• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Saw Le Lievre play on the youtube videos and he looked pretty handy, more impressive seeing as he had a year to go at school as well. Looks like he might go well at 13 as well to get him the ball more.

[video=youtube;xCiGmgbxLbg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCiGmgbxLbg [/video]

Is he any chance for the NSW I side or the Aus schools I side Lee? While I'm asking are their any notable guns in the sydney GPS as well btw?

The 14 in this video for Joeys looks like a slimmer version of Mark Gerrard haha, looks faster than him as well

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
just putting it out there barclay is actually the 12 for joeys and o'connor the 13. Also joeys backs seemed to work better when josh kay the halfback went to inside

Q

QuadeCooperFan

Lee, great report. Is there any chance you could post the teams for both Joeys and Kings on the program?

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can somebody enlighten me as to why Josh Kay is playing halfback for Joeys? Saw him play at fly half couple of years ago in U15s and thought he was the best 10 running around in that age group in 2009. He also went well at fly half in the U16s tournament last year - although my knowledge is limited, I thought he would be a cert to be playing at 10 for Joeys first XV this year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah Kay is really a flyhalf as I indicated last week. When Curtin came on in the 2nd half against Scots things flowed better as Kay's pass from the deck wasn't stellar. It's snowy haired Deegan, one of the many Yr 11 lads, is the flyhalf at the minute and he's going OK, but let's see: these are trials after all. 5 years ago Boydie used Jason Ryan, a flyhalf usually, the whole year at 9 and he made the NSW Ones reserves; so let's hope Kay can do as well.

Not to the point , but Ryan had a fairly handy no. 10 to pass to that year: K. Beale.

Curtin didn't play yesterday; so he may be hurt.

T

tigers69

Yeah Kay is really a flyhalf as I indicated last week. When Curtin came on in the 2nd half against Scots things flowed better as Kay's pass from the deck wasn't stellar. It's snowy haired Deegan, one of the many Yr 11 lads, is the flyhalf at the minute and he's going OK, but let's see: these are trials after all. 5 years ago Boydie used Jason Ryan, a flyhalf usually, the whole year at 9 and he made the NSW Ones reserves; so let's hope Kay can do as well.

Not to the point , but Ryan had a fairly handy no. 10 to pass to that year: K. Beale.

Curtin didn't play yesterday; so he may be hurt.

Andrew Deegan is Yr 10, and curtin was concussed in the scots game so was unable to play this week

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee, great report. Is there any chance you could post the teams for both Joeys and Kings on the program?

Just because you're a friend of mine I will type out only their surnames to save time, but let me know if you want to know the forename of a certain player.

Kings
1. Brister
2. Randell
3. Jones
4. Greentree
5. Renshaw
6. Moylan
7. Hall
8. Vilmaa
9. Gregory
10. Wylie
11. Behne-Smith
12. Foketi
13. Stokes
14. Burton
15. Tourish

Joeys

1. Bryant (but Robertson from the Twos played a lot of the game.)
2. Guilfoyle
3. Hall
4. Schwager
5. Kovacic
6. Pennisi
7. Murphy
8. Watts
9. Kay
10. Deegan
11. Hookey
12. O'Connor
13. Barclay
14. Wilde
15. Le Lievre

just putting it out there barclay is actually the 12 for joeys and o'connor the 13. Also joeys backs seemed to work better when josh kay the halfback went to inside
Thanks - Boydie must have switched them but that's how they were listed, and they were listed like that the previous week too. Or are you saying that the lad wearing the 12 jersey actually played outside centre and vice versa for the 13?

Doesn't matter that much really - they are both pretty good.

Andrew Deegan is Yr 10, and curtin was concussed in the scots game so was unable to play this week
Thanks - I forgot that Joeys had 3-4 Yr. 10 lads in the team and even forgot which of non-Yr. 12 lads were such. He goes OK for a Yr. 10 playing in the Ones doesn't he? Would be good to see Kay get a trial there next week.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Saw Le Lievre play on the youtube videos and he looked pretty handy, more impressive seeing as he had a year to go at school as well. Looks like he might go well at 13 as well to get him the ball more.

Is he any chance for the NSW I side or the Aus schools I side Lee? While I'm asking are their any notable guns in the sydney GPS as well btw?

The 14 in this video for Joeys looks like a slimmer version of Mark Gerrard haha, looks faster than him as well

It pained me to see that game again. Newington got every little bounce of the ball whereas it was Joeys that needed them. Even if Joeys had got the breaks Newington would have smacked them. Last year's Newington team is one of the best Sydney GPS teams I have seen for a while.

Gus would go OK at 13 but I think his best spot is 15, not least because he has a booming boot to clear the ball from his own red zone. Sometimes he looks like Matt Burke running with the ball, though Mattie played 13 a lot at Joeys, come to think of it.

He's a very good chance to make a NSW side but I've only seen 3 GPS teams over two weekends; so who knows who else is out there? Gus was in the Joeys Twos in 2010 and the incumbent, Tegart, was a top player and NSW hopeful. Tegart got hurt and Gus got promoted, but there was already talk of shoe-horning him into the Ones anyway because his form was so good in Twos. It was a bit late then to consider him for GPS, otherwise he may have made one of the the teams.

That 14 was Leroy Buchanan, one of Joeys better players last year. He was in the Twos last year but got promoted after the trials and ended up in the GPS Twos.

As for the guns for NSW: I only see a small sample until the trials: the GPS lads. I suspect I will see a few certainties when I watch Newington next weekend.1. Amituanai, 3.Ala'alatoa, 13. Roods and 11. Roye will all be strong candidates based on last year's form.

There are many others with good credentials but the one that intrigues me most as having possible star quality is 12. Foketi of Kings, who I mentioned above. I first saw him in the U/16 tournament last year as a fast running winger but yesterday he was a swerving stepping 12. As I said he is very similar to Apo, last years Oz Schools 12, and who is the 12 in the white jersey in the video you had in you post - and has just been selected in the Oz U/20 team.

Watch this space on Foketi; if not this year, next.

S

sick_kent

Blindside, if Newington do get 'their act together' and get past Riverview this is going to be a VERY one sided GPS comp this year with cricket scores all over the place wherever Newington are playing.

People still seem to be talking up Joeys but from my sources they are even worse than last year. I would guess SHORE and Joeys will be similar in standard.

This said if Newington lose to Riverview what a potentially superb open comp!

Riverview look pretty good but if New can tighten up the screws then it will be a very one sided competition

if im honest i dont even see newington v view to be that close. if newington are at full strength and with home ground advantage i cant seeing this result being dissimilar to last year.

View will put up a good fight i think

yes that choice to put him at number ten was a little odd i thought. a year 10 at 5/8 with another probably better 5/8 in at halfback doesn't shape up well. I'm guessing as the season progresses the conflicting beliefs of two playmakers/gamechangers will have an adverse affect on the joeys backline.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
What is the date for this View V Newington game? (GPS Week 1)

Did anyone watch the Scots View game? Would be good to hear something about these two teams...

T

The Blindside

What is the date for this View V Newington game? (GPS Week 1)

Saturday 4 June.

If New and View keep winning there will be a full house at Stanmore for what should be the game of the season.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Question for Lee, and anyone else for that matter (and I'm not trying to stir the pot just in search of info / history);

I wrote a quick note/report on this site yesterday after the SHORE/Newington game but I left out a bit. I have been thinking about it today and hence this new post.

Whilst I view myself as 'indepenedent' for part of the game yesterday I stood with SHORE parents, and at the end of the day if I have an allegiance it might be that way. What I was astonished by though, and didn't want to comment on yesterday, was the racist undertone / overtone all around me. Even walking towards the car at the end I was walking alongside SHORE boys who if in different company would easily be locked up for what they were saying.

I'm not having a go at SHORE, but is this common or is it simply never talked about or discussed? (I am, as previously commented, relatively new to Australian GPS rugby). Any insight would be appreciated. For example is this kind of behaviour getting more common or less? Is anyone or any school doing anything about it?

M

magpie52

I saw the Riverview v Scots game.

I'm not associated with either school so I don't know the players names. Apologies.

Riverview flew out of he blocks and put on 20 points in no time. The game was effectively over with 60 min to go. And the score was reflective of the game. Riverview dominated in all areas.

There were a few long range intercept/kick through tries but Riverview are a quality team. no real weaknesses. Scrum improved dramatically after being shown up by Waverly early a few weeks ago. Lineout's won without any drama. Riverview backline is not big but well drilled. The interesting player for mine was the Riverview 19 (playing 13). Looks like a NZ leaguey. Bit of Benji, bit of Quade. Had the hair to boot. Not your typical Riverview player. He had some moves and was elusive. The whole team works as one at the breakdown.

My best for Riverview were the 1 and 6 but they really play as a well drilled team.

One 'grow up' comment though. The Riverview winger picked up a loose ball and ran 60m to score. A Scots forward put up a good chase but was never going to get him. From the 22m to the line the Riverview winger turned twice to 'give it' to the chaser who was never going to get him. Arrogant and not on. And something I really hope Riverview sort out asap.

As for Scots, they were blown off the park. Outclassed in all areas. Could be in for a long year.

Clear Scots standout was the 15. made plenty of breaks and threatened all day.

The Riverview guys who stood

Q

QuadeCooperFan

I'm hearing Joeys went down in the 16As but that it was still pretty close despite Joeys having a lot of U16 players in the Opens teams?

You would be correct. I think the score was 19-12. Kings also had a few out due to injury (i think there were 3, Bateman was among them)

T

The Blindside

Question for Lee, and anyone else for that matter (and I'm not trying to stir the pot just in search of info / history);

I wrote a quick note/report on this site yesterday after the SHORE/Newington game but I left out a bit. I have been thinking about it today and hence this new post.

Whilst I view myself as 'indepenedent' for part of the game yesterday I stood with SHORE parents, and at the end of the day if I have an allegiance it might be that way. What I was astonished by though, and didn't want to comment on yesterday, was the racist undertone / overtone all around me. Even walking towards the car at the end I was walking alongside SHORE boys who if in different company would easily be locked up for what they were saying.

I'm not having a go at SHORE, but is this common or is it simply never talked about or discussed? (I am, as previously commented, relatively new to Australian GPS rugby). Any insight would be appreciated. For example is this kind of behaviour getting more common or less? Is anyone or any school doing anything about it?

Unfortunately that sort of thing is quite common - you'll see lots like it on the scholarship thread. Lots of similar comments after the Joeys game last year - even from Joeys parents at the after game function. The sad reality is that people see the black faces and think import/scholarship. These people should know better given, in general, their education, wealth and priviledge. I guess it just goes to show that all the money in the world can't buy class or decency.

One of the reasons Newington is going from strength to strength is because of its cultural diversity with many different ethnic groups and socio-economic groups attending the school. It is the most widespread demographic in the GPS and, in my humble opinion, the best asset Newington has got. I'll take 1 poor Tongan boy over 100 indolent sons of wealthy Mosman wankers any day!

Status
Not open for further replies.