• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Leicester Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
Sunday was 25-16.

I didn't see the game, but is Edmonds the option over Fainga'a? From what I've read so far it sounds like it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Some thoughts on the game:

• Well done in the scrum albeit against 3rd string props and 2nd string locks. Good throwing to the lineouts too and competing for the ball.

• It was good to see another game when a Wallaby team ground out a win, but their composure in the middle third of the game was dreadful and reminiscent of the Baas match in Gosford. This was born of poor discipline and when it was pinged the players became more rattled and around in circles it went. Ma'afu was almost clownish with some lumbering infractions and it was a pity because his scrummaging was terrific.

• Another negative was a lack of penetration. The Tigers made more breaks than we did and we had no mystery to confound their excellent defence. QC (Quade Cooper) and Giteau looked better players this morning without getting on the park. So much for the debate on the quality of Barnes as a launcher of a back line and as a goal kicker; but when it mattered most he got the side home like a sheep dog.

• Because the inner backs could not breach the tackle line it followed that the outside backs withered on the vine. Only Turner could generate one chance with a kick through and it took a fine defensive effort to deny him in the corner.

• Burgess was the best player on the park but I doubt that he will displace Genia from the starting team - and, pending a medical report of the hookers, nor will any other player this morning be promoted to either the run-on team or the bench at HQ. That said, Slipper and Edmonds took a step forward.

• Young 12Trees had a superb first half playing 10 for Leicester when he is really a 12 but, having started in just a few premiership games, his lack of experience under pressure told in the end. Teenage winger Tuilagi didn't get a chance to shine and old stager Geordan Murphy was the only Tiger to instil concern. Apart from one break from The Tank the Tigers' back row looked anonymous, tackling excepted.

• It was good than Kaplan was the referee because one knew the crowd could not influence a fellow of his experience. [And he too free kicked a scrummie for putting the ball in skew. Three times in 4 international games !!] By the way, congratulations to Austin Healey for displacing Brian Moore as the commentator who is the biggest goose. The ex-Tiger always whinges about slights against Leicester but his performance this morning in criticising Kaplan was of the highest honk.

• There was a bit of rain during the game on top of earlier rain but the Leicester pitch is brilliant by comparison with the Millennium Stadium and the players were impeded less than in the test match.

• It was a reasonable effort especially as many hadn't started in a rugby match for a long time. When they play against Munster this A team will have to repeat their good set piece performance and play in contact, but they will have to improve their discipline and ask more questions of defenders. Places, even starting places, can be earned against Italy the following weekend.

T

TheTruth

Higginbotham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, good win in the end. We need to win these scrappy games. I'm happy enough I guess.

AGREE Reddy - was a scrappy turnout - disappointed with Barnes - he certainly didn't do anything to elevate him up tyhe ladder - backs in general lack lustre and lacked the penetratration or ability out wide to dominate. Great to see 6,7 and 8 bind properly and our scrum was generally great. Hopefully 6,7 and 8 in the big boys team watched and learnt something. Maafu Edmonds and Sliiper are putting the pressure on with their work ethic around the field as well. Fantastic to see Higgers and Simmons have great hit-out.

Bring on the POM'S

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Some thoughts on the game:

By the way, congratulations to Austin Healey for displacing Brian Moore as the commentator who is the biggest goose. The ex-Tiger always whinges about slights against Leicester but his performance this morning in criticising Kaplan was of the highest honk.

Healey has the advantage of being a complete goose as a player, so the leap for him was not so big.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I actually am starting to have less and lee of a problem with seeing Huia take up the 16 jersey.

He seems to be going along surprisingly swimmingly.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, but he iced the game anyway. Throwing a long pass with that slippery ball might not have been the best option. Although I think we had penalty advantage at the time.

R

rugga10

How did Sitiveni Mafi go ? former Jnr Waratah playing for Leicester I think hes only 20 or 21 yrs of age

Status
Not open for further replies.