• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sharks v. Tahs - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
ITS, I go back to my earlier point. Do the Waratahs believe they are true contenders for the title or do they think they are making up the numbers in the finals? No doubt the coaching staff are privately thinking "we only need to win one of these". Fine. But to come out and say as much? What does that say to fans and players alike?

"We believe we can beat any team in this competition, away or at home. It will be tough, but we are going to South Africa fully believing that we will win both games and put ourselves in a strong position for the Finals."

Isn't that a better statement?

Nail on the head Richo.

I was at the press conference after the Lions game on Saturday, and remarked to Moses as we left that there was a distinct lack of big-picture confidence in what was said by Hickey and Mumm. The comp is WIDE open at the moment and the Tahs had just had a convincing win. I really wanted one (or both) of them to come out and say 'fuck the Lions, we are here to win the whole shebang'. But it was all about 'we just want to win one game in SA, then see how we go from there'.

It made me question the level of self-belief in the side at the moment. I think the press and public attention the last couple of weeks has taken a big toll.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
Is it really too much to ask, inthestands, that a coach aim to win every game?

I absolutely 100% guarantee you that every coach in the competition is aiming to win every game. Even when Macqueen said he hopes only to be "competitive", you know he's still aiming to win every game.

Hickey gave a commentary on what it would take to make the finals and was realistic in his approach that they need three out of four at a minimum to make the six. That means they cannot drop both games in Africa, which means they need to win at least one if they are to be around at the business end of the year.

To start drawing a bow between that line of commentary and not targetting two wins, or four wins to finish the season, shows a predetermined mindset towards the person being quoted.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
Barbarian - Was it 'we just want to win one game in SA, then see how we go from there' or was it 'we need'?

There is a difference between hoping to get away with a win on tour and knowing that if you don't then your season's done and dusted. From everything I've seen, the latter is true, not the former.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sharks – 15 Louis Ludik, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Stefan Terblanche, 12 Meyer Bosman, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Patrick Lambie, 9 Conrad Hoffmann, 8 Keegan Daniel, 7 Jean Deysel, 6 Jacques Botes, 5 Alistair Hargreaves, 4 Steven Sykes, 3 Eugene van Staden, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 John Smit (c).
Subs: 16 Beast Mtawarira, 17 Wiehahn Herbst, 18 Gerhard Mostert, 19 Willem Alberts, 20 Charl McLeod, 21 Jacques-Louis Potgieter, 22 Riaan Swanepoel.

Waratahs - 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Lachie Turner, 13 Ryan Cross, 12 Tom Carter, 11 Sosene Anesi, 10 Berrick Barnes, 9 Luke Burgess, 8 Ben Mowen, 7 Chris Alcock, 6 Dave Dennis, 5 Sitaleki Timani, 4 Dean Mumm (c), 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 1 Benn Robinson.
Subs: 16 John Ulugia, 17 Al Baxter, 18 Pat O’Connor, 19 Hugh Perrett, 20 Brendan McKibbin, 21 Daniel Halangahu, 22 Atieli Pakalani.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Pretty happy to see Plumtree finally give Conrad Hoffman his change to start. Also good to see Willem Alberts getting a break. Smit should be in 2 and Beast in 1, Battleship need to recharge. Geuss the midfield and breakdowns will be important. Sharks Daniels and Botes must rule their and Bosman and Oupa always a defensive liabilty. Crunch game this.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Weird picks there. I know shorks fans aren't happy with the man with the missing ES but a rookie half in a big match like this? Also alberts being rested? I also think tags should crush their front row.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Pretty happy to see Plumtree finally give Conrad Hoffman his change to start. Also good to see Willem Alberts getting a break. Smit should be in 2 and Beast in 1, Battleship need to recharge. Geuss the midfield and breakdowns will be important. Sharks Daniels and Botes must rule their and Bosman and Oupa always a defensive liabilty. Crunch game this.

What's your prediction, PB?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Just seen it announced on the Rugby club that Kaplan has been given the Tahs - Sharks match, one which could make or break each team's season. This is almost beyond comprehension given Kaplan's history. We've already had him once already and he made some bad blues including ruling a mystifying knock-on that wasn't in a try scoring position. It looks to me like the Appointments Board are deliberately courting controversy.

That Alberts has been rested is not a surprise. One of their best players week after week, he had a shocker last time out, so a rest should freshen him up. They don't lose much with Botes, Daniel and Deysel. Beast will get an early call - I think the Tah front row will do a lot of damage.

Paarl is worried about the Sharks defensive frailities at 12 and 13. Maybe if Kurtley runs that channel but Cross wouldn't scare many 13's. Attacking Bosman at 12 with the Carter crash ball might work but its not likely to make clean breaks, only get front foot recycle ball. Kurtley just inside or outside 13 might be the go.

With the Sharks team announced I reckon the Tahs will think they're a bit in front but Kaplan more than evens it up. A crucial game and its too hard to pick a winner. Going with my heart, Tahs by one.

A

a don

shame if barnsey has go out the same way as flats did. Flats made the call and barnes may have to as well. Hope not.

Brrrrrr cold shudder down my spine - no barnes, kaplan ref (although tahs now 14-2 after the last game he refed in Sydney against rebels)

Carn the tahs.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Barnes is out. Daniel Halangahu is in.

http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=30512

Spin it however you want. Footballers Migraine my fucking red arse. This bloke is one hit away from a permanent vacation.

Berrick, you are a good bloke with a life to live. You have plenty of other options. Come on son, give it away.

whats your degree? honestly, berrick can do whats best for him and if its giving the game away so be it, but whats with everyone suddenly turning into doctors or knowing better round here.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...with-footballers-migraine-20110527-1f8cc.html

This article is by Jamie Pandaram who seems to be the only journo with the team. Twice he has been able to speak to Sharron about the injury. Seems like a lot of the work they're doing with him is investigative which is good.

With respect to Hangers playing, I hope he shows what he did at the end of the Force game and gets his outside men organised well. Having Carter on his shoulder is a big advantage I feel as they've played so often together.

One of the keys will surely be to try and get Beale/Turner/Anesi/Pakalani running at Terblanche. I feel they will be a weakness for them. Remember when he effectively lost the game for them a couple of years ago when he could clean up behind the line and Playford scored the winning try.

Lining the teams up on paper, it's hard for me to identify just how the Sharks are at $1.38 to the Tahs at $2.90. Even if they're favourites, I wouldn't have throught it'd be that much of a difference.

Sharks have a bit of form with not running out with the pre-selected XV. I'm expecting Beast/McLeod/Alberts to possibly start, although Alberts may have an injury. If they run with what they have, Fat Cat will detroy van Staden and Kepu will destroy Smit. Surely, Beast has to start for them.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...with-footballers-migraine-20110527-1f8cc.html

With respect to Hangers playing, I hope he shows what he did at the end of the Force game and gets his outside men organised well. Having Carter on his shoulder is a big advantage I feel as they've played so often together.

One of the keys will surely be to try and get Beale/Turner/Anesi/Pakalani running at Terblanche. I feel they will be a weakness for them. Remember when he effectively lost the game for them a couple of years ago when he could clean up behind the line and Playford scored the winning try.

Lining the teams up on paper, it's hard for me to identify just how the Sharks are at $1.38 to the Tahs at $2.90. Even if they're favourites, I wouldn't have throught it'd be that much of a difference.

Sharks have a bit of form with not running out with the pre-selected XV. I'm expecting Beast/McLeod/Alberts to possibly start, although Alberts may have an injury. If they run with what they have, Fat Cat will detroy van Staden and Kepu will destroy Smit. Surely, Beast has to start for them.

I agree with almost all of this post but would like to reinforce some of his points. Hangers plays a very similar game to Berrick at 10, with perhaps not quite the same defensive intensity. But at his best he is able to set a backline alight and with old-friend Carter at 12 and Kurtley running from deep we have a real chance to break through here. He wasn't at his best earlier in the season but tonight might just be the night to lay those gremlins to rest.

Maybe the Beast will start, though I think its more likely that he'll come on after 20 mins with Bismark being rested till the last 20. But unless there are only a few scrums in the game, this is where the Sharks are most vulnerable, especially if TPN lasts for 70 or so.

And if you are into betting then get some on the Tahs at $2.90 if you can. That has to be the best value bet this year. I don't mean that the Tahs are certainties but that this match is going to be a very close one, with neither team worth $1.38.

D

daz

whats your degree? honestly, berrick can do whats best for him and if its giving the game away so be it, but whats with everyone suddenly turning into doctors or knowing better round here.

I need a degree to see what is happening to a bloke who gets knocked out every second tackle?

Do you or I need a degree to know that repeated and traumatic head knocks cause serious and long term debilitating injury to the brain? Or should we perhaps apply a modicum of common sense?

Hey, why not buck the trend and go for the common sense for a change. What do you say?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I need a degree to see what is happening to a bloke who gets knocked out every second tackle?

Do you or I need a degree to know that repeated and traumatic head knocks cause serious and long term debilitating injury to the brain? Or should we perhaps apply a modicum of common sense?

Hey, why not buck the trend and go for the common sense for a change. What do you say?

so you know whats happening to him?
you know better than the medical staff treating him?
standing him down is common sense and it has happened, he doesnt need to give the game away on your advice as it would seem your form of common sense would be to have everyone just give up. Lucky for him he signed with a club that will offer him treatment and not tell him to go home.

if a footballers migrane (something that exists and has for years ina number of different studies such as this one from 1972:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1788182/) persists then the person is required to give up the sport. if it is the result of the brain needing rest, everyone is different, like a bruise or a broken bone, there can be a timeline but different people react differently.

if he does have a problem then the tahs will address it, if he needs to rest for the remainder of the year im sure he will and people will not gamble on his health, but in terms of your advise, i think the world would do alright without it right now and leaving it to the professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.