• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Any schools thread, and especially this one, should not refer to scholarships. We started a separate thread for discussion on scholarships for the 2010 season because whatever rules you have people are often compelled to mention the subject; they can't help themselves. They often mention things obliquely as part of a general post. I've done it myself, not thinking of the consequences of ruining a thread.

When using the scholarships thread please obey the protocols in Scarfman's 2 stickies about Schoolboy rugby etiquette and Rules of the forum. Also please refrain from mixing discussion on scholarships with general matters in the same post.

This should isolate the scholarship virus to a single ward. The only other ways to stop the virus are to zap every single post that has whinges about scholarships in it, and rebuttals to such whinges - or to edit them, which steals our time.

Thank you.

R

Rugbygirl

Time to kick off the 2011 discussions.

Who will be contenders in 2011 ?

Who will be the rep stars in 2011 ?

Any thoughts ?

B

baldingwingforward

You've already told us enough times RG:

No one else stands a chance in 2011 - Newington already have one hand on the trophy.

Rep players - to quote you "Brogan Roods, possibly the most complete player of his generation, will be back for one more year", so with that in mind i expect Brogan Roods to be named captain/coach of the Australian Schoolboy side in 2011.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)

No one else stands a chance in 2011 - Newington already have one hand on the trophy.

Rep players - to quote you "Brogan Roods, possibly the most complete player of his generation, will be back for one more year", so with that in mind i expect Brogan Roods to be named captain/coach of the Australian Schoolboy side in 2011.

That is, if he doesn't get any more yellow/red cards...

S

skullring

I was under the impression from all of Rugbygirl's write ups that he could even be a bolter for the 2011 world cup, should he stay injury free.

R

Rugbygirl

Let's have a sensible discussion boys.

Does anyone know how Kings, Joeys, Scots and View will shape up next year ??

I've heard Scots have a few players back including the No. 8 who I thought was impressive this season.

B

baldingwingforward

Ok - all jokes aside. This is what i wrote in the other thread. I have made a couple of edits due to being reminded about a couple of other players.

Newington will indeed be the team to beat again next year, although i think they might have a bit of a shock coming without Apo, Luani and Roach to run the show for them... They have some good players but none in the class to replace those 3, and in such influential positions, although there is still plenty of time for them to replenish their stocks before April! They have an embarrassment of riches in the prop department but the key position of halfback will be an issue, and i don't think the 10 MacDonlad will survive without Apo to hold his hand... Roods needs go forward ball and MacDonald passes it without taking the line on at all.

Kings lost a lot of players this year from 1st and 2nds, although they have some handy 16s coming through, although it might be a year early for them. Vilmaa will be an important figure for them - interesting to see whether he stands up. Randall at 7 is also a very good player. Those 2 in combination could be key.The fullback from the 16s is a BIG unit - it will be interesting to see how he goes at the next level up.

Scots - should be competitive, but there again they have had an excellent team on paper for the past 2 years! Barakat prop (played NSW 2s), The 7 (Walters is a quality player) 8 Miller, and 13 (Jim Stewart) are back (and a winger?), and Horowitz who played 12 for NSW 16s is also a good prospect. They will have a good backline, but as normal for them i think they will struggle up front.

Joeys - very few players back. Their 2nds won in 2010 but i think nearly all were Y12s. Le Lievre and a couple of others are back? The 16s were strong though - the 5/8th played 10 for NSW 16s, not a bad player. Think they will be better than they were this year and don't think anyone will be putting 50 on them again in 2011!

Iggies - have a number of 1st and 2nd XV returning, 8 1st XV? Had a number of 16s in NSW team. Vaux who got player of the tournament at the 16s champs should be good to watch. From what i have seen they will have a good pack (3 NSW 16s and 1 Oz schoolboy in the forwards) but might struggle in the outside backs. A potential backrow of Wells, Dempsey and Whiteley looks pretty powerful. They also have a big THP - don't know his name, but he looks like he can play a bit.

Shore - don't know much about them. Merriman is back for his 3rd year of 1st XV/Opens and the team will be based around him (Rightly or wrongly expect to see him picked in some high rep teams as the NTS need to justify their selections). Also have a good THP and a big solid back rower? (big blond lad).

Grammar - don't know much about them but their 16s were reasonably competitive again this year which is always a good sign...

I'm sure others will add notable players and comments to the above.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It would be good if St Augustines are invited to play the GPS sides in place of byes...

In theory it would, Nusadan, but they've got their own competition to worry about. The inclusion of St Augustine's in the ISA camp has improved rugby there enormously.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Joeys - very few players back. Their 2nds won in 2010 but i think nearly all were Y12s.

That was my info early in the season. In Rd. 1 the Ones and Twos each had only 2 lads returning in 2011. The teams obviously changed during the season for one reason or another; so some recalibration should be done. It suffices to say however that not many of the 2011 team will have played regularly in either the Ones or Twos in 2010.

The 2010 Twos were undefeated. It's a pity that the depth at Joeys was not rewarded.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
In theory it would, Nusadan, but they've got their own competition to worry about. The inclusion of St Augustine's in the ISA camp has improved rugby there enormously.

I don't think there would be many tears from ISA Schools if St Augs moved on. They are only an associate School not a member.Only 2 years ago there was a push from Schools within the ISA not to re admit them as an associate School (they have to re apply every 3 or so years).
They haven't improved the standard of Rugby in the ISA competition, but have improved the rep team enormously, I think 19 of their opens played ISA this year.this demonstrates the gap between them & the rest of the ISA in the Opens.(curiously they are not nearly as dominant throughout the age groups).

staedler

Frank Nicholson (4)
Augustines are starting to become more than an associate school nowadays in the ISA, as they are now apart of the football, basketball and swimming competitions...and yes, they did get 19 in the representative teams, however this year ISA had some curious selections and a distinct lack of depth

N

NorthernSon

Hmmm Lee, You are indeed a joeys tragic but your comments on the 2nd XV efforts and depth of SJC in 2010 appear reasonablely accurate from my glimpse of operations at Hunters Hill.

From the early trial I saw against Shore I thought that they were in for a shot at the title in 1's and 2's. Word has it they had a massive run of injuries though and the loss of the likes of potential rep players in Tegart and Bond probably didnt help their cause, but gave others the opportunity.

From the 3 competition games I saw though, the 1sts travelled a little light on, the wins against View and Kings were exhibitions of spirit rather than talent. The 2nd XV and 3RD XV championships pipping Shore in the last game was a good indication of the colleges ability to draw on good rugby stock that were in year 12 2010.

From some of the postings though, Year 12 2011 will likely see the same 3 boys remaining in the 1sts and the blooding of the under 16's.
Their year ahead is likely to be termed a rebuilding phase.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
From the 3 competition games I saw though, the 1sts travelled a little light on, the wins against View and Kings were exhibitions of spirit rather than talent.

Well put. That was my assessment and agree that 2011 will be a rebuilding phase. Unfortunately Joeys have been doing that for too long by their usual standards.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Let them rebuild for a few more years. They've got a few spare decades before they match Grammar's period of rebuilding. It's good for the competition. I personally would like to see Kings, View, New, Scots, Shore all go through similar rebuilding leaving the way open for Grammar and High.

V

vert

From what I saw of the 2nds and 16's from joeys they have their talent but can't rely on those freaks like KB (Kurtley Beale) anymore, Joeys will have to earn this premiership. The 16a's game against newington was meant to be a huge choke, but their seconds did very well.

Does anyone know names of upcoming 1sts possibles from Joeys

durkadurka

Peter Burge (5)
Do not count out Joeys for next year, this may be early, but word has it around the college that 2011 will be a special year.

Status
Not open for further replies.