• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm not going to say it's unfair, because it's just good recruiting, but you'd think some of the aspiring high level rugger players would want to play at clubs other then Uni.

After all, there are only 15 spots each in the Uni 1st grade and 1st grade Colts. Same goes for the coaches trying to carve themselves a future.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
N4cer

The other side of that is that they know if they can make it at Uni, then their aspirations will be more likely to be met than if they were at another club.

Putting Uni aside for the moment: sometimes we think that the player strength of clubs should even out a lot more than it does as players move to lower ranked clubs to get a game in the Ones. There is a bit of that but not as much as we think should happen. There are a lot of reasons why players stay at a club to play in lower grades and most of them are admirable.

AD

I have watched young Goodman closely in the last few years. He's always seemed to be a big fish in a small pond. Sydney Uni (big pond) will be good for his rugby and his attitude, which seems to be over the top. But he is a sterling leader on the park and I wish him well there.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
did a new gordon logo, actually sent it to them

208541402.jpg

...yes I'm extremely bored these holidays.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Parra signings for 2011
Sam Yakapo Tuggeranong 5/8
Dan Yakapo Tuggeranong / Aussie 7s wing/full back
Sione Pakula Tuggeranong prop
Smith Bros Western Province South Africa Props
Damian Fakafuna West Harbour/ Tonga Centre
Alf Paea Gold Coast Titans Centre
Luke Tavatoa West Harbour Half
Gus Hamilton Victoria 2nd row
Tyler Stevens Queenbeyan Full back

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Parra signings for 2011
Sam Yakapo Tuggeranong 5/8
Dan Yakapo Tuggeranong / Aussie 7s wing/full back
Sione Pakula Tuggeranong prop
Smith Bros Western Province South Africa Props
Damian Fakafuna West Harbour/ Tonga Centre
Alf Paea Gold Coast Titans Centre
Luke Tavatoa West Harbour Half
Gus Hamilton Victoria 2nd row
Tyler Stevens Queenbeyan Full back

How's Parra's colts program going?

He will still be colts eligible and playing senior tight 5 is hard for a youngster.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Luke Tabutoa played OZ schools and is a former 2blue 1st grader. Fakafanua was a commentators dream during the Shute Shield season. The boys were in all sorts pronouncing his name.
Lee once again a chicken vs egg moment. Did Uni create an environment that attracts the best of the best, or was an environment made for the best of the best to be placed there. Sydney Uni were irrelevant in club rugby and also cricket until recently. Since then they have done an amazing job of providing players to all levels of senior rugby and to a lesser extent cricket( go Mark Cameron). They are a great nursery of developed talent. Unfortunately they aren't the initial developers of said talent. Anyway, I have been on the cans this arvo so good luck to everyone, be safe and have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

R

rugga10

Parramattas colts I think is looking shaky as a lot of there players from this year have left ie : back to subbies colts and off to other colts teams ( west harbour and eastwood). Add to this them missing out on some good juniors in there catchement Guy Millar (Uni), Ben Melrose (Uni), Luke Keary (Qld League), Tom Connor (Souths/Canberra), Jason Seage ( Eastwood), as well as David Lolohea,Big Willie Skeleton,Jason Havea, Brendan Newcombe, Scott Ferris who are at Wests and also numerous Players from the Kings and Oakhill 1xv as well as boys from the U17/18 Parramatta juniors who are off to Eastwood

R

Rothschild

Lee once again a chicken vs egg moment. Did Uni create an environment that attracts the best of the best, or was an environment made for the best of the best to be placed there. Sydney Uni were irrelevant in club rugby and also cricket until recently. Since then they have done an amazing job of providing players to all levels of senior rugby and to a lesser extent cricket( go Mark Cameron). They are a great nursery of developed talent. Unfortunately they aren't the initial developers of said talent. Anyway, I have been on the cans this arvo so good luck to everyone, be safe and have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Well not really.
Uni have always been among the top teams in the Shute Shield and whatever previous models the premiership ran on. Until recently however you actually had to have attended the Uni in order to be allowed to play.
In recent times they have relaxed that rule as well as realize the potential to the Uni to provide scholarships to athletes in order to gain their services. In reality - what does a study scholarship cost the uni - after all they are going thru the motions anyway so whats two or three or twenty more students listening in lectures and submitting assessments.
They have stumbled on a very efficient and low cost method of attracting talent - a process that other clubs cannot match, particularly if that athlete is somewhat academically challenged so the prospect of gaining admission to one of the most prestige universities in the country is a great temptation.

The thing that grinds mine and most peoples gears is the fact as you say - they didn't do the development in the first case so they are reaping the rewards of other clubs proactivity in junior development.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Perhaps this is for another thread but what the hell.

What development did Randwick do for Gilbert, Drew Mitchell, and the Brisbane 2nd rower that was recruited for them in the last couple of rounds this year who's name eludes me, but is now playing in Europe?

I am sure the same analysis could be completed at any one of the TNSS clubs with similar results. Why single out Uni?

Most TNSS clubs fight over former GPS, CAS and ISA 1st XV talent like hyenas pick over a carcass on the Serengeti plains. Uni are no different to the others.

R

Rothschild

Perhaps this is for another thread but what the hell.
What development did Randwick do for Gilbert, Drew Mitchell, and the Brisbane 2nd rower that was recruited for them in the last couple of rounds this year who's name eludes me, but is now playing in Europe?
I am sure the same analysis could be completed at any one of the TNSS clubs with similar results. Why single out Uni?
Most TNSS clubs fight over former GPS, CAS and ISA 1st XV talent like hyenas pick over a carcass on the Serengeti plains. Uni are no different to the others.

Really, take a look at those Kings School players and others in the Australian Schools squad and you will find many of them were at some stage if not most of their playing life Eastwood juniors. Jed Gillespie, Steve Cummins from Seven Hills, The Woods have a right to say they are a local development - yet Uni will walk in and offer a scholarship for no previous effort or expenditure. Thankfully Jed is staying at the woods - a bit of family there but Uni have secured a decent proportion of the squad.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Good analogy, the REST of the Clubs might be fighting over the carcasses, but only AFTER the Lion that is Uni, has had first dibs,gorged themselves & left the carcass that they no longer desire for the rest to pick over.

In terms of Colts, Uni would account for 90% of incentives offered across the competition.
They are the only Club I know of contacting 16 year olds.
There is no other club that places deadlines on deals with kid's, so that they can chase the next best backup player.
They are the only club offering incentives for kids to play in their 2nd's
It is a one way street, they have a free shot at everyone else's juniors, but have none of their own for others to poach.
There is also the tall poppy syndrome
That's a few of the reasons why Uni are singled out, but there are more.

U

Upright

Good analogy, the REST of the Clubs might be fighting over the carcasses, but only AFTER the Lion that is Uni, has had first dibs,gorged themselves & left the carcass that they no longer desire for the rest to pick over.

In terms of Colts, Uni would account for 90% of incentives offered across the competition.
They are the only Club I know of contacting 16 year olds.
There is no other club that places deadlines on deals with kid's, so that they can chase the next best backup player.
They are the only club offering incentives for kids to play in their 2nd's
It is a one way street, they have a free shot at everyone else's juniors, but have none of their own for others to poach.
There is also the tall poppy syndrome
That's a few of the reasons why Uni are singled out, but there are more.

All you say is correct,but in the long run it doesn't matter,it's a Colts competition. Of greater significance and concern, is the number of boys who have been promised the world to go to Uni, who leave once they become too old for Colts. A few progress (eg Phipps)and that is good and some stay to play lower grade but a great majority either return to their original club or play subbies as they realise they aren't going to be the rugby super star they thought they would be.Having been a Uni player of past ages I am pleased with their success however I am equally embarressed that boys not attending uni are playing for the club under the guise of "we offer a great program" because we don't really, we simply entice 25 of the best kids from across the various school comps to come, offer them access to the gym, win Colts comps and then say see you later once they pass 20. I support strongly the concept of playing for your junior club e.g Souths, Manly whoever up until you have completed Colts, while those lads attending Uni (sydney that is, not UNSw or UTs or MAcquarie) have the choice of becoming part of the "great program" on offer at Uni or not. Winning any game by 40 or 50 points with teams assembled from across the city is not what a Colts comp is all about. Although I know some of my former Uni teammates disagree I know many who agree. I will watch with interest how many of our 1st grade premiership Colts team from last season turn out in our grade teams this season, and i think I know the answer.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Thoroughly agree, I know someone who got a good HSC mark and is presently a student at Sydney Uni, he played a couple of years of 1st XV at a GPS school (no, not Grammer or High) he was told he could try out and hope to make the 3rds. He ended up at another club in 1sts, had a great season and made the semis. But if the kids in colts at Uni go the mercenary route, they deserve to get overlooked by better mercenaries when they matriculate to grade.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Obviously to be competitive Uni need to look outside the students of Sydney University, particularly in the Open ranks BUT perhaps a cap should be set that more then half the team should be Sydney Uni students in Colts and more then a third in Opens.

Make sense?

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
This debate re Sydney Uni goes on every year. I can tell you from the inside of a club that operates on a total budget that is less than Uni pay its coaching staff it is impossible to compete on a level playing field with Uni in terms of young player recruitment. Other than the financial aspects , Uni have developed a persona that they are a rep rugby hatchery and this attracts the players. Their is absolutely in my view no way that Greg Jeledouv and Trent Dyer would have been picked for an Australian 7s team if they were playing for another club. Not meant to denegrate these very talented players , just that there are more talented players at other clubs that dont get a look in.
None of any of this is good for Australian rugby, wish i had the answer.
we will probably have the same debate next year after berrick barnes or danny cipriani or dally messenger plays 4 games for sydney uni and they come from 6th to win the premiership with the aid of a home semi against the minor premiers.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Understandable with the opens, if the other clubs can pull Wallabies/Super players from a hat at the business end of the season then why shouldn't they. Not that that makes it right.

I agree with the idea for the colts. Although I'm not sure how many other Sydney Uni students are playing colts, subbies elsewhere, and if they would be interested in coming back from clubs that have looked after them when Uni told them they weren't good enough and told them to go somewhere else in the first place.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I also think the Shute Shield and Australian rugby season is designed to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. If you were a Wallaby or Super Rugby player and you were expected to play a few TNSS games at the end of the season, would you sign up for a club that doesn't make the semis? What this also does is denies the clubs who didn't make the finals acess to professional players who can then pass on what they picked up from a professional set up and make the whole of Australian rugby stronger.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I also think the Shute Shield and Australian rugby season is designed to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. If you were a Wallaby or Super Rugby player and you were expected to play a few TNSS games at the end of the season, would you sign up for a club that doesn't make the semis? What this also does is denies the clubs who didn't make the finals acess to professional players who can then pass on what they picked up from a professional set up and make the whole of Australian rugby stronger.

Could not agree more.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not many changes for Souths for next year

Rebels reveal 2011 firepower
BY BRAD FORREST
30 Dec, 2010 04:00 AM
SOUTHERN Districts have re-signed most of the squad which got them through to their first Shute Shield major semi-final last season and added some firepower to their forward pack for 2011.
Club benefactor Kevin Maloney is again heading Souths major sponsor, the Tulla Group (Maloney’s The MAC Services Group Ltd also sponsors both the Reds and the Waratahs) and on the back of their most successful season — where Souths were downed eventually by Sydney University one game short of the grand final — Souths have had little trouble keeping the squad together.

With the Super 15 competition and Rugby World Cup giving all clubs less access to their representative players for the Sydney Shute Shield competition next year, Souths have moved to fill the gaps that will leave.

They welcome back former Endeavour Sports High schoolboy stars Sami and Apo Latinipuluo (from Wests). Sami Latinipuluo is an Australian U20s and Australian 7s rep and younger brother Apo recently returned from playing Australian Schools Tests against Samoa and New Zealand after captaining Newington College to their first GPS Rugby competition victory in many years.

Other new signings include Australian Schoolboys No. 8 Jed Holloway (his father Graham played for Port Hacking and Wests) and who toured with Apo to Samoa and New Zealand, and Lapeti Timani, brother of back rower Sitaleki Timani, from Canterbury Bulldogs.

The club is also having discussions with Jarrod Saffy, the former St George Illawarra prop and former South African rugby player (with Melbourne Rebels). The club now has 15 senior and junior representative players in some form of full training, including Australian Wallaby centre Rob Horne, recovered from injury. They are:

Waratahs Super 15:

Kane Douglas, Rob Horne,

Brackin Karauria-Henry.

Junior Waratahs:

Sitaleki Timani, Lopeti Timani,

John Ulugia, Jed Holloway.

Waratahs Academy:

Rohan Saifoloi, Nick

Seymour, Tetera Faulkner.

Queensland Reds: Radike Samo.

http://www.theleader.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-union/rebels-reveal-2011-firepower/2032311.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.