• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheTruth

TSS look dreadful this year - after what has been a stellar several years for the boys from the beach - what - 2 losses and a draw - seasons goooooooooooooone

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
it shouldn't make a difference. Terrace have the best in the gps in atleast 3 positions

Stop taking the piss boys. You're just clogging up the thread.

It was a bad year for terrace and hopefully the boys can salvage a win somewhere but the players you mention are not stars but rather just first 15 standard. I don't mean that in a bad way either, the fact of the matter is that the standard of the competition is quite high compared to the standard of the players terrace is putting on the field every Saturday. Combined with the fact that there fields are stuffed and the rugby program on the whole is pretty shite.

Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat. Terrace rugby will rise again, just not this year.

M

mpete151

mate terrace are going to get pumped by bshs two key players are out due to injury but there are very capable year 11s steping up to the mark

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
BGS have their beastly number eight back to add to pack that dominated a BBC pack that wasn't that bad. Should be menacing. Churchie have the quality in the forwards too though. I won't call it yet until I hear more news, because it will be that close.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
Surely you're joking ?
NC could have run out their 3rds !
Terrace at present wouldn't beat AIC Teams such as Lauries, Ash, Eddies and Padua.

I wouldn't go that far, the gap between GPS and AIC is such that competition between the two is fairly lopsided, I'd pick Terrace even in what is a down
year.

Perhaps not. However special mention to Ben Birgan at no 12 who is one of GPS best flankers. He is toiling manfully out of position and the one player who should be given a run in the GPS 1 trials . The No 8 (Ben Ayala) last years No 7 would no doubt love to be back playing there again. Crookes at 4 is more than holding his own. Mellor at hooker (Year 11) is coming on well and one to look out for as is Given at fullback (year 11). Those lads are standing out in a shockingly beaten team and do not deserve criticism.

They will continue to lose by plenty if they cannot secure less than 10% of the ball.

Birgan most certainly deserves a run at flanker in the trials, regardless of whether it be in the GPS 1's or 2's or CSS. If he were still at flanker, he would be the best in the competition. However he is doing his duty as captain and leading from outside his position, and all due credit to him.

Ayala and Crookes also both deserve to be looked at, those 3 are the best performers in the side and would stand out at any other school.

Given is having an outstanding season, a massive improver from earlier years. While understandably his teams poor performance will hinder his selection chances, his performance at fullback so far has been the best of what I've seen from any school, followed closely by Tom Banks of BBC. Mellor may be stepping up to the mark well, but he shouldn't even be considered for the CSS team - he's merely playing at the standard of the competition, not excelling by any measure. Xavier Power, another year 11 in the Terrace side, has so far impressed with his performance and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the CSS side - he runs hard, defends solidly and most of all plays with alot of heart.

Terrace vs BSHS - BSHS with the win in Carina, however Terrace will come out stronger than expected. State High by 10.

Churchie vs Grammar - The decider for the premiership and match of the round, if not the year. Grammar will be exposed in their first game against a real contender (Ipswich have shown nothing other than a drubbing of the weakest Terrace side of the year to be regarded as contenders). Churchie by at least 10, almost sealing the premiership.

Ipswich vs Nudgee - Nudgee seemed to have recovered from their loss to Churchie, and will shore up their case for 2nd place with a win against Ipswich this week. Expect another strong performance from Tuttle, Nudgee by 15.

TGS vs TSS - A down year for TSS and a slightly better year for TGS. The closest game of the round, TSS by 3.

BBC vs Downlands - From what I've heard about Downlands, I'm tipping them for a victory over a good, but not great, BBC squad. Downlands by 10 in a game that will be closer than the final scoreline will suggest.

Final Predictions after Round 4:
1. ACGS - 0 losses, maybe an upset, but I wouldn't bet on it.
2. NC - 1 loss to ACGS, will run the rest of the table.
3. BGS - losses to Nudgee and Churchie still to come, however a good season from the other school on Gregory Terrace by all means. Definitely a favourite for 2012 if they can keep up the good form, but in typical Grammar fashion they probably won't.
4. IGS - losses to the 3 above will come.
5. BSHS - will perk up a bit after beating Terrace this weekend and may cause a late upset.
6. BBC
7. TGS
8. GT - 2012 is yet to come, and with over 10 year 11's having been blooded at Firsts level this year it's shaping up to be a good one.

F

fourgreatkids

Birgan most certainly deserves a run at flanker in the trials, regardless of whether it be in the GPS 1's or 2's or CSS. If he were still at flanker, he would be the best in the competition. However he is doing his duty as captain and leading from outside his position, and all due credit to him.

Ayala and Crookes also both deserve to be looked at, those 3 are the best performers in the side and would stand out at any other school.

Given is having an outstanding season, a massive improver from earlier years. While understandably his teams poor performance will hinder his selection chances, his performance at fullback so far has been the best of what I've seen from any school, followed closely by Tom Banks of BBC. Mellor may be stepping up to the mark well, but he shouldn't even be considered for the CSS team - he's merely playing at the standard of the competition, not excelling by any measure. Xavier Power, another year 11 in the Terrace side, has so far impressed with his performance and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the CSS side - he runs hard, defends solidly and most of all plays with alot of heart.

if they have such young good young guns, why do they have a points against of over 150 and points for of less then 50??? surely 5 guys should be enough to bring respectability to scorelines
and with your mathc predictions, grammar dominated ipswich who beat state high, so i think that game might be closer than you have tipped maybe an upset, and terrace are gonna cop another blowout this week no matter what, sorry mate but please leave them they have got no chance of any respectability in their scorelines let alone winning

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
From observations attending both GPS and AIC matches I beg to differ.

Give us something better than that...?

Thank you GTjack. Very solid observations and keeping your thoughts realistic, I too would like to see Bergin trialled in GPS 1, but history has shown that GPS 2 has been just as strong and often gains more QLD selections.

This weekends games will be close and I do agree with most observations,

Grammar v ACGS. I don't think grammar will have the same backline fire power as churchie does. Grammar choked ippy with dominant forward play and excellent kicking, i doubt they will have the same dominance over a solid churchie pack which dominate the breakdown led by Mitchell. The strength of churchie is in their backline, all are very capable defenders and can counter attack at any time. Expect the two churchie centres to score points with running plays from Eason at halfback (not confirmed if he will play 9 or 10, awaiting fitness of #9 Jardine). Greene will have a hard game against his former school, especially with spectators and two monstrous wingers running at him all day, Davies at #10 will be rushed by Churchies breakaways and Eason will be keen to make a statement to GPS selectors. Churchie by 10

Ipswich v Nudgee. Reality check for Ipswich, after the loss to grammar they will put their all into this game. I don't see them winning, Nudgee has recovered from their loss to Churchie and seem to be running home strong. Although impressive thus far, Ipswich glory days are still ahead so they will settle for a top 4 finish this year, the premiership is out of reach unless churchie loses. Battle of the backlines will be interesting, ippy forward pack should be able to stay in the game long enough to make this a close contest. Their open style of play gives them the ability to attack at any time and Nudgee will be expecting this. Nudgee by 15

Terrace v State High. Don't want to say too much on this fixture, should be a formality for state high. Expect a few 2nds players to get a run and perhaps resting of sautia and a few others towards the end of the game. Terrace will hopefully show up to play and restore pride but I don't see them staying in this for the whole match. State High by 20+

TGS v TSS. Closest match of the round, TGS have been on the resurgence and are capable of pulling a rabbit out of the hat in this match. TSS on the downward spiral following 100th year last year and possible lack of depth (all know what im referring to). Wouldnt mind seeing a TGS upset in this one, but TSS have a team, that if play together should win this comfortably. TSS by 10, don't be suprised if it swings the other way.

Downlands v BBC. Not too much to contribute to this match discussion, I don't see BBC sending a full strength first XV out for this clash and so downlands should pick up a victory if the talk about their side is in fact true. Expect BBC forward pack to be competitive but unsatisfactory backline which has hurt them all season will again be the nail in the coffin for this clash. Downlands by a few, 3.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
sam greene will dominate his old school

Unlikely with Ioane, Polau, Ninai, Van Swimmer, Davies, Eason all after him. All big, fast, strong and paying their fees. Greene will have a target on his back, so don't think for one second churchie won't know what to expect from him.. Danger man is Davies, the Greene distraction could open up davies kicking game and would end in disaster for the boys in blue and grey.

Churchie vs Grammar - The decider for the premiership and match of the round, if not the year. Grammar will be exposed in their first game against a real contender (Ipswich have shown nothing other than a drubbing of the weakest Terrace side of the year to be regarded as contenders). Churchie by at least 10, almost sealing the premiership.

Brisbane Grammar's 1, 2, 5, 6, 12, 14 are current year 11 boys. To add to this, year 11 boys Lakehm Aiono and Joshua Birch suffered season ending injures- both expected to star throughout the 2011 First XV season. Furthermore, as a result of a red card against IGS, year 11 boy Andrew Saunders started at flanker. Moreover, the current 16A BGS age group have been one of BGS's strongest and most reputable A teams in recent. The team still has many other stars such as Harper and Burke to add to the side next year. Don't be surprised if BGS emerge stronger than ever in 2011.

Unlikely with Ioane, Polau, Ninai, Van Swimmer, Davies, Eason all after him. All big, fast, strong and paying their fees. Greene will have a target on his back, so don't think for one second churchie won't know what to expect from him.. Danger man is Davies, the Greene distraction could open up davies kicking game and would end in disaster for the boys in blue and grey.

BGS were not expected to overcome IGS despite BGS injuries. Grammar have looked very promising already in 2011 with enormous talent across the park in all positions. Headed by Damon Emtage (Queensland Reds Ex Backline Coach), BGS cannot be taken lightly with the structure and creativity Damon brings to the side. The professionalism he embraces upon the squad is remarkable.
Expect a blinder at Northgate No. 1 on Saturday

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Brisbane Grammar's 1, 2, 5, 6, 12, 14 are current year 11 boys. To add to this, year 11 boys Lakehm Aiono and Joshua Birch suffered season ending injures- both expected to star throughout the 2011 First XV season. Furthermore, as a result of a red card against IGS, year 11 boy Andrew Saunders started at flanker. Moreover, the current 16A BGS age group have been one of BGS's strongest and most reputable A teams in recent. The team still has many other stars such as Harper and Burke to add to the side next year. Don't be surprised if BGS emerge stronger than ever in 2011.

We all know grammar are bound for a strong finish this year, but wouldn't the ages of these players make them stronger for next year? I doubt grammar is the only team with this many grade 11s in the first XV. I know for a fact Churchies 6,8,9,10,11,14,15 are all grade 11s so with this talent in these two teams maybe we can expect the emergence of new powerhouses next year? Ippy will be up there as too will nudgee as always. TSS and BSHS era seems to be drawing to a close

We all know grammar are bound for a strong finish this year, but wouldn't the ages of these players make them stronger for next year? I doubt grammar is the only team with this many grade 11s in the first XV. I know for a fact Churchies 6,8,9,10,11,14,15 are all grade 11s so with this talent in these two teams maybe we can expect the emergence of new powerhouses next year? Ippy will be up there as too will nudgee as always. TSS and BSHS era seems to be drawing to a close

TSS and BSHS era's are certainly not drawing to a close. Rather, other schools are emerging within the GPS competition as strong teams. Expect extremely high quality rugby from all schools in the years to come.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)

11 not 14 is a year 11

O

OLDDOG

TSS look dreadful this year - after what has been a stellar several years for the boys from the beach - what - 2 losses and a draw - seasons goooooooooooooone

Sad but true. injuries have hurt them badly, depth is a real issue. They've got some great players in the team, but you can't play against 15 men with only 11 guys having the goods, too much load to carry. Yes they have'nt won a game yet, but the 2 games I saw were close , and physical. All the boys gave it their everything, (hell I couldnt have been out there, it was brutal) but there's just too many unforced errors with set plays and the like. Best drilled side I've seen so far is churchie, whom I now believe will challenge Nudgee for the title. Nudgee also looking pretty strong, but this season is a cracker, every team seems to have weaknesses which can, and no doubt will be exploited to effect. I reckon every team will lose at least one or two games this year......

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Moses has set up a results wiki and there is one for Qld GPS here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/showwiki/2011+Queensland+Schoolboy+Rugby+Results

This will be a handy reference for folks like me who have to look things up because they can't remember things. But it needs the help of forum members to get it going.

The Qld. GPS wiki starts with Round 1; so could some kind soul please follow Moses' instructions and put the results starting from Round 1. Or if you just know the results from R2 etc put that it and people who know the results from R1 can put them in above yours. Even if you know just one result from one round, that's OK.

Just follow the instructions. I haven't used it myself yet because Sydney GPS hasn't started.

Scores - put the Home result first even if they lost.

If anybody has trouble inputting info, or has stuffed up and somebody delivers a pizza to your place because of it. post a query on the thread about the wiki to THE MAN - Moses:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/8118-Schools-Rugby-Results-2011

He will pay for the pizzas.

Other people will probably have the same kind of questions and they can see the answers. By all means, if somebody knows the answer, make a reply ASAP and don't wait for Moses, who is busy enough.

Volunteer needed

Could somebody volunteer to be responsible for overseeing the Qld GPS thread results? Just make sure that the results are right compared to what has been reported in this thread or by looking it up somewhere.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.