• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for Australian Rugby Union

• Thread starter Sydney Wallabies
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Second row

Picking up on that thought, boosting the number of female players would knock on to playing/ex-playing mums being happy to let their little guys (and girls) start playing. My missus plays and was insistent that our lad started out in U7 as soon as he could and already has our 15 month little girl throwing the ball to us.

Definitely get women involved. It's mums who have the final say on whether their little Johnny or Jane plays and too many think it's too tough and sign them up for soccer... If they're playing, they are more familiar with it and more willing to let their kids play too. Besides, if you saw Nicole beck's hit on that pommy chick on the Rugby Club tonight, you know the girls can play hard! :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In the Randwick Junior Rugby Under 6's competition this year, The South Coogee Club (The Red Devils) had an entirely female team called the "Pink Devils".

I've seen the odd girl playing rugby with the boys, but never an entire team. The girls seemed to enjoy their footy, and they scored lots of tries.

You go girls.

S

Sydney Wallabies

Conspire with the IRB, NZRU and English RU to kill off rugby league once and for all.

That wasn't the idea when I started this thread Bowside.

If we're going to kill off any sport it should be the AFL.

League isn't the enemy here anymore.

It is the AFL.

GWS and Gold Coast Suns have the potential to cause much more damage to rugby than the NRL ever has.

I don't recall David Gallop ever saying the NRL has plans to kill off other sports where as Demetriou pretty much has.

S

Sydney Wallabies

-More rugby shows on tv (free to air) other than the rugby club
-In NSW multiple Shute shield matches televised each weekend, not just 'match of the round'
-Get oz tag in junior schools from a young age. I work at afterschool care a few days a week at a Syd primary school and we always play touch footy. Doing my bit to convert as many of them as i can to play rugby not sookball.
-Plain and simple better and more frequent advertising...
- Getting into the american market would be a huge plus for obvious reasons. 4th Bled should be in Denver...
- Rugby 11 for xbox/ps3 . Rugby 06/08 are awesome games so an updated version should get some new kids playing and loving the game!

More Shute Shield games on TV is a brilliant idea.

It would help get the club brands out there and I am not just talking about the big clubs like Randwick, Eastwood, Sydney University etc.

Making clubs like Penrith and Parramatta more competitive will help expand rugby's playing base in those areas.

That article in the Daily Telegraph a couple of years ago about the Parramatta club saddened me.

If we can get more rep quality players playing for those clubs it will make the Shute Shield a lot more competitive.

Maybe expanding the Shute Shield to interstate clubs to make it the national club competition would be a step in the right direction as well.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
Making it easier and cheaper for kids and families to see big matches. Discounted tickets for families and members of local rugby clubs. Also taking some of the sup 15 games to places like Parramatta Stadium etc. I do like the idea of Sunday arvo games, either tests or sup 15, with a curtain raiser game. That would make me want to go to more games.

S

Sydney Wallabies

but seriously, someone kill mungoball....

That wasn't what I made this thread for RF.

AFL is more the enemy atm compared to league.

I don't see Gallop saying they're out to destroy rugby.

The way Demetriou is carrying on he is trying to kill rugby.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
just riling you up again; but you do have to assess rugby' s competitors and whilst AFL might be trying to kill off rugby, league is a more direct competitor in terms of the types of athletes, and there are more afl-ers who are willing to support rugby than leagueys.

the actual optimum result would be for league to merge back into rugby, but that undoubtedly will never happen

S

Sydney Wallabies

A league/union merger may have worked had the ELV's been a sucess had the grumpy old Poms not put paid to the ELV's.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I doubt it. It's become a culture thing.
If RL does go away, it's more likely to be a gradual dissipation of players then a massive change by clubs.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd start the season with a 1 day 7's tournament of 10-12 teams featuring our 5 super 15 teams, plus maybe one or two of the NZ sides, invitational pacific island sides, plus a rugby league club or two...the last is crucial and would bring a huge amount of publicity. Other potential teams could be an Australian Indigenous side and the NZ Maori. Sell it to an FTA channel as a separate 'product' and play on a Sunday at the SFS or Suncorp.

Ham

Sydney Middleton (9)
A league/union merger may have worked had the ELV's been a sucess had the grumpy old Poms not put paid to the ELV's.

How exactly do you think a merger would have worked? The fundamental difference between the games is that Union has a contest for the ball and League does not. It has to be one way or the other, otherwise you turn League into Union or Union into League.

Even with the ELVs Rugby was so fundamentally different to League that a credible merger would not be possible. If you really think it is that simplisitic than maybe you should be watching League instead.

To blame the English for not changing the game to suit you is also quite arrogant. Rugby Union is played and enjoyed by many nations around the world and it would be silly to change that for the sake of our small market.

S

Sydney Wallabies

How exactly do you think a merger would have worked? The fundamental difference between the games is that Union has a contest for the ball and League does not. It has to be one way or the other, otherwise you turn League into Union or Union into League.

Even with the ELVs Rugby was so fundamentally different to League that a credible merger would not be possible. If you really think it is that simplisitic than maybe you should be watching League instead.

To blame the English for not changing the game to suit you is also quite arrogant. Rugby Union is played and enjoyed by many nations around the world and it would be silly to change that for the sake of our small market.

Point taken, Ham.

IMO I wouldn't want the two codes to merge anyway.

I enjoy watching both games tbh.

As long as both codes eventually become stronger than AFL here I will be happy;

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I'm not a Sydneysider, but surely both codes are currently stronger than Aussie Rules in Sydney, and all other rugby code dominated markets?

Also a minor, pedantic gripe. The sport is called Australian Rules, not AFL. Its like referring to all Rugby as Super 15 and all League as NRL.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Also a minor, pedantic gripe. The sport is called Australian Rules, not AFL. Its like referring to all Rugby as Super 15 and all League as NRL.

Heaps of people refer to League as NRL. In fact, I'd say that rugby is the exception, as most people in Sydney call "Australian" Rules AFL.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Get into the public schools. Teachers are too busy these days, so if ARU can rock up with everything to run a one Rugby comp, they will be very happy - pre-comp clinics, Wallaby/S15 stars, referees, coaches, ovals, comp rules, canteen, T Shirts & posters for participants. Run these clinics early in the year before Junior rugby starts.

Make top level games cheaper for families. You can screw the $ out of the punters in other ways after you have them hooked.

Reclaim the turf. After the game, let the kids get out on the oval to kick a footy, and mingle with the players. Yes they are tired and there probably are security issues but the punters pay the wages of the stars indirectly through their support of Heavensgame.

More School Holiday rugby camps. I know that they are glorified babysitting and long day care services, but it is still an engagement with rugby, and a time to encourage kids and parents with the benefits of Heavensgame.

Status
Not open for further replies.