• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Newington College vs The Hills Sports High School

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the berries

Speed accross the paddock. Speed is not only measured in forward meters. But also in a players ability to more sideways. Big , large intimidating forwards who can not move laterally to defend are a burden and an extreme liability. The HSHS forwards have lateral speed, this was apparent by the lack of penetration gained by the attacking sides against them this season. Augies could not bust through the middle nor could they go around the backs as they did so well last year. Game speed is what we are talking about.
Any person who would have been present at the Aussie V Samoa on Wednesday night would have seen a similar spectecal. Lateral speed, then forward mommentum. Great defence and awesome attack. equals speed.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They did and they are. Remember the joeys team were one of the weakest fielded in the past 30 years. (only 1979 was weaker) NO Aus schoolboys and only 1 NSW player.
Beating Kings when Kings were playing at their peak was impressive (8 schoolboys)

Yeah that and the Riverview win were truly playing above their weight but Newington was a bridge too far for the boys. The Kings win was like the world turned upside down with all the Oz Schools players in the Kings team, and deserving to be.

Joeys weren't great in 2009 and probably won't be in 2011 either with so few lads from the Ones and Twos returning compared to their rivals.

The Twos were outstanding this year and undefeated. The standard of the Twos was quite close to the standard of the Ones, something we didn't always see with other schools; but perhaps discussion on that topic belongs in another thread.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Off topic - but of interest to the wider audience. On Friday Hills defeated Matraville Sports High School 34-24 in the final of the NSW division of the ARL Schoolboys Cup rugby league competition (the antecedent of the Arrive Alive Cup). The match will be replayed on Channel Nine next Sunday morning at 6am.

Hills now go on to the national final against Keebra Park High School QLD to be played in a couple of weeks. Forum members will recall that it was Keebra who defeated Hills in the national schoolboy rugby 7's championship held at Riverview College earlier in the year. The media made a big deal about it because a league school beat the rah-rahs at their own game. Really boring sterotyping etc. Hills are confident of victory this time around. A marvellous achievement for this school to be crowned one of the best union teams and the best league team in NSW.

Many of the players that were in the Waratah Shield winning team last week were in the winning league team. Players such as Gerard McCallum, Sam Ahfono, Jason Havea, Big Willy et al. See here http://www.ourfootyteam.com/2010_schoolboysCup_semi_hills_v_matto.php

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for that I'll record that game.

Geez Havea looks scary - he's built a bit like Popeye Pocock.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I have been reliably informed that the New v Hills game will not go ahead. As many members here pointed out; the official response was track and field precludes them from playing. Oh well - nice try.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Off topic - but of interest to the wider audience. On Friday Hills defeated Matraville Sports High School 34-24 in the final of the NSW division of the ARL Schoolboys Cup rugby league competition (the antecedent of the Arrive Alive Cup). The match will be replayed on Channel Nine next Sunday morning at 6am.

Hills now go on to the national final against Keebra Park High School QLD to be played in a couple of weeks. Forum members will recall that it was Keebra who defeated Hills in the national schoolboy rugby 7's championship held at Riverview College earlier in the year.

Saw the game eventually once my rugby union watching duties were complete for the week.

Big Willie was just a reserve but I was surprised at how well he went as a league player as I thought the requirement to get back 10 all the time would challenge him a bit.

It was a pity that the player you had mentioned before, Loko, was injured early as he looked a good player in pre-game vision of him.

McCallum is wasted in the 13 man game as a fullback as he has no chance in league to show the skills evident in his union game as a flyhalf. Even if he had to play fullback as a union player all the time he would have more value for a union team than as a fullback for a league team.

Not to the point, but I thought the though the fellow who did play five-eighth for Hills was a cracking league player.

Any idea when the match with Keebra Park is played - and on TV?

I wonder if the lad from that school who is touring with the Oz Schools team, flyhalf Dion Taumata, will play for the Qld team if the tour is over by then.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
The Australian final is being played this afternoon at 3.10 pm at Suncorp Stadium prior to the Toyota Cup and NRL qualifying finals. It will be replayed on channel nine at 6am on Sunday 3 October. Taumata will be missed by Keebra.

I think Big Willie's fitness is improving and is probably due to the fact he has played alot of both codes this year. I think he and Stuart Goodman will make a very formidable backrow for Uni next season.

Loko was actually selected in the Sydney West rugby team this year but pulled out because Parramatta mungoes put their foot down on their prize investment. He loves rugby and played with the likes of Stu Goodman, Hugh Alexander and William Fay in the 2004 NSWPSSA under 12 team. I understand he will join the Eels NRL fulltime squad for next season. Hope he is playing today!

Yes, the five eight Wehbe is a very good player. He and Jason Seage were the half back/five eight combination in league at club, school and the Eels. Tell you a funny story about him. He played in the Hills team that won the 2007 Buchan Shield. In one twenty metre drop out he punted the ball instead of drop kicking the football to the amazement of his team mates and the crowd. What was more amazing was that the ref allowed play to continue!

McCallum will either play fullback or in the halves for the Bulldogs Toyota Cup team next season.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
UPDATE: Hills win ARL Schoolboys Cup 18-14 over Keebra Park. Gerard McCallum won Peter Sterling Medal for most outstanding player in the tournament.

The Hills Sports High 18 (Gerard McCallum 2 tries Jacob Loco try Jason Wehbe 3 goals) def. Keebra Park State High School 14 (Henare Wells Mosese Fotuaika Kurtis Rowe tries Cayden Matehaere 1 goal)

1\2 time Hills SH 12 - 6

Peter Sterling Medal winner Gerard McCallum (The Hills Sports High)

T

the berries

McCallum will play put his 2011 contract with the doggies then who knows. He is keen on union.
cheers,Bye the way any up date on young Brisby and his injury.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Notwithstanding how good the footy team may be, An ad of that nature is still quite tacky.

Is the GFC hitting enrollments at GPS schools that badly that they feel they need to advertise in that manner.

Perhaps they need to adjust their budget and fees they charge to reflect what parents are prepared to pay for their boys education ( or what they can actually afford to educate their boys).

I wouldn’t put it just down to the GFC. A rugby premiership doesn’t necessarily lead to increased enrolments. The most in demand spots in the QLD GPS schools are at Gregory Terrace, and in recent years they have been one of the weaker rugby schools because they don’t offer scholarships. That’s an issue for another thread, but the fact remains that good schooling (and demand for it) has more to do with actual academic results and social justice programs and whatnot, rather than rugby premierships.

M

moyna

I saw the ARL schoolboy grand final against Keebra Park state High school. Rugby defensive lines are different but that Hills backline is fast and more to the point punishing in defence. I have to say the big boys for the Hills forwards have a very good work ethic. At full strength in rugby they would be a difficult nut to crack. I will also be fair to the rugby league playing fly half Wehbe. I would not give many penalties away, I was made aware that Seage was unavailable to play half back being injured. Biuntly even the reserve half back was solid. I think what am trying to say is that their depth might give them an advantage over quite a few GPS teams.

T

the berries

Well put. This team from the HSHS will never know how good they really were. Years back Matra ville boys played a GPS school and chopped them badly. We saw the emergence of the Ella brothers and a new style of footy. The HSHS lads may present a similar threat to the old guard.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Years back Matra ville boys played a GPS school and chopped them badly. We saw the emergence of the Ella brothers and a new style of footy.
I think the year was 1976, Matraville had a team containing 11-13 year 11's and they beat Joeys in what I thought was a tight contest - not sure that "chopped them badly" is on the mark but happy to be corrected.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They played Joeys in a trial game and the result was close but most unexpected.

Bob Dwyer from Randwick was at the game and the rest is history.

Status
Not open for further replies.