• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys and National Championships 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Blindside

Blindside - Why not just fill in all the blanks with Newington boys while you're at it... :)

I only picked three and they are all outstanding. Ezra and Brogan are NSW players and Mark Baldwin is the form open side flanker in the GPS. If Tom Connor and Michael Wells can make Aust Schools then so can Bladwin.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Browning (BSHS) is playing 7 in the Qld GPS at the moment. He won't be selected at 8 for Oz schools, first preference would be 4/5, then perhaps 7. The quality of the backrowers in Qld GPS has been astonishing, there are so many to choose from no one really knows who will make Qld 1.
thought i may throw forward some names who are possibilities of making qld 1. (schools/2010 Rep)
Props: Petowa Paraka (TSS/GPS 1/Qld 2)
Hookers: Maile Ngauamo (IGS//GPS 1/Qld 1/Aus Schools 1), Campbell Wakely (TSS/GPS 2/Qld 1)
Second Row: Curtis Browning (BSHS/GPS 1/Qld 1/Aus Schools 1), Sam Fattal (TSS)
Flankers: Conor Mitchell (ACGS/NTS), Kristian Satui (NC/GPS 1/Qld 1), Joseph Swann (BSHS/GPS 1/Qld 2), Caleb Timu (Marsden State High/GPS 1/Qld 1)
Number 8: Liume Maile (BSHS), Levi Aauma (BGS/GPS 1)
Scrum Halves: Ben Meehan (BSHS/GPS 1/Qld 1)
Fly Half: Grant Davies (BGS/GPS 1/QLD 1/ Aus Schools 2)
Centre: Chris F'Sautia (BSHS/GPS 1/QLD 1/ Aus Schools 1)

B

baldingwingforward

I only picked three and they are all outstanding. Ezra and Brogan are NSW players and Mark Baldwin is the form open side flanker in the GPS. If Tom Connor and Michael Wells can make Aust Schools then so can Bladwin.

Ezra got absolutely destroyed at scrums by Mackenzie Kulen yesterday... There is no way that he is a good enough scrummager to play Australian schoolboys. If he did get picked he would get eaten alive when they come up against the English who are here this year... Doesn't matter how good he is at carrying the ball, first and foremost your props need to be able to scrummage, but there again that is one of the problems with Aussie rugby. They pick ball playing props first and then wonder why they get hammered at the set piece!

Baldwin - great player, but not quick enough to play 7 at the top level.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Baldwin will have a lot of competition interstate. Regardless if he dominates NSW GPS he will have to be a very well rounded player to make Aust Schoolboys and 'baldingforward' seems to think he's not up to it. Perhaps leave that spot vacant until state teams are announced.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Was Baldwin 7 for Newington at the weekend? if so, I would say he is an excellent chance for Aus Schools. He was the stand-out for New.

P

pitbull

Baldwin may not get a chance as he is currently injured, therefore most likely missing out on gps selection and further representation.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Baldwin may not get a chance as he is currently injured, therefore most likely missing out on gps selection and further representation.
It would seem that there are a lot of injured school kids out there this year. (Much like the state sides in the Super Rugby). Would my perception be correct that injuries are a little more prevalent this year than in the past?

P

pitbull

It would seem that there are a lot of injured school kids out there this year. (Much like the state sides in the Super Rugby). Would my perception be correct that injuries are a little more prevalent this year than in the past?

Perhaps. If baldwin is gone for newington, along with mcdonald, there season looks alot bleaker.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ah tunnel vision south of the boarder, I like it. I'm going to go ahead right now and tip the Aust schoolboys 6 and 7 to both be from Queensland. Caleb Timu and Kristian Satui to be exact. Don't throw Curtis Browning out of the equation, he's guaranteed a spot in the locks (selected last year) but the kid has been playing 7 all season for State High (as captain may I add) and is really quite a handful

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
As far as I'm concerned Browning can play anywhere he wants to, though as I've been saying since 2009 - he is by nature an 8.

He and Chris F'Sautia will be the first ones picked in the Oz squad if they are healthy. And young Chris can play anywhere he wants to also: wing for Oz Schools Ones for two years (and in 2009 at 15 years old), yet he plays 13 at school.

I know his dad, but does he have a grandmother born in NSW? I want to claim him for NSW as soon as he walks out of the school gates for the last time. Qld has too many good young outside backs already.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As far as I'm concerned Browning can play anywhere he wants to, though as I've been saying since 2009 - he is by nature an 8.

He and Chris F'Sautia will be the first ones picked in the Oz squad if they are healthy. And young Chris can play anywhere he wants to also: wing for Oz Schools Ones for two years (and in 2009 at 15 years old), yet he plays 13 at school. I know his dad, but does he have a grandmother born in NSW? I want to claim him for us as soon as he walks out of the school gates for the last time.

Haha the Tahs can claim him as much as they want, Queensland Rugby Union have their hands all over him right now. I'd like to see him play 13 just quietly, he's been playing there for BSHS all year. Terrorises the defence and he's just scary to see in any backline, I feel his talent is wasted on the wing.

As for Browning I think chances are he will play 7. He seems to prefer getting involved in the breakdowns and has the size and speed to play anywhere in the backrow. Only real reason you would pick him at 4 or 5 is his height and experience but I don't think he will be playing there for Oz schools unless there is an abudance of talent at 6,7,8

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Or maybe just suggesting he is as good as they were without meaning to lob an aspersion.

Lee

It is obligatory on these sites to go for the aspersions every time. I even think you have slyly lobbed one yourself there (or that's how I'm interpreting it).

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Ah tunnel vision south of the boarder, I like it. I'm going to go ahead right now and tip the Aust schoolboys 6 and 7 to both be from Queensland. Caleb Timu and Kristian Satui to be exact. Don't throw Curtis Browning out of the equation, he's guaranteed a spot in the locks (selected last year) but the kid has been playing 7 all season for State High (as captain may I add) and is really quite a handful

well it will beinteresting at nationals wont it. There is an abundance of talent in the backrow in NSW. Last years Oz schoolboys Wells and Dombkins will have to be strong contenders with others such as Walters, Groom and Baldwin vying for the 7 spot.

I cant make wild parochial suggestions without seeing all contenders. I will wait until 10 July to see who makes it

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I take back Caleb Timu. The kid was a star of the GPS comp last year with Nudgee College, decided to move to Marsden State High School and he's getting shown up. Made Qld 1 easily last year, struggled to make the bench for CSS team last week.

I

International Badboy

Talk is Le Lievre (joeys) is going to be GPS and probably NSW fullback (if not probably then, possibly) anyway he seems to have the goods, what are the Fullbacks like up north?

I

International Badboy

Also whos this kid who played OZ school boys when he was 15 ???

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also whos this kid who played OZ school boys when he was 15 ???

Chris F'Sautia. I assume that's who your talking about. Goes to Brisbane State High, he's apparently freakishly good, can play 11,13,14,15. If given the choice he will take the 13 jumper. Will become the most capped Australian Schoolboy ever this year if he avoids injury

As for fullbacks north of the boarder. Very slim pickings, there's one or two standouts in GPS but none that would make the Oz schools. Kaele Bowen (IGS) plays much like kurtley beale, minus the kicking game. Exceptional speed (100,200,high jump, long jump, triple jump. GPS Champion). He's a master of the broken play, lacks a little in size but makes up for it in speed and agility. Kicking is his downfall so probably not up to Oz standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.