• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2024 Under 20 Rugby Champs all match discussion thread

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Love HMP and he had a good running and passing game tonight, but his poor kicking towards the end of the match handed all momentum back to NZ. Then game.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not convinced about that YC, thought it was pretty much accidental & would've been let go had the injury not occurred & the injured player not subsequently been landed on.

Great game, hopefully this comp becomes an annual event.

Last edited:

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
How did Aussie get penalised for not rolling away after being tip tackled into a ruck. Should have been an Aussie penalty

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
How did Aussie get penalised for not rolling away after being tip tackled into a ruck. Should have been an Aussie penalty
I wondered about that too Shiggins, but wondered about a lot of decisions he made. Still ,I believe they were trying to give young refs experience etc, and like the players showed their inexperience, so to maybe the ref?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Ref was a bit over the shop. Quite telling that after two scrum penalties against us for hingeing, when he decided to have a look at our LH and their TH side the scrum stayed stable and the JWs put on a shove that sent the JABs about 10m backwards.

And not only here, but I am always bemused when a rolling maul gets up to 10m or more progress and then abruptly stops and goes to ground about a couple of metres out from the goal line, without a penalty.

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
Ref was a bit over the shop. Quite telling that after two scrum penalties against us for hingeing, when he decided to have a look at our LH and their TH side the scrum stayed stable and the JWs put on a shove that sent the JABs about 10m backwards.

And not only here, but I am always bemused when a rolling maul gets up to 10m or more progress and then abruptly stops and goes to ground about a couple of metres out from the goal line, without a penalty.

Quite telling how badly the replacement front row went for the Wallabies. Will you now acknowledge the difference in quality to that of the run on props?
Very disappointing our replacements couldn’t lift and ice it with a man up. No go forward and demolished in the scrum.

Love2Scrum

Darby Loudon (17)
What a game of Rugby with a few questionable penalties either way but thats rugby or sports in general.

It was anybodies game however IMO, the JAB’s bench made a massive impact on the last 15-20 minutes and that was the difference with size, strength, speed & skills across the park.

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
What a game of Rugby with a few questionable penalties either way but thats rugby or sports in general.

It was anybodies game however IMO, the JAB’s bench made a massive impact on the last 15-20 minutes and that was the difference with size, strength, speed & skills across the park.

When any Australian team gets back to our DNA of running the ball, we’re always at our best.
Def the ABs were the better team, their first yellow card was an atrocious decision and the second 50/50 at best.
I def think our replacements were totally outmatched by the ABs.
All the same great tournament when the winner was still up in the air with 7 minutes to go after more than 470+ across 4 teams.

Well done to all the young men across the 4 teams. Bring on the WC

Neo

Peter Burge (5)
The 10 almost won us the game and then cost us the game with a couple of poor kicks in a row. NZ dominated possession for the last 10 with 14 on the park. Their forward subs got the job done.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I agree with the sentiments how good the tournament was for the young fellas. Experience playing at that level is invaluable, and although I didn't think to myself any players looked real stars etc, they all (from all teams) to be of pretty good quality, and bodes well for all 4 countries going forward.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought the kiwis won it early through the domination they had in the forwards. They made ground almost at will.

And then some aimless kicking out wide by us. We’d have a bit of space and then hack it infield for some reason - back to where the kiwis could counter attack from. The 9 did it and the wingers. I think both our wingers were found out a little in defence.

Still a promising effort. If the pack had been a little more aggressive as they were v the Boks it may have been a different story. But plenty of positives still.

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought the kiwis won it early through the domination they had in the forwards. They made ground almost at will.

And then some aimless kicking out wide by us. We’d have a bit of space and then hack it infield for some reason - back to where the kiwis could counter attack from. The 9 did it and the wingers. I think both our wingers were found out a little in defence.

Still a promising effort. If the pack had been a little more aggressive as they were v the Boks it may have been a different story. But plenty of positives still.
That would seem like a strange statement given with 10 minutes to go, there was 1 point separating the teams!