• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Finals predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Blues are only playing so-so at the moment. They've been going downhill since they lost Toeava and despite the Eden Park hoodoo I think the Tahs are a good chance if they can get 15 half-fit guys on the paddock. In the other qualifier, the Saders look to be favourites to down the Sharks. That will mean a Reds - Waratahs semi, which will be awesome. If we have enough fit players then the game will be more intense than the final. The Tahs were filthy that they didn't get a result in Brisbane last time and will be out for vengeance on the scoreboard. The Saders have to play the Stormers at home, rested. That will be another very tough outing because the Saders travel well, but I'm tipping the Stormers in a close one.

So, if the Reds win the Stormers have to fly to brisbane and I think that they'll be done by the travel and Suncorp. If the Tahs beat the Reds then they'll fly to SA for the final, which I think just might be a bridge too far. My early season prediction that you HAD to finish first or second to be a realistic chance of winning is still looking good.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
We were the weaker conference. The Force and Brumbies both underperformed, though the latter decided to find their mojo for a couple of games in time to give the Reds indigestion. The 3rd and 4th placed australian teams didn't do enough against other sides.

I guess the Tahs did bully the other Australian sides without travelling well, but injuries and the constant uncertainty with Barnes made them pretty uneven through the bulk of the season. They have found some form again at just the right time, the Blues should be worried.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Crusaders vs Tahs final. Repeat of 2008 but this time Beale and Vickerman won't get injured so we'll win.

dougdew99

Allen Oxlade (6)
My reading of the play off rules is that if the Reds reach the final, they can only be playing the Crusaders or the Blues. Is this correct?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Nope. They could be playing any of the finalists. I think.

For example.

Both the 'Tahs and Sharks win this weekend. That would mean.

Reds v Sharks

Stormers v 'Tahs

From there we could conceivably have a Reds v Tahs grand final or (and even less likely) a Tahs v Sharks grand final.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
But what is likely to happen versus what potentially could happen are two different things.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I would like to see wins for the Tahs & Sharks this weekend.

Reds haven't played the Sharks this year so would be good to have to get past them to make the final.

Thesharpedge

Frank Row (1)
So the Reds can only meet the Blues, Tahs or Sharks in the Semi's.

I hope it's the Sharks. We haven't played them yet.

I am confident we (reds) can beat any team at Suncorp. All we need is for the teams this week to smash each other!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If the Tahs win the Reds game will be a couple of days before Origin 3. Huge QLD vs NSW weekend.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If the Tahs win the Reds game will be a couple of days before Origin 3. Huge QLD vs NSW weekend.

Yes, if the Crusaders get up then the "Boo the Blues" Festival is coming to Suncorp next week with either 2 NSW teams or 2 teams called "the Blues".

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The more I look at the finals, the more I think the medical staff will be the key issue.

All sides have loads of injuries (except the Stormers, but they just lost Vermeulen)

So we the Reds with loads coming back
The Crusaders with SBW & Maitland returning
The Blues may have Toeava back

etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.