• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He was up against Jono Owen though, who is a TH and has done poorly at TH in the previous two weeks...

When Jerry Y came on it made a big difference...

It would've been great to see Alexander pack down against him...
Not for Alexander, I wouldn't think, given his scrumming recently. I hope he finds the scrum mojo again soon, as he is so good elsewhere.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
In answer to your question about Lindsay Crook LG, I just saw him playing at 13 for Gungahlin Eagles 2nds (Finegans club) and scored a 90m intercept try at the death.

Thanks for that. He was a good schools player last year but hardly ever got the ball when I got to see him play for Oz Schools. Playing at 13 will be good for his pro career if he gets to be good enough to get a contract He was one of the recent Qld. Schools outside backs who I thought would have to move south to get a gig.

We'll have to watch this space on young Lindsay, but if he can't get into the Ones this season maybe he's not as good as I think - or the standard of club rugby in the ACT is better than I think.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
colby might serve you well next year along with vaea if rocky leaves with chapman. colby/hooper/vaea could be a good backrow for years to come if they keep improving.

and force feed him miracle grow.

And don't forget that 8. Fotu Auelua will be in town also. He can play 12 and 13 too but would not be needed by the Brumbies in the midfied.

Colby has skills which don't fit perfectly with the rugby game and the same could be said about Hugh Perrett, who got a run for the Tahs the other night. Colby would be a better fit in the league game as a hooker or lock. This would interest one of his female relatives who is a mad Raiders fan and wanted all the boys to play for them.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Colby as a Hooker in league lee, not sure he would be a fit there. Could see him as a second row or lock though. Don't think he has the passing or kicking game for hooker.

From the things I have heard about Crook I would like to see him or Sills make a run at the first team next year, putting andrew smith on the wing isn't exactly going to liven up your backline. Also hope White gets a shot as the starting 9.

As an aside saw Brent Hamlin playing fullback the other day for Old tunbridgians (I think) against my local club, he had a bit of a stormer running the ball. Didn't have a clue it was him until after the match. Surprised to see him go from Brumbs academy member to London 1 in 3 years.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
You could be right about Colby not being a hooker for league but he could probably pass as well as Dean Young in my Dragons team can - and he's not much of a kicker either. He would need a few years in the 13 man game before we could say for sure though, and I hope we never find out.

For union: he's not very heavy but he'll put on some weight later naturally, especially in a pro environment. Most of all: he has to play a heavier game. Richard Brown is not the best backrower in Oz but he is good value for every kilo and Colby's team mate, Salvi, is a hard head too. Colby has to follow that path of hard knocks also. He has more skill in his little finger than those guys but he is missing that dog factor.

Early days for Colby though - I thought that George Smith missed that at his age too - but he acquired it, and turned out to be a reasonable player IIRR.

Sills is playing well this year and looking more like a footie player every time I see him, which is only when Randwick is playing on TV; but he still looks a bit light. 22 y.o. John Grant played the best game I remember his playing - for Eastwood on Saturday. He can't be too far away either and at 105 kgs he is not light.

Both are rapid.

Incidentally: Nic White played well again for Eastwood in that game I mentioned. Jake deserves to see how he can play in Super rugby. I''ve never seen him play a bad game and I've even seen him play well starting for the Runners at 10. They should sign him up else he will get an offer from the Tahs - and probably has already.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Digressing here, but...

I think the Force can cope with Dunning's loss, if he heads to the Brumbies. Sort makes sense for the Brumbies, if they consider Dunning a LH only (which is taking away a lot of his value, I think).

The Force are getting in Ma'food, who will probably come close to being their starting TH. Plus they have Cowan at LH, and they've been pushing Longbottom, who has held up fine off the bench, by and large. The fourth propping position will probably be taken by PAE, by my guess. Despite being only about 19 or 20 (?) next year, he's a very big lad. Still too young to play prop in Super rugby, in my opinion, but I suspect the Force are happy enough with him as a fourth prop in this stage of his development.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Colby as a Hooker in league lee, not sure he would be a fit there. Could see him as a second row or lock though. Don't think he has the passing or kicking game for hooker.

Colby was actually one of the goal kickers for the Australian Schooboys, so he can kick strike the ball. Lock would be his position though.

T

TheTruth

also would like to see young Crooke get a shot at top level - at least the kid would give his all - not that big at this level but very quick and fairly elusive given siome room

B

bigglesworth

I respectfully disagere-
While I believe him to be approximately the same size as Luke Moraghan, more than adeuate for this level, he is quicker for sure BUT
all this talk about a kid who has gone nowhere - a 94kg player who runs under 11 secs should have accomplished more.
He doesn't have the moves of the rest of the Brumbie islanders, he has been injured most of this season, couldn't get a full time gig in the Runners side for whatever reason and in his 2 comback games scores a 50m and a 90 runaway try.
He needs to do more that that to get recognition.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Welcome aboard bigglesworth. It's early days for young Lindsay because he was in school last year. If he has been injured for most of season as you say, it's no wonder that we haven't heard anything much about him and why he is in 2nd grade now.

I saw him once for the Runners this year against Force A and you guessed it: he hardly ever got the ball. He seemed to be working off the ball well enough but it's an acquired skill which Campese mastered as much as anyone can, and which Ioane is developing nicely.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies are announcing a new signing and a re-signing tomorrow for next year. I wonder who the new player is...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Its official: Peter Kimlin and Cam Crawford have both signed on until 2013...

I wonder where White is going to play Kimlin?

There's now an opening at 6 with both Elsom and Chapman going, but they are short on locks...

I would assume for the moment that with his size Sam Carter will be in line for a starting spot....

Hand is the only other lock and Fotu seems like more of an impact player at 6/8...

Status
Not open for further replies.