• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v. Crusaders, May 29th, Suncorp - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GC

Thoughts from watching the match live:
Richie goes very hard at the ball - amazing seeing him live for the first time.
Last reds penalty right in front of us - looked fair to me
Carter's vision is 2nd to none.
Cooper's ball skills are the best I've seen in 25 years of watching rugby.

C

chriscullen

The crusaders missed Andy Ellis mo. His presence would have had genia and Cooper in fits of laughter thus disrupting their game. It's these 1percenters that win games.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Thoughts from watching the match live:
Richie goes very hard at the ball - amazing seeing him live for the first time.
Last reds penalty right in front of us - looked fair to me
Carter's vision is 2nd to none.
Cooper's ball skills are the best I've seen in 25 years of watching rugby.

I was a true delight to watch two great 5/8's go at it tonight. Completely different players, but each fantastic in their own right.

Some of QC (Quade Cooper)'s play tonight had me and the mate I was watching with shaking our head in disbelief. His place kicking aside, it was one of his best games for the season. At times it bordered on genius. I particularly liked the back hand flick through the two players tackling him. Outrageous.

Carter was control and calm professionalism personified. His kicking from hand and passing were top drawer. He is back to his best I feel.

M

Mainlander

Today we saw why Dickinhimson didn't get a WC reffing position and thank god that he didn't. Incompetent or a cheat, probably both.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Nah, if the roles were reversed I'd laugh at that bad performance from Stewie and thank him for helping out the Saders. :fishing: And there'd be a lot of Reds fans pretty pissed off, I reckon - and rightly so.

Yeah right, perfect objectivity would prevail. Just like it always does.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Very interesting sidebar about this thread. Look at what a side playing well gets. 23 pages of passioned comment. Look at the Tahs thread which was just as close a game. Struggles to raise 8 pages for the second week in a row. There it is in spades, a team executing skills well, playing with passion and commitment engages its fans, they pay to go to the games, they buy merchandise, they buy papers and talk about the team. That pleases sponsors.

Contrast a side with cold professionalism, poor skills and no respect for their fans can barely get comment on their games even from feral fans such as ourselves. The Reds are the Blueprint that all other RU boards in Oz should be looking at. That is not to say they should lose their own style of play, but instead need to execute some basic skills and be truly passionate and engage their fans.

I think it proves for me that attractive rugby can be winning rugby and that if you play a style that is watchable, funnily enough people will come to see it. The Reds were in the rugby wilderness for a good while though, but I'm pleased to see them playing great footy and packing the fans in. The Tahs on paper should be capable of the very same thing, when you look at the talent in their squad. But for reasons known only to themselves, they don't have the same mindset. I don't expect flashy rugby from them every week, but the Lions game was a classic example -- fantastic in the first half, dire in the second.

Anyway, this is about the Reds and I'll derail the thread no further.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I have nothing to add beyond what Cyclo and others have said: great, great win by the Reds but did get the 50/50 calls all night. Poor performance by Stu, but that takes nothing away from a gutsy win that is the exclamation point on the best season we've seen from an Aussie team in quite some time.

As an aside, I think it deserves mentioning that McCaw is an absolutely class act. He might play on the limits of legality but that's his job. He handled his understandable frustration with Stu very well and was gracious in defeat, putting the blame squarely on his own ill discipline. Rocky et al should take notes, lots of them.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah, it was a great game, but it was marred because the decision was crucial and game deciding and ultimately wrong. I reckon Crusaders would have won with any other referee today. Pointless arguing, though. Both teams were pretty flakey at times

I can't believe the bullshit coming from some of you guys. From my perspective the saders were lucky to be playing with 15 men the whole game. They were clearly given a warning at the end of the first half and the were penalized another 3 or 4 time in their own half in the second 40 but didn't receive a yellow. They were lucky not unlucky overall.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
In terms of the reffing I think all non-NSW sides will have issues with Stu Dickenson. (May have had a spelling error there...). However the issue is not due to any inherent bias, but SD does have a style of refereeing that is a little unique. He can be a liitle pedantic and thus those players who don't experience him on a regular basis may struggle with him. He is a ref from NSW and thus players from there will be more used to him and thus appear more favored by him. That said I think there has been too much talk about his role in this game. Various decisions went either way and I don't think either side was favoured by him. From my viewpoint he probably did award too many penalties against the Crusaders. If he had yellow carded one earlier the penalties may have stopped. But regardless of Stu, it was a great game of Rugby. We should look at that and be thankful for than. It was a more dynamic, open and skillful game than the state of origin that was held there last week. Celebrate that. Congratulations to both sides.

Both sides played an attractive and good game with passion and commitment. As Rugby supporters we can not hope for much more. If we go o about the negatives in a spiteful and inane manner, we just lessen the whole thing. Let that shit for Greg Growden (even if he can't write as well as any of the punters here can) and the asinine league writers who will try to belittle that game.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Oh get over the ref, yeah he was average, who cares it happens every week. It was a enthralling game of rugby by the two best teams in the competition infront of a massive crowd, talk about that instead. Surely this thread should be focusing on aspects of the game such as Quade Coopers freakish skills, Radike's defence, infact the defence of both sides, instead of bitching about the ref.

Status
Not open for further replies.