• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2024

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Great to hear a big and vocal crowd at Gordon. It wasnt so long ago they could barely field 1 colts team and a couple of grades. The comp needs a strong Gordon.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
“Bad luck” Are you serious? Playing against a team that had yet to win a game, home ground advantage, penalty count advantage, & West Harbour had 2 yellow cards in the final stages of the game. Come on.
I think the bad luck was more about players understanding how to manage that situation. Tom Goddard and Harry Snook are both quality players, and Josh Hickey is great off the bench. I wonder if they had the strong voice guiding and directing play. An old head.
They will learn from it and build.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I think the bad luck was more about players understanding how to manage that situation. Tom Goddard and Harry Snook are both quality players, and Josh Hickey is great off the bench. I wonder if they had the strong voice guiding and directing play. An old head.
They will learn from it and build.
I don't agree that that constitutes "bad luck" Team selection comes down to team management. Eastwood have 2 very experienced halves
in their second grade side , who could have been selected in first grade.The same applies to West Harbour.
The "player of the match", Wests Hunter Hanford, was a colt last year, but stood out yesterday.
Was that just "good luck" or was it something to do with his ability?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
I don't agree that that constitutes "bad luck" Team selection comes down to team management. Eastwood have 2 very experienced halves
in their second grade side , who could have been selected in first grade.The same applies to West Harbour.
The "player of the match", Wests Hunter Hanford, was a colt last year, but stood out yesterday.
Was that just "good luck" or was it something to do with his ability?
Hannaford was excellent. And so was Drew Sellers who played a huge role in running West Harbour.
I have HH a huge wrap on FB

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
Easts doing what Easts do. Load up but underperform.

Gordon doing some nice things the last few weeks.
I was such a huge fan of how easts started and with all their professionals playing, when in reality, looks like no teddy wilson, no easts

I was also rating Manly, but not sure whats happened to them last few weeks, even vs souths they seemed average. they'll win again this week again but i think it will be an ugly win, but i suppose you need those wins.

gordon beating everyone now!

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Long way to go with only a third of the rounds completed.
Competition is tight and with the wet weather it has also been a real leveller.
Randwick and Easts will benefit with the influx of Super Rugby players in 4 weeks.
Not sure that is always a good thing especially for Easts but may be different under Batger.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What are the chances some of the Super Rugby players that are leaving after the season don't turn out for Shute Shield though? Wilson, Tuipoltu go overseas early? They are the sides paying their bills once the Tahs are finished.

Easts change if Teddy Wilson is there but if he stays with the 7s all year it's a big drop off.

Last edited:

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
What are the chances some of the Super Rugby players that are leaving after the season don't turn out for Shute Shield though? Wilson, Tuipoltu go overseas early? They are the sides paying their bills once the Tahs are finished.

Easts change if Teddy Wilson is there but if he stays with the 7s all year it's a big drop off.
RA contracts are Nov-Oct no? There will probably be some early release negotiated to get some wages off the books, but by default that's the Australian contracting period and hence they should be available for club stuff barring injury/surgery or National duties.

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
RA contracts are Nov-Oct no? There will probably be some early release negotiated to get some wages off the books, but by default that's the Australian contracting period and hence they should be available for club stuff barring injury/surgery or National duties.
GB pre=season normally starts in July/August so I would say those players going abroad will leave just before finals even if they do play,
but imagine they have these 2-3 year overseas contracts and then get injured during shute shield - big risk to take. seems to be a mass exodus from tahs to overseas, will be interesting to see who stays and plays shute.

i think Uni will benefit the most, i think they have a fair few pro's but who arent going to be in the wallabies and they will filter in. randwick will get stronger, then id imagine a few teams will have a fair few rebels players.

then there are some teams that wont get any super rugby players and they will be the ones who unfortunately fall away

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Uni have a chance to get a lot of squad-fringe squad guys back. Anyone know if players are required to play in the WA comp if they are with the Force? O'Donnell played for Norths earlier in the year and Leahy with Uni. If Uni picks up Leahy, Hancock, Poolman, Horton, Robertson and others like Talakai they become a problem. Norths would want Burey and O'Donnell for sure.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
then there are some teams that wont get any super rugby players and they will be the ones who unfortunately fall away
The team currently on top of the table will not get any SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) players - I think they will still be in the mix at the pointy end of the season.

Doesn't always work to make wholesale changes to a team that has been functioning well - regardless how good the stars are.

Saying that UNI seem to get away with it more often than not - but maybe they wont be in the 6 this year

LostProp

Frank Row (1)
In the Shute shield line ups this week on FB manly have Harry Fry listed as coach. Where’s Chris Delooze? Hopefully nothing bad, seems like he’s got manly going well.

Top Bottom