• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RL and RU

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I played both codes and enjoyed Union much more, but I also played everything from Wing/Fullback to Prop (Big kid who could kick and run!) now I just a fat bastard who loves props and scrums. Union for me is a battle for the full game, League fans say there is too much down time in union with all the kicks and re setting of scrums. I disagree with this, since it became illegal in League to play at the ball at each play the ball the game is essentially stopped between when the referee calls held and when the dummy half touches the ball. If you add up the 350 or so tackles per game there is much more lost time in League.

Union is supreme because it is a contest ALL of the time. Once you are tackled you are fighting for the ball, in the scrum you are fighting for the ball. League is one dimensional. I think a high level union game is streets ahead of a high class league game. Unfortunately Union gets a bad name with games like the Baa Baas game this year. I think if every child in Australi was shown the Reds v Bulls S14 game from this year then Union would dominate in Australia.

I only watch Rabbitohs games in League, and this is usually taped so I can fast forward through it, as for union, I try to watch a minimum of 4 games a week but try for every game

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
It is not that I hate League. I just feel a little sorry for them.

As a sport I find it particularly tedious as it is very one dimensional, and in many instances as boring as batshit to watch, even the hyped up games of SOO and grand final. Internationals are a joke, and apart from a thin strip of northern pommieland, and south auckland, the game appears to be restricted to NSW and QLD, with little chance of expanding beyond that footprint.

There are lots of people around me who like league, and good on then. There are also lots of people around me who eat MacDonalds, and dress in flannels and trackie daks, and worship VB Beer, Bundy rum, and V8 holdens. Personally I would rather a proper meal with a nice wine - a good coonawarra red or an upper hunter white.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I would rather a proper meal with a nice wine - a good Coonawarra red or an Upper Hunter white.

Like your style, TT. You and I are going to get on well. Have you checked the wine thread in the Everything Else section?

For me league has now become very predictable. I paraphrase RL play as "biff, bash, barge, pass, run, kick". Once a team went "barge, bash, biff, run, pass, kick". I was astonished, the variety quite amazed me.

R

rugbyrules

RL is a fantastic game which is very hard and great to play as is RU,both sports are great and I wish one day both codes will come as one again.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
I am glad that you like league. Whatever tickles your fancy.

Many over here find it tedious.

Happy to see codes merge but...... not if the mungoball culture comes as part of the package.

Wallabies would be awesome team in a one Rugby code Australia, if all mungoballers current and future had grown up in a Union environment, as happens in NZ to a degree and Safferland

R

rugbyrules

I am glad that you like league. Whatever tickles your fancy.

Many over here find it tedious.

Happy to see codes merge but...... not if the mungoball culture comes as part of the package.

Wallabies would be awesome team in a one Rugby code Australia, if all mungoballers current and future had grown up in a Union environment, as happens in NZ to a degree and Safferland

If many find it tedious how come RL in Australia is far bigger than RU

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
(Wheeling out the anti-soccer quote from The Fitz Files)

"Just because it's the most popular doesn't make it the best; rice is the most popular food in the world..."

M

mattyj

I grew up in the shadows of Shark Park, in the sunny Sutherland Shire back in the 80's. When I was 4, I became a loyal (but continually heartbroken) Sharks fan. Andrew Ettingshausen became my hero of the 80's and 90's. I have a really fond memory of running up and down the hallway with my plastic football, scoring tries at both ends, imagining myself as the great ET.

There were some great years for the Sharks in the 90's, particularly with guys like Mat Rogers and David Peachey.

In the late 90's, early 00'ies a few things happened:
- Tiann Strauss moved to australia, and played league with the Sharks, before moving to the Tahs and Wallabies. He also started going to the Church I was a part of, and he was a super nice guy. As an 18 year old, he was a great guy to look up to.
- Mat Rogers and Lote Tuqiri moved to Union, and my interest grew.
- 1999 World Cup.

Those things, plus a successful Bledisloe somewhere in there, and I'm now a Union fan as well. I stubmled across GoTheTahs.com a few years back, and got heaps into the Tahs.

Since that time, I think League has gone downhill. I hate how the game is run by News Ltd, and how they own a few super-successful teams, it just seems so corrupt. This year has really pissed me off with the Melbourne Storm Salary Cap rorts becoming public, and there's virtually no doubt that other News Ltd teams (Broncos) are in on the rorts as well.

Sadly, Union has struggled a bit in recent times too. The current Wallaby team - to my untrained eyes - offers more hope than any time in the last 3-4 years or so, but it's been a bit lean, hey.

So I'm a frustrated league fan who is only interested in the Sharks when they're winning (it's too depressing any other way), and a curious Union fan who has great memories of the past and is looking forward with hope. I'm pissed off with the NH style of play; I enjoy a few tries being scored.

One observation I've had:
League is like Checkers. All the pieces are the same, there's not a whole lot of depth when it comes to strategy. All fast-paced action with not a lot of substance.
Union is like Chess. All the pieces are different, and have unique roles. A much more refined game. A lot more thought goes into strategy. The action can be fast-paced, but sometimes the game seems slow and uneventful. Only true fans know the real beauty of the game

M

mattyj

haha, I actually played 1 season in 2007. It was like a thing to tick off the list before I became a Dad. Being a touch footy player, I never really got used to contact, but hey, I had fun!

I've now got a 3yo girl and a 6 month old boy, so yeah, life's sweet at the moment! No money or time to play any more though.

R

Raptor

both codes have their pros and cons. i personally prefer union however remember this is a union site so everyone is going to be pro union and some against league. likewise if you went on a league site then they would be pro league and probably against union. i have friends who are pro league and against union but generally their argument is always stupid and i wonder if they actually watch either game. everyone is entitled to what they prefer and i think some people get a bit defensive sometimes when it comes to these two codes in particular. its all sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.