• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Burke strikes back

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tahfan

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-only-side-trying-to-play-20110519-1ev0m.html

I didn't think he coould write an article that made him look more stupid then the "have you ever played super rugby" article but to be fair to him he has given it a red hot go.

This just proves all the negative points that are made about the Warathas. They just don't want to know. Hickey defends his rubbish dour no plan b game plan with stats and now this.

Oh dear Jesus save us....

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Looks like he read Gagger's article then tried to spin a completely different story out of it.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I love all the comments, "YOU AND YOUR STATS MATT".

All these people who are criticizing the tahs for playing boring rugby have no criteria of what constitutes exiting rugby, so obviously when people come at them at and say "what more do you want, here are the stats", they are going to go on a huge emotional outburst about how actually basing your view on reality is "deluding yourself".

These people go to watch games without even a vague criteria for what constitutes "attacking rugby". Then after the game is over, whether or not the game was deemed "exciting" rests entirely on their initial emotional response to the game. The problem with this is that there are so many variables and influences on ones emotion responses;

- Did their team win?
- How much have they had to drink?
- How is their mood?
- Was the weather good? Was it cold?
- Did they have to wait in long Que's to get in?
- What was the response of those around them, cheerful or upset?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Well at least he didn't go with the Hickey response and blame the injury's or they made us do it line. In all fairness to Burke, he has attempted to be constructive in his comments even if he is in denial.

R

Redsfan

Quick question for the learned men of G&GR: how many of you, after watching an excellent game, go home and sit in front of your computer, holding on to your mouse with white-knuckled anticipation waiting for the fucking stats?

Not many, I'd guess.

Reactions: BPC

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"It is a pretty easy scenario for the Waratahs with five rounds to go: first get the four points then strive for the bonus point."

It's all so simple when someone who has "played at Super Rugby level" explains it to you. Now all I have to do is remember which comes first, the four points or the bonus point. Brilliant!

"This week my investigative journalism took me to Waratahs HQ ..." Hang on. Doesn't he work there? And his "investigative journalism" took him there? "Investigative journalism"? Don't get too far ahead of yourself, son. You're having a hard enough time coping with bog-standard journalism.

"their previous two home games, against the Rebels and the Force. For all the brouhaha over their style of play, the figures show the only team trying to 'play' in these games was the Tahs.

"Now, you're all thinking, 'Hang on, I witnessed a kickathon against the Force and against the Rebels, in a game that lacked skill.'"

No we're fucking well not.

I'm thinking: "That's five minutes of my life I've wasted reading this shit."

I'm thinking: "Does he actually get paid to write this shit?"

I'm thinking: "I wish that I was still at that phase of my life where I would be shit-faced before lunch time so that I could better cope with reading this shit."

But then, right near the end, I discovered a sparkling jewel of enlightenment. Have you ever trudged thigh deep through a sewage settlement pond only to discover on the other side a beautiful fairy dell with bells tinkling and bright lights twinkling? No, probably not, but the thought helps to convey my feelings when I got to this:

"My mantra to any player is use your head. Kick when you have to kick but run when you can. This may be from your own try line. Just make the right decision."

"Any player". Picture this. Matt sidles up to Benn and Tatafu and Sekope and Al and Damien and whispers his mantra to them. He's got to be the bastard that screwed up Dunning's head when he started kicking field goals and seagulling for intercepts.

R

Red Rooster

Maybe he is part of the problem - no wonder Link moved him on as a player - Then Hickey bought him back - I wonder if the Brumbies will get this stuff with their returning veterans next year?

OzSash

Allen Oxlade (6)
The video interview on the link with Growden simply enforces my view of what a wanker that guy is.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm going to have to change my avatar. I used to really admire Burke as a kid, he was a great player and from what I saw, he seemed like a nice guy.

I remember watching the wallabies train at easts and he hanged around to sign some stuff for the kids. My dad had to go and Burke heard and took pity on me and took me to the front of the line to give me his signature.

However, after reading all his comments in the media my opinion is slowly changing. I do hope that the written format is somehow skewing his views and tone, because they seem condescending.

On a more positive note, a player who continually impresses me with his articles is Adam Frier. He, like John Eales, has a unique way of talking about the games issues.

T

Tahfan

"Any player". Picture this. Matt sidles up to Benn and Tatafu and Sekope and Al and Damien and whispers his mantra to them. He's got to be the bastard that screwed up Dunning's head when he started kicking field goals and seagulling for intercepts.

Arguably the single finest piece of work I have read on this forum.
Not gold. That one is PLATINUM!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'm going to have to change my avatar. I used to really admire Burke as a kid, he was a great player and from what I saw, he seemed like a nice guy.

I remember watching the wallabies train at easts and he hanged around to sign some stuff for the kids. My dad had to go and Burke heard and took pity on me and took me to the front of the line to give me his signature.

However, after reading all his comments in the media my opinion is slowly changing. I do hope that the written format is somehow skewing his views and tone, because they seem condescending.

On a more positive note, a player who continually impresses me with his articles is Adam Frier. He, like John Eales, has a unique way of talking about the games issues.

If you really want to change your initial opinion irrevecably read his Bio, that in conjunction with his comments this year tells me he is a serious part of the culture problem. Attitude of entitlement it was called a while back.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
"My mantra to any player is use your head. Kick when you have to kick but run when you can. This may be from your own try line. Just make the right decision."

You have to give one R Deans credit. 'Playing whats in front of you' at least doesn't require omniscience.

Reactions: BPC

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gnostic,
What's in the bio for you to say that? normally they are very positive towards the subject.

The whole tone is extremely bitter and twisted about his lack of continuing contract at the Tahs and some other points. Left me feeling that Burke did indeed feel that he was entitled to stay at the Tahs as long as he wanted where he wanted. I had always regarded (and still do) him as perhaps the best Fullback the Wallabies ever fielded and definitely the best the Tahs ever had, but that bio. tarnished my view of him personally. I gave him the benefit of the doubt about the book because it had in all likelyhood been heavily editted and ghost written in any event, but his comments this year have brought it back sharply into focus for me and the book and comments resonate to the same tune.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Post of the year Bruce... Absolutely! :lmao:

And who wrote this - anyone around here? Hit the nail on the head for mine...

"The Brumbies lead just about all of the areas of passing and ball in hand. But it is not translating into wins."
And you address your own cop-out analysis of the Tahs. Just like Hickey, you hang your hat on statistics when they clearly mean little if a team is underperforming and generally playing a frustrating game to watch (Tahs or Brumbies).
Look - I know none of us have played Super15 and so wouldnt understand the game (as you pointed as Matt a few weeks ago) but let me reiterate the comments of a gentleman at the 'fan conference' last night - if you kick the ball 40 metres and it gets kicked back 60 metres every time its no longer tactical kicking.
And no, not just the Force game, but most games I have seen the Tahs play.
TC Rider | Sydney - May 20, 2011, 11:40AM

Status
Not open for further replies.