• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sulidoror

...have joey's by any chance just decided to de-emphasise rugby ?....

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Pete Barrett and Max Jones are both very accomplished players from Grammar. Both deserving of spots. Had James Ryan not been forced to play 9 (due to a complete lack of depth in that spot at SGS) and been played at 15 all season, I wouldn't have been surprised to see him get a spot too.

And they, like boys from Grammar over the past few years, deserved better than the token 3s and reserves spot. I love seeing all the bleating from other schools but the crap good players from Grammar gave to endure year after year from these selectors is pathetic. But there's more to come. Just wait till you see what happens on match day for the GPS 3s. It is a disgraceful farce.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
They are fcuking kidding themselves!!
Roods - totally robbed.
Kulen - what did this kid have to do to get picked, He single handedly smashed the New scrum (and all of the others) and he can't even get in the 3s? That is a joke!!

How did Shore 13 not get a gig? (I would rate him higher than the Joeys 13!!)

Joeys have won 2 of their games this season. They got smashed by View and Scots - yet they have the 2nd highest representation? Scots got pumped by View!
Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The leather patch old farts brigade at their best!

Absolute joke.

I'm with you 100% no 200%. imagine how bad it is for the odd boy from Grammar who is good and can compete at a high level but doesn't even get a look in except for 3s to make it look fair. Is that guy from Shore still coordinating GPS rugby?

W

waves

GPS Reps by School:

Newington: 7
Joey's: 11
Scot's: 13
View: 10
King's: 5
Shore: 6
Grammar: 2

Also from an unbiased view on players this year GPS selections process really needs a review likewise to NSW selections.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Out of interest, who are the GPS selectors?

Anyone actually prepared to be a selector and pick their own team. It seems a pretty tough job to me when there have been only 2 comp games and I would have thought it would be dangerous to pick on last year's form given how much a 16/17/18 year old could develop in a year.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Out of interest, who are the GPS selectors?

Anyone actually prepared to be a selector and pick their own team. It seems a pretty tough job to me when there have been only 2 comp games and I would have thought it would be dangerous to pick on last year's form given how much a 16/17/18 year old could develop in a year.

I'm happy to be one. Selecting a team so early is a joke particulatly when one school (Grammar) hasnt played the others as much as they've played each other. The GPS selectors include teachers from a few schools. They are not coaches of good teams just a few guys with a folder and pen who can't tell what happens in tight but what looks flash. The loudest voice wins. It's about advocacy.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm happy to be one. Selecting a team so early is a joke particulatly when one school (Grammar) hasnt played the others as much as they've played each other. The GPS selectors include teachers from a few schools. The loudest voice wins. It's about advocacy.

Sorry I wasn't asking if you wanted to be an actual GPS selector, I was asking you to pick your team or teams and post them on this forum.

B

baldingwingforward

Sorry I wasn't asking if you wanted to be an actual GPS selector, I was asking you to pick your team or teams and post them on this forum.

I'll have a crack mate:

I have every team at least once. Sorry Spewn but i don't think any of them other than Barrat are good enough.
If i was head selector and judging on the form i have seen this is what should have been picked:

GPS 1s 2s 3s
O'Brien (I) Ezra (N)(can't scrummage!) Van de Lark (S)
Lane (I) Barratt (G) Guilfoyle (J)
Alan (N) Kulen (I) McMullen (S)
Rorke (I) Whiteley (I) Rae (E)
Kovacic (J) Robertson (I) Bj Edwards (J)
Dempsey (I) Baraket (S) Kings 6 (K)
Walters (S) Baldwin (N) Hall (N)
Wells (I) Miller (S) Vilmaa (K)
Merriman (E) Kay (j) Cage (I)
Vaux (I) King (E) Horwitz ( S)
Roye (N) Redden (I) Carroll (E)
Stewart (S) McBryde (I) Hedley (E)
Roods (N) Wileman (E) Barclay (J)
Lalakai (K) Kellaway (S) Hedley (E)
Le Lievre (J) Edwards (I) Gallagher (S)

M

magpie52

I've seen most play and have no ties with any school.

My comments:

Front row: I saw Scots demolish the Joeys scrum today and all 3 from joeys got in ? a few weeks ago I saw Riverview forwards, particularly the front row dominate New. I feel for their guys. Kulen had to be there

2nd row. I think they have the best 2 in the 1sts

Back row: If all are fit, that is my back row. If Baldwin is out, I'd go with Waletrs. I saw what he did today to Deegan. The Joeys forwards should have sorted him out for that. They didn't. Shame. That said, while he was on the ground attacking Deegan joeys scored.

Half: have not seen a standout

10: Horitz head and shoulders above the others. That is a shock, as is Deegan

Backs: got no problem with Kellaway. Can play.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'll stick up for the selectors here. To a point anyway. There is a lot of misinformation about the GPS selectors on these boards. People bag the selectors themselves and the selection process without any real idea what goes on. They bag them because player X outplayed player Y the day they saw them. But with all things schoolboys, everyone sees things from their perspective, which is usually not exactly unbiased. The fact is the selectors have seen more GPS rugby than you have, and have probably seene every side play twice. They have received extensive feedback from each side's coaches, and communicated among themselves as to likely candidates in each position.

I haven't seen any GPS rugby this season so can't comment on this year's selections. But to paint the selectors as one-eyed, know-nothing muppets like some here have is a bit much.

That said, some schools get dudded year in year out. Mainly Shore and to a lesser extent Grammar. I remember in 2006 Shore were equal premiers and had no-one in GPS 1s, and only one boy in GPS 2s. On the flipside some schools always have a swag of boys in the teams no matter where they are on the ladder. Mainly Scots (which is staggering considering they haven't been a serious premiership contender for donkey's years) but to a lesser extent View.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I haven't seen any GPS rugby this season so can't comment on this year's selections. But to paint the selectors as one-eyed, know-nothing muppets like some here have is a bit much.

That said, some schools get dudded year in year out. Mainly Shore and to a lesser extent Grammar. I remember in 2006 Shore were equal premiers and had no-one in GPS 1s, and only one boy in GPS 2s. On the flipside some schools always have a swag of boys in the teams no matter where they are on the ladder. Mainly Scots (which is staggering considering they haven't been a serious premiership contender for donkey's years) but to a lesser extent View.

Am with you here, Barbie...

However to be fair re Shore in 2006, they came out of nowwhere to beat View in the last round when View already had won the premiership after beating Kings and Joeys, if my memory serves me right, in the two weeks preceding, and had not figured in the premiership calculations at all earlier on in the season when the GPS teams were picked.

U

unclechester

Am with you here, Barbie...

However to be fair re Shore in 2006, they came out of nowwhere to beat View in the last round when View already had won the premiership after beating Kings and Joeys, if my memory serves me right, in the two weeks preceding, and had not figured in the premiership calculations at all earlier on in the season when the GPS teams were picked.

Not sure your memory does serve you right. In 2006 Shore beat Joeys, View did not.

K

knight

I don't like ruing selections or hanging on them, but it still amazes me that JOEYS and scots have more then riverview. They seem to be picking combinations, why would you not go with Mackenzie Kulen and Sam O'brien for gps 1s. Riverview flogged scots, riverview flogged joeys. An undefeated team, with 3 representatives in the 1s!. And I don't like pointing but ill take the bias out and look at the selection of deegan amazes me. I have watched every view game this season, the best flyhalf we played by a country mile was shores 10. I am trying to look at these selections as a non supporter but ill go back to my original point. An undefeated team, with 3 representatives in the 1s!

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I'll have a crack mate:

I have every team at least once. Sorry Spewn but i don't think any of them other than Barrat are good enough.
If i was head selector and judging on the form i have seen this is what should have been picked:

GPS 1s 2s 3s
O'Brien (I) Ezra (N)(can't scrummage!) Van de Lark (S)
Lane (I) Barratt (G) Guilfoyle (J)
Alan (N) Kulen (I) McMullen (S)
Rorke (I) Whiteley (I) Rae (E)
Kovacic (J) Robertson (I) Bj Edwards (J)
Dempsey (I) Baraket (S) Kings 6 (K)
Walters (S) Baldwin (N) Hall (N)
Wells (I) Miller (S) Vilmaa (K)
Merriman (E) Kay (j) Cage (I)
Vaux (I) King (E) Horwitz ( S)
Roye (N) Redden (I) Carroll (E)
Stewart (S) McBryde (I) Hedley (E)
Roods (N) Wileman (E) Barclay (J)
Lalakai (K) Kellaway (S) Hedley (E)
Le Lievre (J) Edwards (I) Gallagher (S)

BJ Edwards goes to Scots not Joeys
Joeys second rower is Sandell

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I agree with BWF's team and comments as well as most of Barbarian's (although I'm not averse to giving the selectors a serve). My point about Grammar is that the occasional good player should be in 1s or 2s not constantly in 3s or a reserve. It's nearly impossible to advance when you only play one game in the selection week and don't make it to the Friday games. Doesn't really matter if only make 2s because you can still make it into a NSW team. Those in the 3s have no chance unless there are injuries or you have a posse of supporters further up the food chain (as happened last year with Wells).

I'd like to the stats for the number of gps reps from each school from 2006. I think the system changed (like time in season when selections made) from 2007 so the before and after numbers may be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.