• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Considering how suspect Kellaway is at defending at 15, there is a very real possibility we could see both Gordon and Donaldson on the field at the same time.
Much prefer players be selected in their Super Rugby roles myself.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I dont understand how the fly half from the team that’s running third last can be the favorite to start? He's hardly standing out in any metric beyond place kicking.
His and CGs goal kicking is worse than average for the season. I think they are around 60%. Noah Lolesio is around 90%.
Donaldson was 100% yesterday but when not under pressure.
Lolesio gets the gig but who is the understudy?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Considering how suspect Kellaway is at defending at 15, there is a very real possibility we could see both Gordon and Donaldson on the field at the same time.
I think that is a possibility due to Gordon's ability to cover centre and maybe FB. Who the starting 10 will be I have no idea out of the pot. Anyway not long now and we will know the squad.

Does anyone know the announcement date?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
His and CGs goal kicking is worse than average for the season. I think they are around 60%. Noah Lolesio is around 90%.
I wonder if Debrezini will come into the mix?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think that is a possibility due to Gordon's ability to cover centre and maybe FB. Who the starting 10 will be I have no idea out of the pot. Anyway not long now and we will know the squad.

Does anyone know the announcement date?

What is Gordon’s ability to cover centre? Has he played there? I think at Jnr Wallaby level when he played with Pasitoa it was the latter that moved to 12.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gordon (imo by a mile)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Every 15 looks "suspect" in defence at numerous times in their careers, it comes with the role
When you notice a 15 have to try and make multiple try savers it leads to questions about the defence in front of him. Iv'e seen Wright look to almost avoid having to make a cover tackle.

In regards to Carter at Centre or Fullback. If it's to start, we are cooked. I can see him being a valuable bench player as he can cover it if needed but also brig a lot of energy to field for the last 20.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
When you notice a 15 have to try and make multiple try savers it leads to questions about the defence in front of him. Iv'e seen Wright look to almost avoid having to make a cover tackle.

In regards to Carter at Centre or Fullback. If it's to start, we are cooked. I can see him being a valuable bench player as he can cover it if needed but also brig a lot of energy to field for the last 20.
Exactly Ghost, He covers a fair bit from the bench and as such I think he will be there. Amazed anyone here thought of him as a starting 12/13/15 player!!!
Also his D is the best of the possibles.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I still see Foketi/Kerevi at 12, Ikitau 13, Kellaway 15. I don't think the backs apart from 10 will have any shocks, unlikely but he might pick one of Toole or Ryan as a flyer, maybe not in the first test with Schmidt as coach. The forwards will be where the surprises and the interest for me will lie.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
All three of Lolesio, Donaldson and Gordon will be in the squad. It's too early for Lynagh (and I say that as a Reds fan who rates him highly) and as others have mentioned Edmed isn't up to it and Harrison is going overseas and has only just come back from Injury. Personally I'd be starting Lolesio as I think he's been the most consistent 10 this season and his goal kicking ability is vital, and I'd be bringing Gordon off the bench. His goal kicking worries me but his ability to put players in space and attack the line could be a real weapon in the final 30 of a test match, plus as others have mentioned he can cover 12 and probably 15 at a pinch. I wouldn't hate it if Donaldson is given the 10 jersey, but for me it makes more sense to play him against Georgia and have him as backup if either Lolesio or Gordon get injured.

One bonus that I don't think has been brought up yet - White will definitely be either starting at 9 or will be on the bench. From a cohesion perspective, that's great for our young 10's considering how long he played with Lolesio at the Brumbies and how well his combination with Donaldson at the Force has gone this year.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I think Schmidt should be considering Bailey Kuenzle for a squad position, has been playing very well and can pretty much cover anywhere from 10-14. Sold defender, could do a lot worse.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
I think Schmidt should be considering Bailey Kuenzle for a squad position, has been playing very well and can pretty much cover anywhere from 10-14. Sold defender, could do a lot worse.
Not a bad shout. Wouldn't shock me if Tizzano is brought in as the backup 7 as well.