while playing the victim. Demanding they get their way and then have not only the license to operate said business they so spectacularly failed operating returned but also wanting the organization they are trying to pass the blame off to, to then accept that doing so means they get to sue them for funds that at best they exaggerated their rights to. All the while being stoutly defended by a number of those that should be angriest with them. Being the fans. Because yes. RA would be one of the worst run professional sporting organisation in this country but Jesus Christ. Come on.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The AFL's current broadcasting deal is worth $4.5b dollars over 7 years. RA's is $100m over 3 with a 2 year option to extend which was taken making it roughly $166m over 5. Do you see the difference here and how they are able to afford it? Again some of the reasoning here astounds.
lol never did I say they should get the same dollar for dollar. But distributions should be scaled

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yet needed their debts bailed out.
didn’t need their debts bailed out, $600k is manageable against their assets, however their ongoing viability if they couldn’t return to profit in coming seasons was the bigger issue.

To compare to Rebels who have been trading insolvent since 2018? the Tahs currently would be the equivalent of 2017 Rebels, before they accrued a mountain of debt and unpaid creditors.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Morbidly Rebels might just a case of been the first domino to fall, rugby in Australia doesn’t have the same money it had when it committed to 5 teams in Super Rugby. That’s a sad reality. The percentage of RA revenue distributed to Super Rugby clubs is higher in years gone by, but still not enough. Using AFL as a benchmark is great, but we don’t have the money to do that without culling other programs like Women’s Ruor Sevens.

If broadcast rights are scaled down relative to the number of Super Rugby teams, I don’t know if we have enough money for even 3 or 4 teams. At which point the critical mass implodes in on itself.

Reactions: dru

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
lol never did I say they should get the same dollar for dollar. But distributions should be scaled

But the two scenarios are not the same and therefore the scale is totally different. Even if RA looked to provide the Rebels with more funds due to the scale of the levels of available funds it would not have been significant enough to turn the needle to solvency for the Rebels and frankly given the conduct of those at the helm of the club since 2018 I have serious doubts there would have used any additional funds appropriately. And we'd still be in the same position. They've lived beyond their means and now upon being found out are showing a truly delusional level of entitlement. I really cannot understand the blind faith you're displaying in these people here. They've screwed you over as much as every other Rebels fan.

AS I've said previously I want a Melbourne based Super Rugby team to remain but not in the hands of the same people that cocked it up this badly.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

Voting via a proxy or attorney is very, very common. RA would not have been the only one doing so.

Slayer!

Allen Oxlade (6)
It seems like it was already scaled in their favour…
Yes. This is EXACTLY what happened. The Administrator's report clearly showed the Rebels were getting more money than other teams.
AND that they had exceeded the salary cap for at least three years that we know of, by more than $2 million.
Criticise RA, yes - but criticise them for secretly funding a team run by Dodgy Brothers Inc...

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yes. This is EXACTLY what happened. The Administrator's report clearly showed the Rebels were getting more money than other teams.
AND that they had exceeded the salary cap for at least three years that we know of, by more than $2 million.
Criticise RA, yes - but criticise them for secretly funding a team run by Dodgy Brothers Inc...
Please tell me who we have been paying so much money to be 2 million over salary cap? Would love to know, last year our biggest name was Hodge? Surely he must have been on a million a year for the Rebels to be 2 million over

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Small column by Jamie P in the paper today where he says RA have yet to receive the official operation proposal for the Rebels from the new group.

He believes RA will squash it regardless and name the Rebels too much of a financial liability even with the new directors, relocating etc.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The “new” directors…

1714785844353.jpeg

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Small column by Jamie P in the paper today where he says RA have yet to receive the official operation proposal for the Rebels from the new group.

He believes RA will squash it regardless and name the Rebels too much of a financial liability even with the new directors, relocating etc.

Well, then I'd hope a couple of things have been happening behind the scenes. 1) conversations with NZR about covering the content gap. Ideally with a move to a double round robin season and 2) more importantly measures to maintain the pathways to professionalism for Victorian Rugby players via the continued participation in the JNRC, Super W and ideally some kind of Academy team that would play in either the Shute Shield or Hospitals Cup from 2025 onwards.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Please tell me who we have been paying so much money to be 2 million over salary cap? Would love to know, last year our biggest name was Hodge? Surely he must have been on a million a year for the Rebels to be 2 million over

I doubt it was one particular individual, more likely you were paying a premium on attracting all talent. An extra $50k per player adds up very quickly.

Top Bottom