• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Greater Western Sydney AFL

• Thread starter Sydney Wallabies
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sydney Wallabies

Gws afl

I am not sure if many of us support or watch AFL.

With the impending arrival of Team GWS into the AFL.

Will you go to any GWS games?

I have been thinking about all this talk from Kevin Sheedy and his cronies about muscling in on the NRL.

I seriously think they've forgotten about rugby here.

Does GWS harm the future of rugby in NSW?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
it seems to me from recent developments that they're not actually targeting the nrl demographic but the rugby demographic. they've recently said they're going to target the people from the hills and northern districts and they have their players living in concord, as well as moving their stadium from blacktown to homebush (for another bunch of grant money). i literally think they're trying to dark horse ruggers and get a bunch of publicity through the nrl.

S

Sydney Wallabies

it seems to me from recent developments that they're not actually targeting the nrl demographic but the rugby demographic. they've recently said they're going to target the people from the hills and northern districts and they have their players living in concord, as well as moving their stadium from blacktown to homebush (for another bunch of grant money). i literally think they're trying to dark horse ruggers and get a bunch of publicity through the nrl.

That's what I think as well actually.

I keep hearing things from AFL fans that GWS will give kids another sporting option that don't have the body shape for league.

I would've thought that's where rugby comes into the picture.

I've got this serious concern that they're trying to kill off rugby.

If I were a Eastwood or West Harbour fan I'd have serious concerns about the affect that GWS will have on rugby in the area.

C

chief

I have beef with the AFL. Apparently they are building a new stadium for the team around the corner from ANZ Stadium. I must question whether this is neccessary, as ANZ Stadium was designed for this game, what's the point of having it as a circular stadium if they have their own stadium 400 metres away. Seems a waste of tax payers $$$.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
well, they're actually hijacking the new sydney showground. also the blacktown stadium was also built for them too

S

Sydney Wallabies

I have beef with the AFL. Apparently they are building a new stadium for the team around the corner from ANZ Stadium. I must question whether this is neccessary, as ANZ Stadium was designed for this game, what's the point of having it as a circular stadium if they have their own stadium 400 metres away. Seems a waste of tax payers $$$.

well, they're actually hijacking the new sydney showground. also the blacktown stadium was also built for them too

Yeah it seems they want to hijack Western Sydney instead of co-operating with the other codes like rugby and NRL.

It's a joke that they seem to think they are marching in on NRL territory.

The areas they seem to be focusing on is rugby territory.

If they were targeting the Parramatta and Penrith areas that is league territory but the Concord and Hills District areas are rugby territories.

If I were you RF, I'd be bloody pissed off with GWS and wouldn't have anything to do with them.

I'd encourage all Eastwood and West Harbour fans to do the same.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I think it is right for both Rugby and League to be nervous as the AFL moves in. The truth is that the AFL has spent a long time being the best managed and marketed football code in Australia and therefore has massive resources to throw into any new venture it undertakes. Though they may not say it, the AFL is not coming into the Gold Coast or Western Sydney to co-operate. They are coming in to try and take over, however they are realistic about what their success will look like. If they can establish new teams as successful as the Brisbane Lions and the Sydney Swans they will be happy. However they also know how long it took to establish those clubs in hostile territory. They are in for the long haul and will sink more money in than the other codes can afford to match in order to get the kids playing aussie rules.

I'd say the reason that they won't be using ANZ stadium is the AFL are smart about showcasing their product and they know that large empty stadiums suck atmosphere. Blacktown will probably be too small for alot of games, so they need something in the 20-25k seat range.

Rugby should be focusing on trying to pinch one of the top execs from the AFL to run the code. It is no mistake that soccer has recently poached Ben Buckley from the AFL to run their show. Whether he does better than JON is yet to be seen. These guys are the best at managing football codes in the country. Consider the AFL states make up about 45% of the population, but they can command TV rights approximately 50% higher than the NRL which is supposedly a mde for TV product. The VRU recently appointed Ross Oakley president. He was in charge of the AFL when they went from a state to a national competition. It was a smart move to get in a guy who knows about building market share in 'enemy territory'. Maybe he should be considered for higher honours after JON goes.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As much as I don't like it, I guess they're here to stay. They're the bigger player, with much bigger resources in terms of money and manpower. They are, however, coming into 'enemy territory' and if they don't do it right then there's opportunity to send them packing and make sure they don't try it again for a long, long time.

It might be drawing a long bow, but look at the US in Vietnam/Iraq/Afghanistan or similar. To be successful we have to fight a guerilla war that is grass roots based and wins the 'hearts and minds'. How exactly we do it I don't know but this is the kind of place to start figuring out what can be done and here's hoping the ARU hasn't been caught napping and wants to hold onto what it has as well.

So, bring on the ideas!

S

Sydney Wallabies

As much as I don't like it, I guess they're here to stay. They're the bigger player, with much bigger resources in terms of money and manpower. They are, however, coming into 'enemy territory' and if they don't do it right then there's opportunity to send them packing and make sure they don't try it again for a long, long time.

It might be drawing a long bow, but look at the US in Vietnam/Iraq/Afghanistan or similar. To be successful we have to fight a guerilla war that is grass roots based and wins the 'hearts and minds'. How exactly we do it I don't know but this is the kind of place to start figuring out what can be done and here's hoping the ARU hasn't been caught napping and wants to hold onto what it has as well.

So, bring on the ideas!

That's actually a brilliant idea, mate.

An ideas thread for improvements on the game is brilliant.

R

rugbyrules

Aerial ping pong is the poorest excuse for a sport,it will have a bit of an impact but nothing more.
The likes of Folau and Hunt signing for the AFL in the long term will do nothing for that abomination of a sport.

R

Raptor

Aerial ping pong is the poorest excuse for a sport,it will have a bit of an impact but nothing more.
The likes of Folau and Hunt signing for the AFL in the long term will do nothing for that abomination of a sport.

the clever thing they have done with that though is attract attention. even if folau is a flop he wills till earn his keep in ticket sales, tv deals etc. kevin sheedy actually mentioned that before a ball is kicked folau will have earnt back what they pay him for his first year. ill admit that having bought these players it has certainly caught my attention as a rugby supporter. i wont pay any money to go or buy any merchandise but i will be interested to see how they fair. i will at least watch a game or two. i think its more a publicity thing then anything and it seems to be working. the nrl is ropeable and any fringe supporters will be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.