• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

billybob

Just like to comment on Joeys number 10 Andrew Deegan. His defence on the big New players was extordinary. I noticed that when he tackles he doesn't seem to try and smash the opposition, he postions himself so that he makes the tackle, usually by rushing up and then slowing right down to prevent massive collision and lacthing on making a good technical tackle. One of the best defenders in the backline and to get through the joeys line I don't think running at the young 5/8 is the way.

B

bighughie

Just like to comment on Joeys number 10 Andrew Deegan. His defence on the big New players was extordinary. I noticed that when he tackles he doesn't seem to try and smash the opposition, he postions himself so that he makes the tackle, usually by rushing up and then slowing right down to prevent massive collision and lacthing on making a good technical tackle. One of the best defenders in the backline and to get through the joeys line I don't think running at the young 5/8 is the way.

Yes the young Deegan kept a cool head through out the game, the size and weight of the New backline didn't seem to faze him.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

is it safe to say he'll make NSW 16s?

or at least a likely candidate?

B

baldingwingforward

not to mention i think riverview are a lot better than you are this year

Some interesting comments you have made there Joey2012... You won't find many people who agree though. A lot of people think that Newington only have to turn up and they have as good as won the GPS. I don't think it will be that easy for them but i do think they are the favourites.

Why do you think that View will beat them? Whereabouts do you see New getting beaten? I hate to say it but for me they look pretty solid right across the park...

F

footy13

deegan and sandel had exeptional games with sandel showing up the opposing new prop with superiour technique and body hight in nearly all the scrums, deegans defense was out of this world to be frank to those who have doubted his ablilty to take the hits the harder they hit him the faster he'll bounce back up

T

The Blindside

Some interesting comments you have made there Joey2012... You won't find many people who agree though. A lot of people think that Newington only have to turn up and they have as good as won the GPS. I don't think it will be that easy for them but i do think they are the favourites.

Why do you think that View will beat them? Whereabouts do you see New getting beaten? I hate to say it but for me they look pretty solid right across the park...

New are solid right across the park.

It's not just that they have 9 guys back from last year it's that they've got 9 guys who know what is required to win the premiership. These 9 guys stared defeat in the face last year when a star studded Kings team were ahead by 15 points with 15 minutes to go. They didn't panic and stuck to the game plan and eventually won by a point. That game them self belief and the rest, as they say, is history.

There are no big heads at New and they are training very hard because they know every team in the GPS will be looking to knock them off.

They are extremely well coached and they do stick to the gameplan which is why they often come from behind to win. They aren't thinking of how to beat View in two weeks time - they are thinking about how to beat Scots who have some quality players.

B

baldingwingforward

Blindside - you seem to have a good knowledge of the team. Do you know if New have picked their full strength team yet? Roods had his first game back against Joeys didn't he? Should be a good match up against Scots if Stewart is back playing, but i don't think he is ready yet.

It will also see the battle for the GPS 1s and possibly NSW #7 jumper between Walters and Baldwin.

I don't think New will struggle too much against Scots - New forwards will be far too strong but it will be interesting to see what unfolds.

T

The Blindside

Blindside - you seem to have a good knowledge of the team. Do you know if New have picked their full strength team yet? Roods had his first game back against Joeys didn't he? Should be a good match up against Scots if Stewart is back playing, but i don't think he is ready yet.

It will also see the battle for the GPS 1s and possibly NSW #7 jumper between Walters and Baldwin.

I don't think New will struggle too much against Scots - New forwards will be far too strong but it will be interesting to see what unfolds.

New are not at full strength yet and New ran a lot of 2s players against Joeys in the second half which partly explains the joeys recovery from 12 to 29 points. Roods came back on Saturday but New are still experimenting with wingers, halfback and second rowers. Vlahos brothers should be back next week.

Mark Bladwin has been best on ground for New the last three games.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)

Sorry, I disagree... Whilst technically he was good, on a number of occasions the New players ran straight over the top of him. The same, to a lesser degree, could possibly be said of young Lussick the New half back. Too small and under developed at this age and level. The teachers and coaches have a duty of care to these boys. Both talented footballers, but both could be seriously hurt if they carry on playing First XV this season.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Am late with this report on the Newington v Joeys game, but others have covered the nitty gritty and given the scores. Some other thoughts (and using the names as listed on the programme.).

• New doesn't have an Apo this year, nor a Roach, nor a Luani, but they have good players across the park and all the ingredients to be as good as 2010 except for intangible things such as concentration, timing and decision making. They actually looked beatable in the 1st 15 minutes after Joeys ran in a couple of early tries to lead 12-0 and in some later periods too. I understand they were dozy for a majority of the match the week before against View. I think they will be their own worst ememies.

• It was good to see 13. Roods healthy and playing well. He is a fine player and was hard to stop every time he got the ball. It's not sensible at this time of the year to say a fellow is a shoo-in for rep footy, but you can say that if there is a better outside centre in NSW, he will be very good indeed. Let's hope he stays fit.

• I would hate to have to feed the bookends 1. Amituanai and 3. Ala'alatoa every day. They haven't lost any weight over the summer. Sometimes it took three Joeys lads to stop one of them and then if quick ball was realised it would be passed to the other one to take it up, often in a pod, whilst the defenders from the first tackle were still picking themselves up.

Joeys players were dragged in for rescue work after two or three of these, but then the ball was whisked out wide to run against a Joeys backline with players missing. The pick and go wasn't executed perfectly every time because the Joeys blue heelers shut it down a lot, but in the end the big boppers wore them down.

• I thought that New flankers 6. Prior-Lees and 7. Baldwin had good games too. Although outshone by his direct opponent 15. Pople is very promising as he has a lot of toe and has a huge boot on him.

• The New backs looked bigger than the Joeys forwards.

• I thought that Joeys would have trouble with the huge New front row in the scrums. They lost a couple through wheeling , but by and large they got their ball cleanly even if they weren't going forward. Their lineouts improved a lot too from last week and apart from a couple of incidents which bombed tries, their passing was much better also.

• 15. Le Leivre had a top game for Joeys and is in the .. “if there is a better schools fullback in NSW he is very good indeed” category. For a change Joeys used his booming boot to get in the right part of the field.

7. Murphy was like a drovers dog all day, especially on restarts, and skipper 5. Kovacic ran and tackled hard in a beaten team. U/16 qualified 10. Deegan had a terrific match. He combined well with his scrummie Kay and for a young bloke passed with commendable accuracy both ways. It was his defence that surprised me though. There's not much of him but he has a big ticker. He just set himself up before the tackle and stopped big guys running into him time after time, though being run over a few times. Watch this space on young Andrew.

• Well done to Newington, but get your act together because there is no saying what you achieve if you succeed in doing that. Well done to Joeys too. Give or take a couple of bombed tries I doubt if you could have played much better at this time of the year.

T

Try Time

Newington only kicked 2 from 7. Only 1 of those kicks was from a difficult angle and none of them were pressure kicks. It could be their undoing later in the year.

G

Good rugby fan

Last week he kicked them from all angles and properly an off week as his passing wasn't the best either. New must get their discipline right as they gave so many silly penalties which the happy whistle blowing referee took full advantage of and starting giving them for no reason while missing plenty in the opposing team which didn't help. Scoring 7 try’s to 4 was clearly dominate while losing the penalty count around 5 to 1 made the score line closer than it properly was.

F

footy13

good rugby fan- if anything the penalty count was the other way with new backline consistently offside at rucks and playing dangerously e.g head high on deegan

G

Good rugby fan

footy13 so right about the head high and that why I said they need to pick up their discipline but you would hope it wasn't intentional as well, as for the penalty count well you only have to look at the final stats to see how close I am. Joey's in the few years will be strong, they had some talented players and as past comments have stated there a quite a few in year 10 but I don't think it will be their year!

B

bighughie

Could someone please put up the fixtures for this weekend.

And what does everyone think about Riverview v Joeys in a trial game, i think that it will spoil the comp game having already played them.

Status
Not open for further replies.