• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Every fucking day I read this message. It's because we don't have a recognized kicker in any other position (except maybe Ryan Lonergan).
We have had three coaches and still no alternate kickers to show for it, were they all stupid or are there no other players who can kick? It is a skill not some magic.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
He’s still in the top 3 halfbacks in the country.

His core halfback skills are underrated (ask Dave Rennie) but what sets him apart are his effort plays. He’s constantly leading the defensive line, kick chases and is the best supporting player in AUS rugby.
Maybe the only one!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You must have watched a different game against the Reds than I did.

Apparently, we all did…

LevitatingSocks

Ward Prentice (10)
You’re arguing over right Wright but no one is batting an eyelid over a proposed White/ Donaldson combination. Whites the guy who has disappointed over a decade and box kicked the ball away- we Have other options.
Donaldson isn't that egregious of a pick given the competition.

White would be great on a slow-paced team that runs off the 9, has a forward pack that dominates set pieces, and tall backs that are comfortable in the air. The Wallabies in their current form are not that team. Tate Mcdermott or someone else that reliably delivers a quick ball is a better fit.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Go and check the ladder again. Being shit has not stopped waratahs players getting picked for the wallabies the past few years
I'm certainly not advocating for too many Waratahs to be in the 23 this year, and I doubt there will be any uncapped players selected. However, their position on the ladder this season needs to be kept into perspective given the horror run of 11 front row injuries, as many have said no team is going to perform well under those circumstances. Assuming they are fit I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of their capped Wallabies to be in the initial squad so that Schmidt can get a look at them in that environment:
Bell
Hanigan
Swinton
Holloway
Gordon
Foketi
Perese
Nawaqanatawase

Joey Walton probably the only one outside those who might get a call up due to the lack of depth in the current fit & eligible centres options. I think maybe 3 of those in total will end up in the 23.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
You’re arguing over right Wright but no one is batting an eyelid over a proposed White/ Donaldson combination. Whites the guy who has disappointed over a decade and box kicked the ball away- we Have other options.
Doesn't play for the Brumbies anymore :) makes it much more palatable for Tah's and Reds fans to select him (joking all)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm certainly not advocating for too many Waratahs to be in the 23 this year, and I doubt there will be any uncapped players selected. However, their position on the ladder this season needs to be kept into perspective given the horror run of 11 front row injuries, as many have said no team is going to perform well under those circumstances. Assuming they are fit I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of their capped Wallabies to be in the initial squad so that Schmidt can get a look at them in that environment:
Bell
Hanigan
Swinton
Holloway
Gordon
Foketi
Perese
Nawaqanatawase

Joey Walton probably the only one outside those who might get a call up due to the lack of depth in the current fit & eligible centres options. I think maybe 3 of those in total will end up in the 23.

Bell's probably the only player in Oz, I'd select who's coming straight back from injury.
I think Hanigan / Swinton / Holloway might battle for one or 2 positions
Gordon, not sure he'll get there, probably battling Lonergan as 3rd SH
Foketi, probably as 12 is short.
Perese, to be honest, would be behind Lenny, Flook and Walton
Nawaqanatawase - I'm not sure what to do with him since he's leaving, but if his form stays good, he'll be in, I think.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Perese also leaving and I don't think he's good enough to be considered for future overseas picks. If Mark gets in form then I pick him in the squad to even maintain good relationships if he wants to come back. Don't burn the bloke like League want to for about 5mins when someone leaves.

Between Ikitau, Paisami, Foketi, Flook and even Kellaway we do have Centres for this season. Daugunu has looked good in spurts at 13 but I think he becomes a target for good sides in Defence.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Perese also leaving and I don't think he's good enough to be considered for future overseas picks. If Mark gets in form then I pick him in the squad to even maintain good relationships if he wants to come back. Don't burn the bloke like League want to for about 5mins when someone leaves.

Between Ikitau, Paisami, Foketi, Flook and even Kellaway we do have Centres for this season. Daugunu has looked good in spurts at 13 but I think he becomes a target for good sides in Defence.
I think Daugunu is a solid chance to feature in the 23 jersey, seen as a wing first covering 13. Either way I think he's looking pretty good for a place in the squad. There have been a few wing injuries recently reducing the options and I'm not convinced by Nawaqanitawase's form enough to pick him when he's leaving the game. He still has room to turn that around, but not much. It'd be a different story if he was either killing it or just heading to Europe, but he's not playing well enough to bother with right now.

There's every chance another injury or two changes the picture significantly in the final rounds though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We have had three coaches and still no alternate kickers to show for it, were they all stupid or are there no other players who can kick? It is a skill not some magic.

Do you really think that someone who has had little or no professional goal kicking experience can become a test level goal kicker with a little bit of coaching and practice?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am quite confident White's box kicking was within the game plan and a box kick will be within the new coaches game plan as well

Hopefully with a better focus on the chase and contestability

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Do you really think that someone who has had little or no professional goal kicking experience can become a test level goal kicker with a little bit of coaching and practice?
NO! but many should have been put on kicking training if they showed some history or potential. We are in a tough position with kickers and nothing appears to have been done to give us some options. Several thousand kicks at goal from all over the pitch and most with talent will improve.
Even Shute Shield has some decent kickers - NO not suggesting dragging one out of there. The talent must be within 23 players so that we can build alternate kickers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
NO! but many should have been put on kicking training if they showed some history or potential. We are in a tough position with kickers and nothing appears to have been done to give us some options. Several thousand kicks at goal from all over the pitch and most with talent will improve.
Even Shute Shield has some decent kickers - NO not suggesting dragging one out of there. The talent must be within 23 players so that we can build alternate kickers.

We have a goal kicking problem with Carter Gordon. All the other 10 options are fine.

For pretty much every other player their time can be better spent training something else that will have a greater impact on their play as a rugby player.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Schmidt very much expressed how he values player to player coaching, using Johnny Sexton as an example. Bringing in the young guys behind the experienced. C.Gordon expressed how much value he got from Quade in camp.

Schmidt IMO is likely to start with a broad squad and will lean towards bringing in experienced operators in key areas to ensure good player to player coaching, even if that experienced player is 'lower' in the form ranks. Beale clearly offers great value as a foil/support for Donaldson, and I'm sure this is just as visible, if not more so, off the field and on the training paddock, as it is on matchday.

Therefore I do see Beale being selected into camp, potentially even JOC (James O'Connor) in lieu of foreign based players, also guys strong in the set piece, like Holloway, Neville, Talakai, Hanigan etc. What IP can be squeezed out before they retire/depart and what value can they contribute towards the overall development of younger players doing well at Super Rugby, but may not have the nous to make the right decisions at International level.