• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup - Canberra Competition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Tau has been running around most of preseason with us - perhaps Easts should stop allowing him to participate in preseason if that's the case. Not fair us hiring professional trainers for League players convenience.

Uelz seemed to think he (Tau) was playing. I do enjoy the mixed messages!

Makes sense with the Ahosivi's (or just Sione?) - they've mainly just been playing socially, this is closer to home.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Tau has been running around most of preseason with us - perhaps Easts should stop allowing him to participate in preseason if that's the case. Not fair us hiring professional trainers for League players convenience.

Uelz seemed to think he (Tau) was playing. I do enjoy the mixed messages!

Makes sense with the Ahosivi's (or just Sione?) - they've mainly just been playing socially, this is closer to home.

Would have been good for Tau to be back playing for Easts, but he is remaining with the Sharks.

R

random477

Vikings 1st Grade v Royals at Phillip Saturday 2/4/11 - 3.00pm Kick-off
Matt Quilty 1 Loose Head Prop
Hugh Roach 2 Hooker
Mike Noble 3 Tight Head Prop
Tom Murday 4 2nd Row
Tim Cree 5 2nd Row
Scott Irwin 6 Blindside Flanker
Josh Hitchens 7 Openside Flanker
James Turner 8 No. 8
Beau Mokotupu 9 Halfback
Shaun McCarthy 10 Five Eighth
Jake Knight 11 Left Wing
Rodney Iona 12 Inside Centre
Dave Wellington 13 Outside Centre
Isikele Ratulevu 14 Right Wing
Junior Vosuqa 15 Fullback
Dan McKellar Coach
Shaun McKellar Asst Coach
Greg Hayes Manager

Vikings 2nd Grade v Royals at Phillip Saturday 2/4/11 Position
Jamie Kelly 1 Loose Head Prop
Michael Henry 2 Hooker
Salesi Tomu 3 Tight Head Prop
Joe Savau 4 2nd Row
Peter Henry 5 2nd Row
Richard Joyes 6 Blindside Flanker
Tom Tuivaiti 7 Openside Flanker
Andrew Talaina 8 No. 8
Matty Joyes 9 Halfback
Dylan Karaitiana 10 Five Eighth
Tom Blencowe 11 Left Wing
James Tupai 12 Inside Centre
Lix Lealiifano 13 Outside Centre
JP Mynhardt 14 Right Wing
Anthony Crowe 15 Fullback
Duane Peterson Coach
Bryce McNichol Asst Coach
Michael Bryant Manager

Vikings Colts v Royals at Phillip Saturday 2/4/11
Position

Mwala Phueto 1 Loose Head Prop
Tom Carney 2 Hooker
Hunter Prescott 3 Tight Head Prop
Simon Kenny 4 2nd Row
Tyler Lister 5 2nd Row
Fin McCarthy 6 Blindside Flanker
Kerry McInerny 7 Openside Flanker
Jake Visser 8 No. 8
Ryne Bowden 9 Halfback
Andy Brown 10 Five Eighth
Nic Murray 11 Left Wing
Reinhold Kamillo 12 Inside Centre
Jamie Beaton 13 Outside Centre
Michael Barnetson 14 Right Wing
Brendan Taueki 15 Fullback
Andrew Hitchins Coach

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Tom Tuivaiti will be the find of the year for the Vikings.....there's my bold prediction for the year....lol

C

Cando

How did Tom Tuivaiti go for the Vikings. Heard on the grapevine that most , if not all rookies did well for the team . Good to hear feed back on this game as they are predicted to win the comp.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
How did Tom Tuivaiti go for the Vikings. Heard on the grapevine that most , if not all rookies did well for the team . Good to hear feed back on this game as they are predicted to win the comp.

I actually went along to watch this game. The Score (although looked like an easy win for Vikings) didnt actually reflect the actual game. I thought Royals were very strong against this Vikings outfit. Although Vikings were more clinical in capitalising and sticking to structure. It was a real game of two halves. I like the look of the Vikings hooker, he was strong in both attack and defense and also the flyhalf was pretty clinical in what he did, nothing flashy but guided his team around like a real pro. For Royals, Sokai Tai was a stand out as was Tim Cornforth who was a constant threat. The Winger Rollings was also dangerous. But considering Royals had nine Front Line players on the sideline tells me that this club is going to be stronger once all their boys are all back and fully fit. Its quite worrying actually for us and others.

Italian Stallion

Stan Wickham (3)
I actually went along to watch this game. The Score (although looked like an easy win for Vikings) didnt actually reflect the actual game. I thought Royals were very strong against this Vikings outfit. Although Vikings were more clinical in capitalising and sticking to structure. It was a real game of two halves. I like the look of the Vikings hooker, he was strong in both attack and defense and also the flyhalf was pretty clinical in what he did, nothing flashy but guided his team around like a real pro. For Royals, Sokai Tai was a stand out as was Tim Cornforth who was a constant threat. The Winger Rollings was also dangerous. But considering Royals had nine Front Line players on the sideline tells me that this club is going to be stronger once all their boys are all back and fully fit. Its quite worrying actually for us and others.

That is correct BP.
Players out are Eugene Mulipola, Tom Pelo, Mick Brandt, Kyron Pita, Joe Kolo, Scott Patterson, Jack Sutton, Leo Taliu and Ben Johnston. So a fair whack of talent not on display for us yesterday.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
One swallow does not make a summer, and so, one loss at the start of the season does not make a long season. I hope.

One might say that Royals too will be out of the running. Nearly 60 points against in one game doesn't look too good.

However, I don't think either game is indicative for Easts or Royals, there are another 19 rounds to go, and as such, there is plenty of twists and turns to come. Injuries will play a massive part in deciding how clubs go this year, as always. Uni-Norths had a couple of injuries yesterday in 1sts - a knee and an ankle. Didn't look good.

Easts certainly didn't play well. Very basic errors across the park, and I think that the club is in need of a proper outside center. Tom Toailoa hasn't returned, and that's been quite a blow. At any rate, majority of points scored against the team were created by poor errors rather than constructed by Uni-Norths. Poor kicking (without finding touch), and lack of commitment at the breakdown. The poor kicks were especially bad, many were catalysts for Uni-Norths tries. Easts didn't have the mindset to adapt, and as such, were well beaten.

However, don't take away Uni-Norths, they played really well. Looks like they have recruited a lot of solid players. They capitalised on our mistakes consistently, shifted the ball well across the park, and had a very chatty, organised No 9.

A lot of the players looked like they were from the Oz-Boks 7's team - anyone with any information on the new players, and where they all come from, South Africa or otherwise?

Should give an honourable mention to the Easts Colts. They had their first win in over 12 months yesterday, thumping Uni-Norths Colts 50-19. Given that the Owls usually have a very strong Colts team (for obvious reasons), this was very heartening to see. Well done to the lads.

Dishonourable mention to the Owls guys in charge of music for the day. I'd hate to see what the rest of their music library is filled with. Scary.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
One swallow does not make a summer, and so, one loss at the start of the season does not make a long season. I hope.

One might say that Royals too will be out of the running. Nearly 60 points against in one game doesn't look too good.

However, I don't think either game is indicative for Easts or Royals, there are another 19 rounds to go, and as such, there is plenty of twists and turns to come. Injuries will play a massive part in deciding how clubs go this year, as always. Uni-Norths had a couple of injuries yesterday in 1sts - a knee and an ankle. Didn't look good.

Easts certainly didn't play well. Very basic errors across the park, and I think that the club is in need of a proper outside center. Tom Toailoa hasn't returned, and that's been quite a blow. At any rate, majority of points scored against the team were created by poor errors rather than constructed by Uni-Norths. Poor kicking (without finding touch), and lack of commitment at the breakdown. The poor kicks were especially bad, many were catalysts for Uni-Norths tries. Easts didn't have the mindset to adapt, and as such, were well beaten.

However, don't take away Uni-Norths, they played really well. Looks like they have recruited a lot of solid players. They capitalised on our mistakes consistently, shifted the ball well across the park, and had a very chatty, organised No 9.

A lot of the players looked like they were from the Oz-Boks 7's team - anyone with any information on the new players, and where they all come from, South Africa or otherwise?

Should give an honourable mention to the Easts Colts. They had their first win in over 12 months yesterday, thumping Uni-Norths Colts 50-19. Given that the Owls usually have a very strong Colts team (for obvious reasons), this was very heartening to see. Well done to the lads.

Dishonourable mention to the Owls guys in charge of music for the day. I'd hate to see what the rest of their music library is filled with. Scary.

Fair call there Empire. 1st Round results doesnt make a season.
However, in terms of Easts with comparison to someone like Royals or even other sides, do they have any players to fold back into 1st Grade that would make a difference to results?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yea we had a few out. Aubrey Horton would have made helped in the backline immensely and Uelesse's wouldn't have hurt around the rucks. Another issue, not injury related but language rather is integrating some Japanese players. They are over from Kubota Spears with the Brumbies and playing with Easts, hard to integrate when our Japanese is so poor and their English so bad. All 3 once playing though will be a huge addition - they certainly made an impact yesterday, alas, too late in the games to really help.

ten four

Stan Wickham (3)
uninorths would have had 9 or 10 players who came through colts over the last couple of years playing first grade yesterday, and probably a similar number in 2nd grade. Both grades had good wins to start the season, and if they can continue to play that sort of rugby will have a successful year.If they do it is evidence of how important a good colts programme is to a rugby club in this competition.Easts ,while dis appointed with their senior grades showing can take some heart from their colts performance, whllst uninorths should take note of their colts performance.

G

goroyals

did anyone catch whether or not royals won? i was at the game, but didnt see it.

P

Parra GM

uninorths would have had 9 or 10 players who came through colts over the last couple of years playing first grade yesterday, and probably a similar number in 2nd grade. Both grades had good wins to start the season, and if they can continue to play that sort of rugby will have a successful year.If they do it is evidence of how important a good colts programme is to a rugby club in this competition.Easts ,while dis appointed with their senior grades showing can take some heart from their colts performance, whllst uninorths should take note of their colts performance.

How did Jordan Goddard go? good kid, good player

Status
Not open for further replies.