• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Surely a club with 4 teams, decent coaches and a half decent club house would go well in subbies without the need to pay players.

Depends what those players can make in the local Rugby league clubs. Maybe they can play both like a few guys of here already do

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Bill Watson (15)
I'd love to grow the Renegades into a competitive 3rd division side with the addition of a Colts team. That is probably achievable within a few years with a lot of hard work to get the U21 program off the ground (so close this year!)

The step up to 2nd division requires much more in terms of financial backing and personnel.

Still, Powerball is $100M this week ... Might be able to convince the Eels to put a grandstand on the Field of Dreams ;)
How come you guys took Rouse Hill out of your name?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That's the first point.

Next, the amateur rules aren't compatible with rebuilding a team for Premier Rugby.

Third, they're just up the road from a very successful Blue Mountains operation. And a few of their players from last year are at other clubs out this way.

Lastly: nobody has been promoted to Premier Rugby from Subbies Rugby in the current format.

So what is the plan?

Who knows. But what should be the plan is to rebuild the club from the ground up with a focus on building a junior/women's section.

CrashBandicoot

Frank Row (1)
Haven't played in Rouse Hill since 2008. At one point we were considering moving out of the area altogether.

Kellyville Renegades doesn't have the same ring. Still looking for alternatives.
Somerville is technically in Eastwood, the rams name change could bring some confused players down.
Bring back Rouse Hill

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 1

Mosman vs Colleagues: Whales have had a strong start and expect it will continue with a good win over Colleagues at home. Whales by 10

Lindfield vs Hunters: Old soldier will need a miracle here to keep HH from registering their first victory of the year. HH by 13+

Drummoyne vs Waverley: MOTR This should be a cracker as both clubs look to restart their rain effected campaigns, going to go with the away side to snatch a rare victory at Drummoyne oval. Waves by 7

Forest vs Blue Mountains: Yikes, this could get ugly, the big mountain men to ride rough shot with a 20+ win off the back of a dominate scrum.

Div 3:

Sydney Irish vs. Knox:
Potentially the clash of the round, Irish looking well up for the rigors of division 3, and at home. Knox started last year slow also before finding form later in the year, though will be boosted by the return of L Scott at Hooker. Irish by 7.

Sydney Harbour vs. Lane Cove Old Ignations:
Suspect Harbour will bounce back from an unexpected wet weather away drubbing from the Merrylands lads and right the ship this week aganst the joint venture. Harbour by 14.

Hawkesbury Valley vs. Merrylands:
Valley finding form with playing stocks returning and wildly playing their fifth straight home game of the year, but Merrylands have proven rock solid up in Div 3 also this year. Will take Merrylands by 3 in a close one.

Old Barker vs. Sydney Harlequins:
Very worrying signs for the Barker boys to start the year with a forfeit and two drubbings in three weeks, will be surprised if this is anything but a tune up game for the men from Waterloo. Quins by 21.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sydney Harbour vs. Lane Cove Old Ignations: Suspect Harbour will bounce back from an unexpected wet weather away drubbing from the Merrylands lads and right the ship this week aganst the joint venture. Harbour by 14.

Technically Harbour's last outing was Saturday where they pipped Valley by a try, replaying their rained out wet weather from Round 2.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2

Which clubs have been able to keep their player groups focussed during this wet spell. We find out this weekend!

Petersham v Hills: Petersham should be fresh! They have only played 2 games so far with a 1st rd win over comp favourites St Pats before going down to Briars. Hills 2 first up miracle come backs seem a distant memory after losses to Newport and St Pats. Will go with the Shammies at home as think Hills may struggle from here on in. Shammies by 14

Briars vs Beecroft: This has all the makings of a really good game. If Beecroft travel well I think their forwards will dominate. But from what I saw from Briars last week they have some very nippy and elusive backs. On a dry track I think they will have too much for Beecroft out wide in what should be a high scoring and entertaining game. Briars by 10

St Pats vs UNSW: MOTR UNSW 0-3 and need to win to keep their season alive. St Pats flying high and looking to lock in crucial CC points on their journey back to Div 1. This should be close, but I think St Pats at home will just have the edge. UNSW will throw everything at them but Pats by 3 for me.

Newport vs Epping: The 1st grade team will enjoy being on the cans for the weekend watching their lower grade colleagues try and keep the unbeaten dream alive.

Bismarck12345

Stan Wickham (3)
Div 2

Which clubs have been able to keep their player groups focussed during this wet spell. We find out this weekend!

Petersham v Hills: Petersham should be fresh! They have only played 2 games so far with a 1st rd win over comp favourites St Pats before going down to Briars. Hills 2 first up miracle come backs seem a distant memory after losses to Newport and St Pats. Will go with the Shammies at home as think Hills may struggle from here on in. Shammies by 14

Briars vs Beecroft: This has all the makings of a really good game. If Beecroft travel well I think their forwards will dominate. But from what I saw from Briars last week they have some very nippy and elusive backs. On a dry track I think they will have too much for Beecroft out wide in what should be a high scoring and entertaining game. Briars by 10

St Pats vs UNSW: MOTR UNSW 0-3 and need to win to keep their season alive. St Pats flying high and looking to lock in crucial CC points on their journey back to Div 1. This should be close, but I think St Pats at home will just have the edge. UNSW will throw everything at them but Pats by 3 for me.

Newport vs Epping: The 1st grade team will enjoy being on the cans for the weekend watching their lower grade colleagues try and keep the unbeaten dream alive.
Do you see the potential for any upsets this week or as the season goes on? I know UNSW are looking weak but they’re usually in it right at the top. That plus all of the other teams having wins is leaving the competition as competitive as I’ve ever seen it.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Do you see the potential for any upsets this week or as the season goes on? I know UNSW are looking weak but they’re usually in it right at the top. That plus all of the other teams having wins is leaving the competition as competitive as I’ve ever seen it.
UNSW have it in them to win this weekend.
UNSW are a good side. Don’t really know what happened to them against Beecroft but they are capable of beating St Pats.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 4
Renegades
v Wakehurst - backing the lads to get it done at home. Wakehurst have had 2 weeks off and some rough weeks prior to that.

Kings v Canterbury - I think Kings have got enough cohesion and quality to edge them out.

Redfield v Hornsby - it is frankly weird to see Redfield with no wins on the board and against the Hornsby juggernaut I expect this to continue, tho it might be closer than everyone expects.

Raptors v Chatswood - bit of a resurgence at Mittigar this year, with a few guys fronting up from other clubs to bolster their numbers. Chatswood will throw everything at them but it is a tough place to win.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Div 1

Mosman vs Colleagues: Whales have been good, Colleagues a mixed bag, although I can see Colleagues getting up for this and taking a W across the harbour. Colleagues by 3

Lindfield vs HH: Lindfield will have adjusted their style from the last game where they looked like no one wanted to defend. This will be a good game for 70 minutes with HH pulling away late with some X factor being the difference. HH by 10

Drummoyne vs
Waverley: This should be a great game, Drummoyne have a good side and a bit of unpredictability in their game. This will be a stark contrast to Waverley, who are very well structured. Drummoyne to win this late by 1

Forest vs Blue Mountains: Mountains will do a job here. Forest are a better side than the last few years, but I just cant see anyone sticking with Mountains when they have their full side. The juggernaut will keep rolling. Blueys by 23

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And as it’s a Saturday of course it’s going to rain. FFS.
You need to get away from the coast mate ;)

Forecast rain for the Field of Dreams tomorrow. Brisket will be one and the boys are ready to rumble

Screenshot_20240517-144900.png

Last edited: