• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v. Crusaders, May 29th, Suncorp - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Reds Front Row - can they handle it or can we expect 80 minutes of getting smashed in the scrums?

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few rolling mauls out there from the Crusaders either.

T

TheTruth

Reds Front Row - can they handle it or can we expect 80 minutes of getting smashed in the scrums?

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few rolling mauls out there from the Crusaders either.
Yeah T. - thats the worry - think Reds will be more mobile, hit the breakdowns etc but the set piece is the concern - need very quick feed, win ball and get the leather out quickly before the second push comes

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I imagine the Crusaders will persist with the high up and unders that we saw last week against the Chiefs. That is a very effective weapon when your scrum is so dominant. Unless the Reds back three are very accurate when catching these high kicks, there is a good chance they will knock the ball on, leading to a scrum. And even if the Crusaders chasers cannot secure the ball cleanly, they can knock the ball on with impunity knowing that a scrum is still a positive outcome for their team.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I imagine the Crusaders will persist with the high up and unders that we saw last week against the Chiefs. That is a very effective weapon when your scrum is so dominant. Unless the Reds back three are very accurate when catching these high kicks, there is a good chance they will knock the ball on, leading to a scrum. And even if the Crusaders chasers cannot secure the ball cleanly, they can knock the ball on with impunity knowing that a scrum is still a positive outcome for their team.

100% AC. And, stating the obvious, it's not so much the issue of the Reds losing a scrum or two on their own feed, it's the scrum penalties as gifts to Carter that are the dark danger-land in this match, and you can guarantee the Cru are this very day devising suitably clever scrum tactics to extract those penalties time and again. And of course they possess the quality forwards to so extract vs our Reds relatively weaker front row.

All up, this will be a massively challenging game for Link and the team, and the Cru are Link's old nemesis, par excellence. All adds spice to the supper.

[Btw, when I checked seat availability this morning, the best for a request for 4 was way up the very top and rear, so I think 45,000 is a real possibility. I am just thrilled for QLD rugby and this sort of level proves what is possible in every rugby state with a wholly revitalised franchise management and coaching group.]

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The Reds seem to have this covered in my eyes. That is why Link gets QC (Quade Cooper) and Samo to drop back so much. If there is space let Samo crash it up, if nothing is on QC (Quade Cooper) can kick the ball to space and he also has the option of using the speed on the wings is all of the defenders focus on him as he can pass the ball so wide. As well as that if the kicks go short Genia will have them covered.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
The Reds seem to have this covered in my eyes. That is why Link gets QC (Quade Cooper) and Samo to drop back so much. If there is space let Samo crash it up, if nothing is on QC (Quade Cooper) can kick the ball to space and he also has the option of using the speed on the wings is all of the defenders focus on him as he can pass the ball so wide. As well as that if the kicks go short Genia will have them covered.

Good call. QC (Quade Cooper) is very good under the high ball, as is Genia for that matter.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just btw, re seats sold: F twins just tweeted that '10,000 seats remain unsold for Saturday...'. If accurate, that's c.42,000 sold to date.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeh I got my tickets last night. I'm sitting somewhere high up where I don't usually sit at Reds games!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Genia is the best taker of the high ball in the country IMO.

And his (usually so good) next move after the take is typically so fast and instinctive. I have been at all home games this year close to the line, and his takes are a joy to behold up close LG.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Got my tickets, I shouldn't of waited, got some crappy seats. Doesn't matter, at Suncorp you get a good view wherever you sit. Atmosphere is gonna be electric

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Got my tickets, I shouldn't of waited, got some crappy seats. Doesn't matter, at Suncorp you get a good view wherever you sit. Atmosphere is gonna be electric

there's a lesson in that lads. Get in now and get your tickets, if you haven't already, or there is a very real chance you may miss out!

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
42000 tickets sold. There is still 6 days to go this is ridiculous, don't be surprised if they get 50000, that would show the courier mail, NRL and AFL where rugby really stands in Queensland atm. And if they get 51000 it will be the biggest crowd in QLD this year, biggest in Australian super rugby history, bigger than any NRL game, A-league game or AFL game outside victoria this year. COuld be something very special gents

EDIT: Just realized that state of origin is on wednesday night. Ignore most of that then :p

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Will be very interesting to see the comparison stats between Wednesday and Sunday. The interesting thing is that Sunday at 4pm wouldn't be a favored time slot from the Reds management point of view but seems to be coming up trumps with the fans.

R

RuckinGoodStats

The Crusaders should be tougher up front, but with Dagg and Maitland gone for the season, they lack the dynamism and pace they had in their backs earlier in the season.

Crusaders spent only 15 mins on the scrum machine before Chiefs game and they took them apart. They wanted to rest due to coming back from South Africa. They might spend a bit more time on the scrum machine this week, maybe extending it to 30 minute for a big game like this.

R

RuckinGoodStats

By my count Crusader are 13th in the comp for tactical kicks from the hand (kicks in ply, error kick and touch finders). The Reds are 3rd in the comp. 1= most/highest.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone got an update on who's injured in both camps? I'm assuming that the likes of Morahan and Lucas will be good to go after the weekend off but who remains on the sideline?

This is building to be an awesome game and with the crowd that looks like rocking up the atmosphere will be something else.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
By my count Crusader are 13th in the comp for tactical kicks from the hand (kicks in ply, error kick and touch finders). The Reds are 3rd in the comp. 1= most/highest.

But that was before they lost half their potent backline to injury. Those who are predicting that are basing it on the Chiefs game where the Saders had to go back to conservative to win it.

D

daz

And his (usually so good) next move after the take is typically so fast and instinctive. I have been at all home games this year close to the line, and his takes are a joy to behold up close LG.

The only thing I would add to this is that late in the game, Genia's tiredness translates into him taking longer at the breakdown to clear the ball. When he is really knackered, that means he almost always takes 2 steps back before passing.

In those 2 steps, the Saders will be streaming forward and all over him like a rash.

Status
Not open for further replies.