• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Semi Final 1: Blues vs Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes, LG, I thought he went very well. There was no evidence of the low percentage options that often characterise a player coming back from Sevens to proper rugby.

A

a don

GO TAHS. Only 240 minutes of rugby to go to win the Super Rugby trophy.

The subs can do it.

Then thrash the Reds and we are into the final.

whoo hoooo

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Michalak played in only two games. SANZAR had to clear him as an injury replacement for the Shorks backup scrum-half to be able to play this weekend (besides it's four games, not three, to be eligible).

100% sure he was in the 22 for 3, did he not get on against the Cheetahs? Moot point since it's 4 anyway. BS that he's allowed to play because he's "scrum-half cover". We should claim Vickerman is backrow cover.

H

high tower

Holmes has played almost every week for the Rats while McKIbbon has warmed the bench for the Tahs this season. Holmes has 50 super 15 games and Mckibbon less than 2 run on games. It was a simple choice for Hickey.
His no Burgess in defence, but offers plenty in attack, look for him to score at least one try, always backs up a player who makes a break and will back himself when the tahs get some forward momentum.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mckibbon is good, Holmes is afraid of contact and stands there pointing at the ball as it is pilfered instead of digging it out.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The key variable in this game for me is that of whether, with all the 'new' Tahs players and new player combinations, the Tahs' highly impressive all-of-80 wall of impenetrable defence and the related aggressive counter defence will be sustainable in Auckland. If it's there consistently, this monolith (the best in the S15 in recent rounds) - so much more powerful as a game changer than when these teams last met - will absolutely frustrate a team like the Blues into overplaying and impatience and (for the Tahs' gain) productive errors will result. If the Tahs can exploit these foibles with rapid Beale-inspired counter attacks that no one drops, and with the Blues erratic defence, the Tahs could win, and win quite well IMO.

W

Waylon

Tahs can win
Some of the "second stringers" would now seriously threaten for inclusion in the "best team".........and they are hungry

Tahs in a boilover

tahs have been playing well the last few weeks. The Blues have been rubbish. The Blues have lost the two blokes the Tahs couldn't contain.

If the Tahs can win the battle of the breakdown, they'll win it

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We also lost Mitchell and KB (Kurtley Beale) from 15. The two blokes the Blues couldn't contain...

W

Waylon

Your glass is half empty

It'll be wet, cold and shitty.........who gives a shite about backs?

The tahs turn up in a mean mood and belt the sh1t out of anything that runs at them. Dominate the collisions

It's a mindset

I'm backing them in.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Really depends on which Blues team comes to play.

The team which played against the Reds, Stormers and Chiefs (round 2) or the one that played against the Crusaders (twice), Waratahs and Highlanders......

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Open and honestly, you belted the shit out of us. We should probably thank you as it kicked us into gear.

You're welcome and if -- should the opportunity arise -- you could go back to getting belted it would be much appreciated. :D

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just cause I don't really pay attention to NZ teams other than the Saders and Hurricanes, who's got the kicking boots on for the Blues. I imagine it's either MacAllister or Brett? may become quite important scraping for points in wet conditions.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McAlister or Munro. Should be McAlister.

It's a big issue for the Tahs - Beale hasn't kicked too well this year and there will be plenty of shots at goal.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anything over 30m and I'd trust Beale to kick it with my life (kick against the boks gave me such confidence). Put him 10m out, right in front of the posts with the scores level and whole different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.